• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cross-City Electrification from Barnt Green to Bromsgrove

Status
Not open for further replies.

59CosG95

Established Member
I was passing through Bromsgrove the other day, and I wondered when on earth the extension of Cross-City electrification would reach there. A large amount of concrete sleepers were laid beside the station, but as of yet, no progress seems to have been made. Does anyone know whenabouts the 323s will run down the Lickey incline?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
To be honest, if DRS operate over the line, they'll probably just use the pans on the 88s up the incline, and diesel on the unelectrified sections. Other FOCs? Not a clue.

No wires on the through lines Barnt Green-Kings Norton.
So not likely to work for freight.

The Planner

Veteran Member
It will last until Bristol Birmingham is wired, not before. As for electric bankers, no the FOCs arent up for that from what I have heard.

fgwrich

Established Member
No wires on the through lines Barnt Green-Kings Norton.
So not likely to work for freight.

Nor is there any on the Camp Hill Line either, which is the way to avoid running freight through the congested New Street. So it'll be a while yet before we see Electric Freight running South West / North East through the West Midlands.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Nor is there any on the Camp Hill Line either, which is the way to avoid running freight through the congested New Street. So it'll be a while yet before we see Electric Freight running South West / North East through the West Midlands.

Not to mention Birmingham-Derby or the Sutton Park lines...

The Planner

Veteran Member
Nothing to stop them doing it for banking alone though when Bromsgrove is wired as they could just sit in the Blackwell middle road but as mentioned this isnt an option the FOCs are up for.

Class 170101

Established Member
I wouldn't be surprised if wiring Bristol to Derby and Sheffield to Doncaster / York isn't a CP6 project (possibly including Camp Hill).

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Nothing to stop them doing it for banking alone though when Bromsgrove is wired as they could just sit in the Blackwell middle road but as mentioned this isnt an option the FOCs are up for.

Is the wiring up to heavy freight standards though? (ie power supplies).
I can imagine the original cross-city line being sized just for local EMUs, as there was no thought of main line use at the time.

High Dyke

Established Member
As an aside i noticed in the Network Rail Route Utilisation Strategy (RUS), updated in 2012, that it suggests Nottingham station should have an extra line through it for freight - if that extra freight cannot be accomdated to run at night. So does this mean an additional through line to what was there until 2012, or have they forgotten that they removed a non-platform line as part of the station upgrade?

Sorry for straying off-route. However it does then beg the question at places such as Bromsgrove, amongst others, if an increase to freight traffic took place, and accepting the topography of the area, would it be worthwhile installing an extra track for trains climbing the Lickey - much the same way as a crawler lane on a tarmac road?

The Planner

Veteran Member
Not enough perceived freight growth to do it and it would never wash its face unless there was monumental growth in passenger traffic.

Gareth Marston

Established Member

Rather send freight up the Marches where it can break down with impunity disrupting passenger services as the Borders bit of the Wales and Borders franchise is not seen as a priority :cry:

Class 170101

Established Member
As an aside i noticed in the Network Rail Route Utilisation Strategy (RUS), updated in 2012, that it suggests Nottingham station should have an extra line through it for freight - if that extra freight cannot be accomdated to run at night. So does this mean an additional through line to what was there until 2012, or have they forgotten that they removed a non-platform line as part of the station upgrade?

Sorry for straying off-route. However it does then beg the question at places such as Bromsgrove, amongst others, if an increase to freight traffic took place, and accepting the topography of the area, would it be worthwhile installing an extra track for trains climbing the Lickey - much the same way as a crawler lane on a tarmac road?

The issue with Nottingham was insufficient clearances for workers between the tracks to meet modern standards for maintenance work. I did think there was passive provision included though for an additional platform face in the new layout.

As for Lickey incline I thought Freightliner only started using it (recently) when the Class 70s entered service as the 66s weren't powerful enough or had to be used in pairs. In reference to the crawler lane that assumes there is the land available to install said crawler lane (track???)

