• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cross country Cardiff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yesterday I took a trip down to Cardiff from New Street with Arriva XC. New Street was as always awful with platform alterations and with several delays. Although mine to Cardiff turned up on time with 170637 (I think) in charge. I sat in coach C and I must say that these units aren't being well looked after. The roof panels were very dirty and one of the lights broken. The remaining lights were very dim. However the rest of the trip was fine with a quiet, quick trip to Cardiff. On the way back things weren't so good. Me and my Dad had seats reserved both ways and on boarding the return journey on 170112 there were none of the tickets placed. We had to politely move two people who didn't know the seats weren't reserved. The train was only two cars and it was pretty busy but luckily everyone did get a seat. Finally the most frustating thing was that there were no bins at all! I looked for a bin with a fellow passenger and I was only to be told by the Catering person that there were none. She said to just leave it on the table for the cleaner.

So in conclusion the actual journey was quick and relatively well priced. However XC really need to look after their 170s as they aren't looking anywhere near as good as the 170s with London Midland.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
...with 170637 (I think) in charge. I sat in coach C and I must say that these units aren't being well looked after. The roof panels were very dirty and one of the lights broken. The remaining lights were very dim

I was on 170636 the other day and that wasn't exactly clean either, the ceiling panels were so dirty I wondered if there had been some kind of fire for a moment!

XC really need to look after their 170s as they aren't looking anywhere near as good as the 170s with London Midland.

This might be the crux of the issue, both the LM and XC 170 fleets are maintained by Tysley (an LM depot). I wonder whether their first attention is being given to their own 170s with XC's suffering as a result.

It was 170636, just checked my photos! Bit of a co incidence:D But the ceiling panels are looking awful. It could well be the depot although it could be that the XC have a bit more wear and tear daily compared to the LMs.

CC 72100

Established Member
I looked for a bin with a fellow passenger and I was only to be told by the Catering person that there were none. She said to just leave it on the table for the cleaner.

If there is a cleaner that is! My recent experiences of XC services leaving their first stop is that they are still far from clean. I've had it when boarding (at the termini) trains from Plymouth and Penzance where rubbish is just left on tables from the previous journey, despite 30 - 35 minutes turnaround time. <(

387star

On Moderation
Arriva are down there with the worst National Express operations

Masboroughlad

Established Member
I have boarded a number of XC trains on Saturdays at Man Pic recently. Some stand in the station for a while before their next duty and are still filthy - rubbish left everywhere. Grotty!

CC 72100

Established Member
I have boarded a number of XC trains on Saturdays at Man Pic recently. Some stand in the station for a while before their next duty and are still filthy - rubbish left everywhere. Grotty!

Matches my experiences too (As posted above). Mind you, the voyagers really need a deep clean, they are looking very tatty and grotty in places (look down between the carriage wall and the seat and you'll see what I mean)

Status
Not open for further replies.