• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cross-Manchester connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

py_megapixel

Established Member
I'm planning some trips for later in the year and I'm looking for some assistance from those who have done this before.
I am looking at getting a train which will arrive into Piccadilly at 06:54. Is it at all plausible for me to get across Manchester to Victoria in time for an 07:30 departure from Victoria?
I'm happy to use Metrolink, the bus, or walk, depending on which is fastest.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfollows

Established Member
Metrolink will be faster than walking which will be faster than the free bus, which goes round the houses a bit.
If your train arrives on time you will have no problem. I guess if you arrive after 07:10 you'll be pushed for time.
If you're going to walk I'd suggest Dale Street, Stevenson Square and Thomas Street and avoid Piccadilly Gardens.

PS I've been walking this route since 1973. I normally walk, even today, when my walking is a little impaired because of a stroke a few years ago, but as long as you avoid crowds it's predictable and not that far. However for someone unfamiliar with the area then the Metrolink would work well. If you walk directly 30 minutes should be fine.

Last edited:

RHolmes

Avoid the Metrolink. If you miss the Bury service from Piccadilly, you’ll be waiting an additional 12 minutes for the next service to Victoria. It’s much faster walking if you are able bodied and walk at the average pace.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Avoid the Metrolink. If you miss the Bury service from Piccadilly, you’ll be waiting an additional 12 minutes for the next service to Victoria. It’s much faster walking if you are able bodied and walk at the average pace.
If you've just missed a "direct" Bury tram service, you could always take the next tram from Piccadilly to Piccadilly Gardens, then walk briskly over to Market Street for the short hop onwards to Victoria.

_toommm_

Established Member
I can make it across Manchester in 15 minutes walking easily - I regularly arrive into Manchester Vic at 7:10 and make it to Piccadilly for the 7:30 to Manchester Airport. Follow your nose out of the main entrance at Piccadilly, then turn right at Marks and Sparks until Victoria. Or turn right just after Debenhams and follow the tram tracks down until Victoria.

scrapy

Established Member
Worth checking live departures (on the metrolink app and Google maps & several other sources) for Metrolink just before arrival at Piccadilly and have a contactless method of payment to tap in handy if your rail ticket doesn't cover the journey. Journey time is about 9/10 minutes. Walking isn't that much fun if the weather's bad so might be worth having a backup plan.

Greybeard33

Established Member
Looking at the May - December timetable in RTT, the only service that arrives at Piccadilly at 0654, M-S, is the 0635 Manchester Airport to Redcar Central. If you remain on board, it should get you to Victoria at 0711!

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I always walk between the Piccadilly and Victoria, it's the most reliable way and often the fastest unless you get very lucky with an immediate tram departure.

As others have suggested, easily walkable in the suggested timeframe.

If you are heavily bagged up or the weather is as bad as it is today, you may want to consider the free Metroshuttle buses? They run from 06:30 Mon - Fri at 10 min intervals. They have changed the routes over the years, but the No.2 looks the current quickest option.

At busy times they are prone to getting stuck in traffic, but at the time you're arriving 06:54, you should easily make Victoria within 10-15 mins at most. The timetable shows Depart Picc 7:00 - Arrive Vic 07:12. The driver should be able to confirm this for you. The buses stop right outside both stations.

Status
Not open for further replies.