• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cross London routing

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_gardener

Hi
A quick question. My wife has purchased a single ticket from Aberdeen to East Grinstead. The Scotrail website only shows cross London connections via the Victoria Line. However due to mobility issues she would find it easier to walk from Kings Cross to St Pancras and take Thameslink to East Croydon changing there for East Grinstead. Is this an authorised route? She has done it once before but on that occasion I purchased separate tickets Aberdeen -Kings Cross and St Pancras-Raat Grinstead.
Many thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hkstudent

Established Member
Hi
A quick question. My wife has purchased a single ticket from Aberdeen to East Grinstead. The Scotrail website only shows cross London connections via the Victoria Line. However due to mobility issues she would find it easier to walk from Kings Cross to St Pancras and take Thameslink to East Croydon changing there for East Grinstead. Is this an authorised route? She has done it once before but on that occasion I purchased separate tickets Aberdeen -Kings Cross and St Pancras-Raat Grinstead.
Many thanks
To make the picture be more clear, is the ticket an advance ticket or off-peak ticket?
Is there a reservation on the section from Victoria to East Grinstead?

There is no price difference between via Victoria (for Southern) or via St Pancras International (for Thameslink). Also, Thameslink core (St Pancras - London Bridge / Elephant & Castle) is considered as the same as London Underground for cross-London transfer purposes. In fare-wise, there shouldn't be a problem. But, it would be better be advised by more senior members in this forum.

Last edited:

The_gardener

To make the picture be more clear, is the ticket an advance ticket or off-peak ticket?
Apologies. It is an off peak not an advance and there are no reservations Victoria to East Grinstead.

alistairlees

Established Member
Doubt it. Victoria to East Grinstead trains are not reservable. I doubt there will be an issue going via St Pancras.

hkstudent

Established Member
Doubt it. Victoria to East Grinstead trains are not reservable. I doubt there will be an issue going via St Pancras.
(for the case of an advance ticket, was typed before OP clarified the ticket as off-peak ticket)
yeah, if it is not reservable, then any permitted route from southern London Terminals would be allowed (unless it is an LNER & Southern ticket)

Last edited:

transmanche

Established Member
However due to mobility issues she would find it easier to walk from Kings Cross to St Pancras and take Thameslink to East Croydon changing there for East Grinstead.
Depending on your wife's specific mobility issues, it may be useful to know that step-free access via lifts is available to/from the Victoria line platforms at both King's Cross St Pancras and Victoria stations. And the Victoria line platforms also have humped areas with level access-boarding points.

Chris Butler

yeah, if it is not reservable, then any permitted route from southern London Terminals would be allowed (unless it is an LNER & Southern ticket)

The_gardener - you can ignore this post. I am simply asking a general question on hkstudent's reply.

hkstudent - why would the question of reservability have any bearing on the routeing of a non-Advanced ticket ? I understand why it's relevant to an Advanced ticket, but does reservability have some relevance to routeing for other tickets ? It's a genuine question ... every time I think I've understood routeing, I realise that I haven't !!

hkstudent

Established Member
The_gardener - you can ignore this post. I am simply asking a general question on hkstudent's reply.

hkstudent - why would the question of reservability have any bearing on the routeing of a non-Advanced ticket ? I understand why it's relevant to an Advanced ticket, but does reservability have some relevance to routeing for other tickets ? It's a genuine question ... every time I think I've understood routeing, I realise that I haven't !!
Chris, it was referred to the case of advance ticket. Not off-peak ticket...
I shall edit that to make it be more clear

Last edited by a moderator:

The_gardener

Hi many thanks for your helpful replies. First trip my wife did fly but Aberdeen Gatwick flights have stopped. I do try and avoid flying but with mobility issues it can be the easiest as excellent assistance can be booked. My wife does manage steps (slowly) but long walks are an issue. Having tried both routes she felt more walking was involved on the tube.
Thanks again

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Is permitted. You can check with the via St. Pancras International option at NR / Scotrail / LNER journey planner.

Specifying via City Thameslink is more effective.

Depending on your wife's specific mobility issues, it may be useful to know that step-free access via lifts is available to/from the Victoria line platforms at both King's Cross St Pancras and Victoria stations. And the Victoria line platforms also have humped areas with level access-boarding points.

No - the Step Free access at Victoria is only to/from the northern Cardindal Place exit...which is quite a walk and across busy road junctions from Victoria Station.

Level boarding is also available on Thameslink.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
For future reference, you can obtain an itinerary by the route you wish to take by specifying a via point on the booking site; almost all booking sites allow one via/avoid point to be specified.

Some websites allow multiple via/avoid websites, for example, Trainsplit allows up to three via points and up to three avoid points; you can even specify additional interchange time at any point and request whether to change at, or avoid changing at, any location.

There is no need to do this for a flexible (walk-up) ticket, except to demonstrate the validity of the route.

LA50041

Established Member
Hi
Many thanks

Depending on what train she is on from Aberdeen, there are in the peak direct Thameslink trains from St Pancras to East Grinstead.
E.g. if on the 0952 Aberdeen arriving Kings X at 1648 there is an East Grinstead diect from St Pancras at 1725

transmanche

Established Member
No - the Step Free access at Victoria is only to/from the northern Cardindal Place exit...
So... yes, there is step-free access.
Level boarding is also available on Thameslink.
St Pancras, yes. But I'm not aware of it being available at East Croydon.

In any event, the point is moot as subsequent to my post the OP clarified that steps are not the main issue.

Belperpete

Established Member
Hi many thanks for your helpful replies. First trip my wife did fly but Aberdeen Gatwick flights have stopped. I do try and avoid flying but with mobility issues it can be the easiest as excellent assistance can be booked. My wife does manage steps (slowly) but long walks are an issue. Having tried both routes she felt more walking was involved on the tube.
Thanks again
Rather than walking all the way from KX to Euston, you might find it easier just to use a shorter walking route to the Victoria line. See this thread:
https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...a-line-any-way-to-avoid-the-long-walk.167527/

spinba11

No - the Step Free access at Victoria is only to/from the northern Cardindal Place exit...which is quite a walk and across busy road junctions from Victoria Station.
Your information is out of date, you can get into the station via lift

Status
Not open for further replies.