59CosG95

Established Member
The issue with Nottingham was insufficient clearances for workers between the tracks to meet modern standards for maintenance work. I did think there was passive provision included though for an additional platform face in the new layout.

As for Lickey incline I thought Freightliner only started using it (recently) when the Class 70s entered service as the 66s weren't powerful enough or had to be used in pairs. In reference to the crawler lane that assumes there is the land available to install said crawler lane (track???)

Very strange, as I recall seeing a single Freightliner 66 pass Kings Norton not that long ago (it was heading SW).

Freightmaster

Established Member
Very strange, as I recall seeing a single Freightliner 66 pass Kings Norton not that long ago (it was heading SW).
No problem with 66/5s working empty coal trains down the Lickey - it's the
loaded trains which have to run via Hereford (and then frequently fail, as Gareth
correctly points out above!).

MARK

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld

No problem with 66/5s working empty coal trains down the Lickey - it's the
loaded trains which have to run via Hereford (and then frequently fail, as Gareth
correctly points out above!).

MARK

Of course, if the South Staffordshire line was reopened, this would enable freight to be diverted along a less steeper route.

In peace

Adam

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Of course, if the South Staffordshire line was reopened, this would enable freight to be diverted along a less steeper route.

The most likely solution to this problem is to close Ironbridge and Rugeley Power stations. The former is definitely next year, the latter is rumoured before the end of the decade.

The Planner

Veteran Member
You would be surprised how steep the South Staffs is, its no Lickey but it is far from flat.

Having passed through Bromsgrove a few times in recent months I was wondering if any kind soul has an indication of the eventual layout of the new station being built south of the present station?

I suspect the northbound platform will be set back on a loop, whereas the southbound platform will be adjacent to the present running line? Or not?

Is the long concrete wall being built on the northbound side, part of the platform or for something else, it looks rather tall to be part of the platform as such.

Any description or local info welcome!

Thanks

Last edited:

Thanks for that information.

I keep forgetting to use Google, so belatedly I did a search and under both Network Rail and Centro there are artists impressions of the new facility, which as you say has four platforms, also 350 car parking spaces and an interchange hub with local buses.

Also comment that electrification will extend south to Bromsgrove.

Last edited:

onein37

Long wall nothing to do with new platforms. Northbound loop already pushed out to accommodate new up platform.

The Lickey Incline & bromsgrove MPD facebook group will supply all your answers.

Last edited:

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Things are beginning to change fairly rapidly now as you pass through the station. Whilst previously most of the preparation works were not outwardly obvious, the island platforms are now semi constructed, the car park is nearly finished and the station building is currently under construction (currently it is a frame with only the tower containing the BR logo having been clad).

I also by chance a couple of weeks ago (17th Oct) noticed London Midland had, following a normal Worcester-New St. service, sent a train to Bromsgrove and back via the Camp Hill line. It had a 5T** headcode so clearly wasn't a passenger service: would this be some sort of test run for the opening of the station, as I've never seen it occurring before?

deltic08

On Moderation
The most likely solution to this problem is to close Ironbridge and Rugeley Power stations. The former is definitely next year, the latter is rumoured before the end of the decade.

And then we will be left with insufficient power to run electric trains with increase in GWML, Manchester-Blackpool, Bromsgrove, Walsall-Rugeley, Transpennine, MML, Glasgow-Edinburgh. I think that is why TP and MML have been put back as there will be insufficient generation to run them!!

Magicake

Thanks for that information.

I keep forgetting to use Google, so belatedly I did a search and under both Network Rail and Centro there are artists impressions of the new facility, which as you say has four platforms, also 350 car parking spaces and an interchange hub with local buses.

Also comment that electrification will extend south to Bromsgrove.

I understand that electrification preparatory work is scheduled to start on site before Christmas.

I would be keeping my eyes firmly on the Peter Hendy review though, does anyone think there is a major chance of this work being delayed or cancelled?

Status
Not open for further replies.