• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cross Country Coach J

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonsooN

Hi there

Apologies if this is a repeat of a similar question that's already been raised, but I couldn't find anything recent on the search.

I'm booked on the 13.30 from Bristol TM to Newcastle tomorrow and my reservation is for Coach J.

I assume that this will be two voyagers coupled together as I can't find any layouts for Cross Country trains online with Coach J in them. Even the HST only goes up to coach G.

Is there any way of finding out online which seat I'll be in? The type of seat I'm in will affect weather I can do any work on the train on my laptop.

Cheers!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
I'm booked on the 13.30 from Bristol TM to Newcastle tomorrow and my reservation is for Coach J.

It is two Voyagers coupled together, and coach J is in the front portion which is added at Bristol and detached at Newcastle.

Coach J equals Coach D, IIRC.

brompton rail

Hi there

Apologies if this is a repeat of a similar question that's already been raised, but I couldn't find anything recent on the search.

I assume that this will be two voyagers coupled together as I can't find any layouts for Cross Country trains online with Coach J in them. Even the HST only goes up to coach G.

Is there any way of finding out online which seat I'll be in? The type of seat I'm in will affect weather I can do any work on the train on my laptop.

Cheers!

That Plymouth to Dundee train is a double Voyager from Bristol to Newcastle. The second Voyager is on the front and generally less busy than the Plymouth to Dundee Voyager. The Train runs into Newcastle via Gateshead and the High Level Bridge thus allowing the Voyager from Bristol to be uncoupled and left in the platform at Newcastle Central whilst the Dundee Voyager reverses and continues north.

A diagram I have found - it dates back to Virgin XC days - shows Coach J as the one with the shop, Coach D in a single Voyager. Therefore your Coach J will be ..
.. In the front Voyager and either the third coach from the front IF First class is the front coach, or the second coach from the front if not. Your Voyager arrives from Manchester before the Plymouth to Dundee Voyager, but I don't know if you are allowed to join before they couple up.

Sorry for covering same ground as Arctic Troll, but I am slower at typing than he is!!

Last edited:

CC 72100

Established Member
The doors remain locked until the portion from Plymouth arrives. Not the most punctual train in my experience, often leaving Bristol 3/4 late.

As other posters have said, coach J will be in the 'extra' voyager ie. the one which starts at Bristol, which will be leading.

MonsooN

Thanks for your help. I've been on the double voyager before but in my experience it's always very busy on a Friday. Doesn't look like I've got a table, but I suspect I'll just be glad to have a seat!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.