• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cross Country trialling Medical Freight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Innovative for the modern railway I should say - who would ever have assumed that we would be moving freight around on the likes of a 222, even in small packages.

Most trains if you put some thought into it could find space for this kind of work, even the 156/158/170 units I work on have suitable cupboards that could be fitted with appropriate locks (and that is without taking up the passenger luggage space by using the old parcels vans which are far too large for this) - just with a couple of exceptions they don't operate on routes where this kind of traffic is desirable.

Wasn't the "van area" of 150s and 156s (and the bike cupboard on 158s) designed for this sort of usage when Red Star was still a thing?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LowLevel

Established Member
Wasn't the "van area" of 150s and 156s (and the bike cupboard on 158s) designed for this sort of usage when Red Star was still a thing?

Nah. Far too large. The space dedicated to it on a HST or 222 is much smaller than a 156 parcel van which is much more general purpose (and usually occupied by passenger luggage!).

Carlisle

Established Member
I remember when 158s first entered service, on at least one route they were designated either Red Star only or cycle only trains staggered throughout the day , presumably due to lack of onboard space

Last edited:

QueensCurve

Established Member
Moderator note: split from this thread:

Rail Operations Group - 769s & 319s to be used on freight between West Mids and Central Belt | RailUK Forums (railforums.co.uk)

CrossCountry are trialling medical freight which they are carrying in non-passenger areas:

Almost like a return to Rail Express Parcels. It could do with a brand name. Red Star Perhaps?

Ashley Hill

Established Member
I remember when 158s first entered service, on at least one route they were designated either Red Star only or cycle only trains staggered throughout the day , presumably due to lack of onboard space
158s had a sliding shutter on the parcel cupboard although it was seldom used.
Intercity Railfreight provide a service for sending items by train. On HSTs there was live shellfish from Penzance to London for example carried in the leading PC but this ended with the introduction of IETs. Currently they send blood samples by train including on IETs. Like the fish,on board staff have no involvement with these parcels. They are loaded and collected by IcRf staff. If a train terminates short AFAIK IcRf are responsible for rearranging onward travel.

Last edited:

Ken H

On Moderation
They use a small locked cupboard on EMR's HSTs and 222s. I don't think it is much of a hardship - the courier handles everything, they turn up, put the parcel away, hand the guard a manifest and it is collected at the other end.

Clever, innovative idea.
yes. they could call it 'Red Star'

furnessvale

Established Member
yes. they could call it 'Red Star'
Which was a great idea. Then someone started to add collection and delivery, changing trains, even adding aircraft, which totally blew the original concept of using otherwise empty space on trains. The rest is history.

Tallguy

Last time I was on a train in Scotland (Glasgow to East Kilbride) the train had dedicated bike racks and indeed one of the racks was being used. I’m all in favour of carrying freight be it big or small on a train. I used to be a large user of Red Star parcels back in the late 80’s and my only complaint was the fact that you could only send parcels at major stations.

Status
Not open for further replies.