• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cross Country York - Birmingham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ploughman

Established Member
Went to Birmingham today on Cross Country from York. 7.27am
Made the mistake of taking the earlier train than I had reserved seats on.

Is this service always so stuffed with people standing from York to Birmingham?

Has any thought been given to adding more coaches into the sets?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Went to Birmingham today on Cross Country from York. 7.27am
Made the mistake of taking the earlier train than I had reserved seats on.

Is this service always so stuffed with people standing from York to Birmingham?

Has any thought been given to adding more coaches into the sets?

This has been given very very extensive dicussion on this forum, and i will now go and find some of the threads so as to try and prevent yet another XC voyager insulting thread.

In short, yes it is always rammed, and yes consideration was given but it soon got stopped by various people and led to a massive balls up.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
The DfT has asked Bombardier for a price on an extra vehicle for CrossCountry's 220s, this would contain standard accommodation plus pantograph equipment to make them bimode.

Stewart

Worse train route in the country IMO. I think the one to rival it is Shrewsbury to Aberystwyth, 2 carriages every 2 hours for a busy tourist/student route.

Rich McLean

Established Member
Worse train route in the country IMO. I think the one to rival it is Shrewsbury to Aberystwyth, 2 carriages every 2 hours for a busy tourist/student route.

A lot of the time, that serviced is formed of four carriages, at least until MACHYNLLETH where the service splits. But even with four carriages, it is normally rammed from BHM to SHR at least.

tbtc

Veteran Member
EMT on strike may not have helped, adding to the numbers between Sheffield and Derby.

Aye.

This service is a rush hour arrival into Sheffield (08:20) from Doncaster (the hourly XC service is the biggest train between Doncaster and Sheffield, so it tends to attract a larger share of the market between the two places).

Then, because of the ASLEF strike over their pension contributions going down, there was no 08:27 or 08:35 from Sheffield to Derby, so the OP's Voyager would have had to take three train loads of passengers (since Sheffield passengers had to use XC to get to Derby and take an EMT service from there if they wanted to go to London).

Its then an arrival into Birmingham around half nine in the morning so is a pretty busy arrival time.

Status
Not open for further replies.