• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cross Humber Fares?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I seem to recall that there were fares from stations in the North Riding of Lindsay to the East Riding of Yorkshire that were routed via a bus link* across the Humber Bridge.

Does the forum have any more information on this or am I just imagining things?

*The bus link may or may not have been included in the fare.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
As far as I am aware there are no rail tickets which are valid on the bus.

Harpers Tate

Established Member
There was a time in the now distant past when through fares from (eg) Beverley to (eg) Grimsby existed that DID include the bus fare; they were branded Humberlink. It may well have been sponsored in some way by the Humberside authority at the time. I presume that the era of such intelligent co-operation between parts of the public transport industry is long gone hence the Railway offering fares that provide for the train service element of the trip only. I believe the bus fare is around £4 one way. Don't know about returns.

sheff1

Established Member
When the ferry service was withdrawn in 1981, tickets for some routes which previously utilised the ferry became valid on the bus. At some point between then and now this 'replacement' validity was, itself, withdrawn. I cannot remember exactly when this happened, nor why it was done.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Which begs the question: why does the 'Not bus' routing exist?

I suppose it exists to allow for people to buy their own bus ticket, and travel by train on both banks of the Humber, without having to pay the rail fare valid via Doncaster.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Humberlink.jpg

Found a photo (not mine) relevant to this of an old bus destination blind showing Humberlink and National Bus Company/BR logos.

some bloke

Established Member
On brfares.com typing "scu" brings up SCUNTHORPEB VLCN as an option - does anyone know what it means?

lyndhurst25

Established Member
Which begs the question: why does the 'Not bus' routing exist?

To serve as a reminder that, outside London, this country is absolutely useless at organising integrated public transport. Rail privatisation, bus deregulation and the abolition of Humberside county all probably played a part here.

I have used one of these fares in the past. I walked from Barton, across the bridge, to Hessle!

OwlMan

Established Member
Yes it is a bus link from Lincoln. The bus timetable is attached.
from iKB
Scunthorpe via Lincoln bus link
Interchange station: Lincoln

Fares
Through tickets may be issued by adding the add-on amounts to rail fares to/from Lincoln shown in your TIS or the Fares Finder. It is imperative that the suffix ‘(Bus)’ is shown on the destination or the bus company will not be able to accept the tickets. These add-ons are available on flows to/from Lincoln.

Add-on amounts

Adult Return: £5.00

Discounts
No child or railcard discounts apply.

Ticketing
Destination Name/NLC

Scunthorpe Bus via Lincoln K391

Accompanied animals and articles
Hand luggage and small animals can be carried on this service at the discretion of the driver.

Non folding bicycles and prams cannot be carried.

Services
Operator/route: Stagecoach

Through rail/bus timetables and fares are available on RJIS/TRIBUTE/ELGAR/STAR.

The bus departs Lincoln city bus station. For more details please refer to the Stagecoach website for timetable information.

Public information
Full bus service information may be obtained by telephoning Stagecoach 0845 605 0 605 or visit www.stagecoachbus.com.

Attachments

• EMID-TT-Scunthorpe-103-Sept18.pdf
    75.4 KB · Views: 21

34D

Established Member
Could it be that 'Humberlink not bus' is a contraction for something like 'humberlink not via Doncaster but by bus's perhaps?

Does anyone have any report of these tickets being accepted or declined on a stagecoach bus?

HullRailMan

A single fare from Hull to Barton on Humber is indeed valid on the bus, just found it available to buy. However it will set you back £38.90! Bizarrely the fare to Grimsby (bus Hull to Barton then train Barton to Grimsby) is the same.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Could it be that 'Humberlink not bus' is a contraction for something like 'humberlink not via Doncaster but by bus's perhaps?
An alternative attempt to denote a service which you must travel on, but on which the fare was excluded was the infamous TILBY EXCL FERRY (Tilbury excluding Ferry). This was from certain stations in Kent to Essex, with the intention being that you would travel on the ferry from Gravesend to Tilbury but pay for it yourself.

