• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cross Country delay repay, stations not recognised

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainophile

Established Member
I'm trying to make a delay repay claim on XC's web form, and keep getting:

Departing station Newcastle
We could not recognise your departure station. Please try again.

Arriving station Berwick-upon-Tweed
We could not recognise your arrival station. Please try again.

Also it is not accepting my uploaded photo of the ticket - I took it on my iPhone and saved it to my iCloud account, but I can't find a way of making it smaller. It is 3.1mb and the claim form says maximum 3.5mb so it should be okay, but keeps failing.

I have tried emailing their customer relations, as advised on Twitter, but the photo comes out huge and overlays the message. I'm about to give up, it's only £4.35, but very puzzled about the station non-recognition. I've tried Newcastle Central, NCL, just plain Newcastle, and all similar variations of Berwick, but it won't accept any of them. One way of saving pay-outs I suppose!

I appreciate it is in no way XC's fault that Berwick station was vandalised meaning no trains could stop there that day, but as it was their service I was booked on I thought it would be they who I claim from. Anyone got any ideas?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

snail

Established Member
I've had problems with delay repay recognising Salford Central. Most likely the server that looks up stations not responding properly. As for the ticket photo, try taking it so the ticket only takes up a small part of the image then use the Photos app to crop/resize to something that shows just the ticket. That should reduce the file size considerably.

CrispyUK

If you email the photo to yourself from your phone, when you click send, iOS will give you the option to resize it to Small/Medium/Large to reduce the file size. You can then save the e-mail attachment and upload that on the form

trainophile

Established Member
It's a JPG file (apparently - I am rubbish at techie stuff but that's what the image says, IMG_1104.JPG). Thanks for the replies everyone, I was feeling silly for asking after I had switched off last night. Brilliant idea about mailing the photo to myself, will give that a try.

Also thanks @snail for saying that you've had problems with station recognition too, must be a bug in the system somewhere.

433N

I had the same problem with Newcastle too. In the end, I just emailed my claim in because the online form didn't seem to recognise the existence of split ticketing either (splitting Morpeth from Berwick). Still haven't heard back, mind.

trainophile

Established Member
If there's anyone on the forum who works for XC it sounds like maybe they should be feeding back this problem.

I bet they wonder why they hardly get any delay repay claims.

Last edited by a moderator:

packermac

If there's anyone on the forum who works for XC it sounds like maybe they should be feeding back this problem.

I bet they wonder why they hardly get any delay repay claims.
Would that not be counter productive to them. If people give up (I suspect a lot will) then that means less to pay out.
Maybe I am just a cynic and I am sure there would be no written down policy that could be "found and leaked" but this must be a benefit to any TOC if the number of claims are reduced.
It is like dealing with say BT, my wife's BT email server has been down a few days but neither of us was prepared to go to the hassle of trying to chase it up with some guy no doubt in India. (It reappered late last night)

trainophile

Established Member
Thanks again everyone. I have managed to reduce the photo size and sent an email to XC with details of my claim. It was an interesting exercise if nothing else!

sheff1

Established Member
I have just done a dummy claim with XC from Newcastle to Berwick-upon-Tweed. Both stations were accepted straight away. Whether that means things are fixed or their site is compatible with my set up but not yours .... ???

trainophile

Established Member
I have just done a dummy claim with XC from Newcastle to Berwick-upon-Tweed. Both stations were accepted straight away. Whether that means things are fixed or their site is compatible with my set up but not yours .... ???

Could be either. Maybe it doesn't like Safari. A bit odd though. Maybe it was having a blip yesterday. I've emailed them now so won't complicate things by submitting online.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
I’ve had problems like this in the past, I’ve always put it down to my own incompetence. But to get round it I send the claim to another TOC whose system I can work and they tell me it’s not them and kindly forward it for me!
It’s nice to know it may not be me though and their fault!

Status
Not open for further replies.