• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cross-City Electrification from Barnt Green to Bromsgrove

Status
Not open for further replies.

59CosG95

Established Member
Never been on a Voyager, but when they were loco-hauled by class 45/46/47 in the 1970s/80s/90s charging at 80mph at the bottom with 10 on, they would be doing around 34mph at the top. I couldn't put my hand on 35/42/43 hauled logs but I have some double headed Warships somewhere from 1968/69. I have only been down the Lickey behind Westerns. Notable was a run from New Street to Cheltenham stop in a few seconds over 36 minutes behind 1066 Western Nobleman in 1975 with a late running train off the 25kv to Plymouth. We touched 100 mph over the River Avon at Defford.
HSTs were only a few mph faster than loco hauled despite the higher power to weight ratio.
Once, on a charter from Gloucester, a class 40 struggled to make 20mph at the top.
Even if the loco in question could still make 100mph, the difference between HSTs and LHCS south of the wires would be marginal, as the route between Cheltenham & Bromsgrove has a lot of half-barrier level crossings.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

deltic08

On Moderation
Even if the loco in question could still make 100mph, the difference between HSTs and LHCS south of the wires would be marginal, as the route between Cheltenham & Bromsgrove has a lot of half-barrier level crossings.
My post was ambiguous re-reading it. I should have said HSTs were no more than 3 or 4 mph faster at the top of the Lickey than loco-hauled.
The run from New St to Cheltenham was in 1975, before introduction of HSTs on this route in 1981/82?, and unprecedented in running at 100mph behind a 'Western' with such a load when restricted to 90mph top speed. This was the fastest start to stop loco-hauled time I ever recorded in this direction between these two stations in thirty years of timing trains. Faster than 95mph class 47s. It was even more unusual because the Westerns were not being maintained well at this time and only used on passenger turns in the Summer as most stock by now was ETH fitted only.
To see the full log see Practice & Performance by Ossie Nock in Railway Magazine May 1975 as one of my logs published by him.

thecrofter

I ve seen the system described in Rail Engineer as boosterless classic but ATF ready - does this mean it can go faster before the solder melts

The OLE system from Barnt Green to Bromsgrove is indeed Boosterless Classic i.e. Rail Return with Return Screening Conductor (RSC). NR can no longer install a booster transformer system with Return Conductor (RC) as this does not comply with the Electricity at Work Regulations.

The ATF readiness (passive provision) is purely from a structure loading perspective in that it has been designed to accommodate the additional weight of any future ATF conductor and associated small part steelwork (SPS).

jhy44

I hadn't realized that the Sunday frequency of the XC South had been improved to 4tph as of 20 May, what a delightful surprise when arriving at New Street yesterday afternoon.

It's annoying however that rather than it being a 15 minute interval, it's alternating 10 then 20 minute gaps in service; similar to what we get of at evening.

I presume it's due to pathing reasons, but why can't paths be tweaked to give a constant 15 min service?

59CosG95

Established Member
I hadn't realized that the Sunday frequency of the XC South had been improved to 4tph as of 20 May, what a delightful surprise when arriving at New Street yesterday afternoon.

It's annoying however that rather than it being a 15 minute interval, it's alternating 10 then 20 minute gaps in service; similar to what we get of at evening.

I presume it's due to pathing reasons, but why can't paths be tweaked to give a constant 15 min service?
AIUI, there will eventually be 6tph (every 10 minutes) as per weekdays, so writing a 10 minute gap/20 minute gap timetable would minimise the rewrite when the clockface 10 minute intervals finally go live.
It may also be the case that the Sunday frequency of the XC (North) won't bel able to increase until New Street is totally resignalled; when that occurs is not yet known (in concrete).

The Planner

Veteran Member
New St re-signalling makes no difference to running 6tph on the Cross City North, it won't unlock anything either as it will be like for like.

jhy44

New St re-signalling makes no difference to running 6tph on the Cross City North, it won't unlock anything either as it will be like for like.

Ohhh, my mistake. Can't think why the 6tph Sunday service has been staggered in this way; possibly the XC timetable?

Really? I haven't heard anything about 6tph on Sundays, that would be wonderful.

As for the North, the weekday evening frequency is also only 2tph, unlike the South's 4 tph, so the new Sunday service mirrors this, it's very annoying, surely the demand would be there!

Idon'tKnow

?
As for the North, the weekday evening frequency is also only 2tph, unlike the South's 4 tph, so the new Sunday service mirrors this, it's very annoying, surely the demand would be there!

The demand is definitely there, the trains on Sunday, even with six carriages are always well loaded, I even recall the 17:0something from new street to Lichfield being full and standing until blake street. At least we get a **tiny** service improvement of the 09:33 starting from Four Oaks though.

linuxlad7

keith posts as melmerby on rmweb I think .
The post includes a side panel giving details of 323 runs from sunday 29th july on

InOban

Established Member
July 29th for public service is now being reported in the media.

Shrewbly

July 29th for public service is now being reported in the media.
It looks like the 323s are scheduled to be extended to Bromsgrove on the 29th July, but with Barnt Green and Bromsgrove showing as unadvertised stops. Not sure whether this has any effect or not. From the 30th they are shown as in full public service.

linuxlad7

30 July being a Monday makes sense as start date.

In the meantime it would be excellent if Tom Stobs could archive his picture at Vigo taken on the 20th may with eg the main lickey article on wikipedia - its already a piece of history - and surprisingly pretty

bob

Last edited:

linuxlad7

bob[/QUOTE]
In the meantime it would be excellent if Tom Stobs could archive his picture at Vigo taken on the 20th may with eg the main lickey article on wikipedia - its already a piece of history - and surprisingly pretty

bob

But meanwhile theres rumour on Electric Railway Soc that full timetable is deferred to Chistmas...

59CosG95

Established Member
But meanwhile theres rumour on Electric Railway Soc that full timetable is deferred to Chistmas...
Yes, I've heard that rumour too. Might be something to do with the New St signalling renewal.
AFAIK, only 2 of the 3tph will reach Bromsgrove, as the current diagrams don't have the flexibility to provide a robust service in the event of disruption, and the required inprovements can't take place with the 1960s-era signalling.

Status
Not open for further replies.