• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cross Country returns to Steam power

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
It seems that Virgin have reintroduced a long forgotten type of Railcar back onto the railways, that of the Steam Railcar, unbeknownst to practically everybody these units have been running around the country for a number of years, many people thought they were Diesel, but oh no, the truth has come to light.

The Virgin Steam Voyager

And people say Diesel is cleaner than Steam! ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I've already been at Bristol Parkway admiring the 221 with the name of 'Doctor Who' donning it taking off to BTM and clagging (sort of) nicely.

Actually, that's reminded me to check my mileage recordings and haulage records later, I might not have that beast marked off for haulage! So long as it was Doctor Who I got from Sheffield to Parkway...

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Pardon my lack of knowledge, but what is HVAC? At a guess I'd throw up a suggestion of air conditioning. On which subject 170103, in 55103, on Saturday morning had it going at full wang, making it a rather cold move!

1D53

Established Member
I've managed to see a 185 clag! Driver just hammered it leaving Huddersfield!

(OK maybe its not a Voyager, but it has Voyager engines!!)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Nice, an air-con failure...Don't forget there should be hammers near the windows, would be interesting to have a repeat of the Mallard thing last year, except it would be a perfect cover to show disgust about the Voyagers...lol.

ChrisCooper

Established Member
Well, that engine pretty knackered. White smoke often means water is getting into the system, usually something like a cracked cyliner liner or failed head gasket. It can also mean a too lean mixture (not enough fuel), causing the cyliners to cool, with causes such as injector or fuel pump faults. It's not as bad as blue smoke though which means oil is being burned. Black smoke/clag on the whole isn't too bad, since it mostly means you have too rich fuel/air mixture, common when accelerating hard or when the engine is under heavy load, although it can also signify blocked air filers.

Dennis

Established Member
Looks like Doctor Who should visit the mothership at Central Rivers and get a new power source installed - perhaps then it might keep to time better.

TheSlash

Established Member
WSXFan said:
Cheers TheSlash for that acronym explanation. Adding it to my Bank of Knowledge now.
NPS mate.
All part of the 458 technical appreciation course, spend about a day playing with the HVAC, even though they still end up changing them long before they are due any maintenance :blob3:

Status
Not open for further replies.