• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cross London via Thameslink

Status
Not open for further replies.

a_c_skinner

Established Member
If one has a ticket with the cross mark to include cross London (Euston/Kings Cross to Brighton line) is Thameslink valid? I know via Farringdon isn't valid for London Terminals, though before I knew I have been waved through the StP barriers by the gate line staff.

Mrs S will have had this debate at the StP barriers soon, I've told her to plead storm and engineering disruption, but on normal days this is tempting if slower to avoid the Underground.

With my usual apology if this is silly, obvious or answered recently. I did search.

Andrew

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Yes it is definitely valid:

Crossing London
If your journey involves travelling through London to connect with another National Rail service, your ticket will usually include the cost of transfer on London Underground, Docklands Light Railway or Thameslink services between the relevant stations. To check if the cost of travel across London is included in your ticket, look for the ‘†' symbol which will be shown in the tickets ‘Route' information, e.g. [‘†' ANY PERMITTED]. Full information can be found on our Travelling to, from and via London page.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/ticket_types.aspx#Crossing London

cookie365

If you have an advance ticket that has a reservation for the Brighton line section then you should obey that, though in practice I've never been asked to show a reservation for the brighton line section when travelling on an advance beyond Euston.

NRE will often show itineries with thamselink connections at London Bridge or Blackfriars. I've never seen it show a change at St Pancras but tickets will still work the gates at St P.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
....I've never seen it show a change at St Pancras but tickets will still work the gates at St P.

That's more to do with the standard minimum connection times for that route and the relative train times at Euston, St Pancras and Blackfriars/London Bridge.

Euston-St Pancras travel time allowance 38 minutes
St Pancras connection time 15 minutes
St-Pancras-Blackfriars (TL) 12 minutes

Total 65 minutes

Euston-Blackfriars travel time allowance 49 minutes
Blackfriars Connection time 3 minutes

Total 52 minutes

Euston-London Bridge travel time allowance 52 minutes
London Bridge connection time 4 minutes

Total 56 minutes

If you asked a journey planner specifically for a route via St Pancras it would show up.

a_c_skinner

Established Member
Thanks, I feel foolish for missing the quote that was the first reply

Secondly, yes it does take a while but a short stroll and a trainride rather than the bun fight of the tube. You can do EUS to VIC train to train in under 30 minutes.

Thirdly I had thought the Southern bits of advance tickets were any train, or am I getting mixed up with the Southern half of off peaks from up north not being so time limited? Being 60 with a railcard West Coast (sorry west coast, lets not start that again) off peak isn't that costly. As above it never seems checked. Actually for advanced via Thameslink and East Croyden it isn't just wrong train, it is wrong route, which clearly isn't fair.

fandroid

Established Member
The Thameslink route from St Pancras has the advantage of one lift down to the southbound platform from the general concourse area. That's a great advantage if hauling bags around. Also the trains are bigger inside than the Tube. I have become very aware of where the lifts are at central London stations, having pushed my grandson around in his buggy and searched for step-free routes to potential places of entertainment (for a 2-yr old!).

Status
Not open for further replies.