Amusingly, someone in the rail industry interpreted this to mean "via Tilbury but not via Ferry" when the short routes were re-written in a more user-friendly format. This route was subsequently changed to TILBRY/GRAVESND and then later to TILBRY&GRAVESND (Tilbury & Gravesend) because certain pairs of stations allowed travel via Ashford Int'l and Stratford Int'l via HS1. Said ticket is still valid via Stratford Int'l for most station combinations but now via the North Kent line as opposed to Ashford.

clagmonster

Established Member
A single fare from Hull to Barton on Humber is indeed valid on the bus, just found it available to buy. However it will set you back £38.90! Bizarrely the fare to Grimsby (bus Hull to Barton then train Barton to Grimsby) is the same.
Do you have a source for the ticket being valid on the bus? Whilst internet journey planners will offer the tickets by this route, my understanding is that they are wrong to do so and that the £38.90 ticket is for travel via Stainforth and / or Doncaster.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Do you have a source for the ticket being valid on the bus? Whilst internet journey planners will offer the tickets by this route, my understanding is that they are wrong to do so and that the £38.90 ticket is for travel via Stainforth and / or Doncaster.
Strikes me as nothing more than guesswork. In any event, I doubt anyone would be daft enough to pay that much to put it to the test.

HullRailMan

Well the ticket and journey are bookable so why would it be there if it isn't valid? The buses that connect with the Barton-Cleethorpes trains are shown in the train timetable and there's is nothing to say that train tickets are not valid.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Well the ticket and journey are bookable so why would it be there if it isn't valid? The buses that connect with the Barton-Cleethorpes trains are shown in the train timetable and there's is nothing to say that train tickets are not valid.
So it is guesswork.

clagmonster

Established Member
I did actually once come across a chap who did just that via a business expense account. The guard allowed travel to Barton, however he had to pay for the bus. I advised him at the time to contact the ticket retailer.

mallard

Established Member
This route was subsequently changed to TILBRY/GRAVESND and then later to TILBRY&GRAVESND (Tilbury & Gravesend) because certain pairs of stations allowed travel via Ashford Int'l and Stratford Int'l via HS1. Said ticket is still valid via Stratford Int'l for most station combinations but now via the North Kent line as opposed to Ashford.

I expect those tickets aren't long for this world, especially since they're priced lower than many tickets from Gravesend to other destinations in Kent (and even if they had break of journey restrictions, which they don't, they'd be impossible to enforce).

Romilly

Established Member
Can anyone get the £10.10 fare Cottingham to cleethorpes to appear in any booking engines, please? Or indeed the £9.70 cottingham to grimsby?
I can get the £10.10 fare on the Northern Trains journey planner by putting Barton-on-Humber as the "via" station.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
My correspondent reports that Hull were happy to issue the cross-Humber ticket for a journey from Cottingham to Cleethorpes. The new wording on the face of tickets is 'via Humberlink - bus fare not included'.

Screenshot_20190108-173400_Messenger.jpg

The wording on trainline powered sites is "Valid on trains connecting with Humber Bridge buslink, but the intermediate bus fare is not included."

Incidentally return bus fare on Stagecoach a stinging £8.50.

lyndhurst25

Established Member
I think to save the extortionate £8.50 bus fare that I'd consider walking across the Humber Bridge. I've done it before on a Northern Day Rover. Others though may feel that it's not worth all the Hessle.

175mph

On Moderation
My correspondent reports that Hull were happy to issue the cross-Humber ticket for a journey from Cottingham to Cleethorpes. The new wording on the face of tickets is 'via Humberlink - bus fare not included'.

View attachment 57737

The wording on trainline powered sites is "Valid on trains connecting with Humber Bridge buslink, but the intermediate bus fare is not included."

Incidentally return bus fare on Stagecoach a stinging £8.50.
If you had boarded a 350 service run by EYMS, it would have been even more, although the joint ticketing agreement means EYMS would have accepted a cheaper return ticket issued by Stagecoach.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
If you had boarded a 350 service run by EYMS, it would have been even more, although the joint ticketing agreement means EYMS would have accepted a cheaper return ticket issued by Stagecoach.
How much do EYMS charge for single/return tickets between Hull and Barton-on-Humber.

Status
Not open for further replies.