• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crop top made from Chiltern Seat wraparound cover

Status
Not open for further replies.

brad465

Established Member
Really unsure where to put this story but don't think here is wildly out of place:

1610125702676.png
A fashion student has been warned not to sell prohibited items on the clothes app, Depop, after she posted an advert for a top made from a train seat cover.

Mhari Thurston-Tyler made the bandeau out of a Chiltern Railways seat cover designed to promote social distancing during the coronavirus pandemic.

The 20-year-old sold the top for £15 but later refunded her customer and took the advert down.

Depop said the item "clearly violates our terms of service".

The app for buying and selling second-hand clothes said the sale of stolen goods was banned - but Ms Thurston-Tyler denied stealing.

She told BBC News she found two of the blue seat covers "balled up on the floor" outside Marylebone station in London in September.

Ms Thurston-Tyler, who is a fashion student at Central Saint Martins, re-sewed one of the covers to make it fit her, before deciding to advertise the second cover on Depop.

"I have no money at the moment so decided to put the second one on Depop to see if anyone would buy it," she said, adding that the app had become her main source of income as she has struggled to find other work during the pandemic.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

infobleep

Veteran Member
I hadn't realised some TOCs were covering their seats with these wraparounds.

I think more train operating companies should do this. Where possible they could put it on head rests. Then they would look much like the head rests covers you get in first class.

On some trains this would make standard class as good as first class, whilst promoting social distancing!

I do wonder why anyone would use first class in the south east currently. To be fair some services have reasonably better first class which might make it worth while but others clearly don't and seeing the wraparound just made me think of head rest covers on a declassified first class compartment on a class 700 service.

Although the student shouldn't have done what they did I do like the idea of the social distance clothing.

They are technically steeling someone else's design, not to mention property. That's even before you get into the argument of was it left outside Marylebone Station or taken from the train. If it really was taken from outside Marylebone, one does have to ask how they got there.

Last edited by a moderator:

brad465

Established Member
I thought it was more of a "boob tube" !
This may not be an appropriate reaction, but in the grand scheme of things this is an amusing headline that I'm glad happened. It's also the BBC site's most read article at time of writing, despite the top story being the news of 1325 deaths with Covid.

Domh245

Established Member

brad465

Established Member
I don't know if they've updated the picture since you posted it, but it's a bit more Not-safe-for-work now. Perhaps that's why it's the most read story
No it's still there: forgive me for being naïve, when you say "not-safe-for-work" do you mean it's an inappropriate image?

Domh245

Established Member
No it's still there: forgive me for being naïve, when you say "not-safe-for-work" do you mean it's an inappropriate image?

It's certainly not the sort of image I'd expected to see on the most read story on the BBC. It makes it abundantly clear that no bra was worn during the modelling of the top...

It's especially odd as the version of the picture that was copied in your original post would appear to have been edited to make it less inappropriate

yorksrob

Veteran Member
This may not be an appropriate reaction, but in the grand scheme of things this is an amusing headline that I'm glad happened. It's also the BBC site's most read article at time of writing, despite the top story being the news of 1325 deaths with Covid.

Well, it made me chuckle - and goodness knows we all need one !

If she obtained some of Northern Rail's blue and yellow ones, she could start up a range :lol:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
This is clearly inappropriate clothing for this time of year and as such we’re going to have to lock this for now until there’s a more appropriate winter version featuring at least ten times as many seat covers.
If someone finds a story featuring a winter version then please contact the forum team.

Sorry all...

Status
Not open for further replies.