• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Croatian train crash & lucky escape

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Blimey thats quite a bad crash, what loonie drivers they have over there there almost needed rescuers for the rescuers

Jordy

Established Member
We hope does yes we do is not libertine leg train because unattended management HŽ - and about puzzle with leg slope trains upozoravao <snip> oštećenja. Uttermost had way with djelatnicima Croatian željeznica about Tom puzzle interview 2006. year He said unattended them for want ultrazvučne controller , as well as at an this

That makes no sense atall!

hope tht sorta help u tekk the story Translations:

Nor does that! ;) Please check your posts before you submit them

From what i've heard the small thing that speeds past lost control in the same way the derailed train did - not certain but thats what i'm lead to believe.

Zamracene749

One theory going about was that the original crash (and probably this one) was down to some form of chemical railhead contamination up the line causing loss of traction- maybe from a leaking tank on an earlier train?

Pure speculation of course. Scary stuff though.

Bittern

Established Member
That's because it's being directly translated. A direct translation almost never makes sense.

Established Member
That's because it's being directly translated. A direct translation almost never makes sense.

yup, basicly all I know is a trains de-railed and a road/rail vehical almost did the same, by the looks of it I think there may be a sharp gradient leading into a curve but I cant say 100%

VTF whats that that you have posted?
also a quick note for you your not allowed to use text speak e.g tht ;)

jamesontheroad

Established Member
From an unsourced quote, via the Amtrak Trains Forum:

Amazing footage of train crash near Rudine in Croatia when the service vehicle arriving to help in train crash that happened few moments earlier also crashed into misfortune train. 6 of about 156 passengers have died.
Passengers were notified that breaks dont work on the downhill just before the crash.

Update: It Becomes more obvious that the main reason for both accidents is a liquid sprinkled on railroad tracks, which is commonly used against the weed so it would not catch fire when braking. Railroad workers claim that it should take 4 hours for liquid to dry but eyewitnesses claim that the railroad was greasy even the day after. The theory is confirmed by the train operator that was sent to pick up passengers after the accident, and it began to slide backwards in the proximity of accident site.
Liquid was most likely sprayed by the same vehicle crashing in this video, as you can see that tank it was carrying was damaged in the crash.

At first I understood it to be weedkiller, but in fact the liquid sprayed onto the track bed is a fire retardent to prevent the heat / sparks generated by braking trains from igniting fires in the track or trackside vegetation.

See also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Rudine_train_derailment

Just to update, I was there the day after the line reopened.
The crash occured on a steep downhill gradient, the front coach bounced off BOTH sides of the rock cutting. If the one power car had bounced a little further it would have also DROPPED about 30 meters.
I could see remains of peoples clothes and blood stains in the area.
The 2 power cars are dumped around the back of Solin depot, I have the unpleasant pictures.
A HZ director was arrested, and the on screen headline just said murderer!
Back in Split in a few weeks:)

Status
Not open for further replies.