• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crosscity line south (Sat 28/7)

Status
Not open for further replies.

crosscity

I'm surprised no-one has reported that since 09:00 this morning no electric service has been provided on the Crosscity line between Birmingham New St, Longbridge and Redditch. The official reason was 'a fire on property near to the railway'.

Talking to railwaymen brought in to tend one of the stranded 323's a tree was blown on to the OHLE near University; brought the wire down which created sparks and the tree caught fire and presumably spread. I understand the fire brigade were in attendance.

At 5pm the power was switched back on, and diesel trains could work the line from New St, but there were no drivers in place to move the electric trains in the opposite direction. The stranded trains between Kings Norton and New St started moving at about 18:45.

Longer distance (diesel) trains were routed via the Camp Hill line with very little disruption.

According to Opentraintimes five 323's are still trapped between Redditch and Kings Norton, with at least three still stranded on running lines down the branch and on the slow line between Northfield and Kings Norton. Is the problem not being able to get drivers to the trains to move them, or is it a more technical problem?

One of the stranded trains was in the platform at Kings Norton and I was told that if the OHL power is switched off then the pantographs should be lowered so that the batteries are not drained. Could this be the reason there are still 323's stranded?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bussnapperwm

Established Member
This one of those times where Camp Hill could have been done with being wired up, along with the bay platforms at Moor Street and a chord to connect the two.

At least then the Redditch branch would not have trains stranded and you could still run some semblance of a Birmingham to Redditch/Bromsgrove electric service (albeit fast Longbridge to Moor Street, with a free transfer service laid on to link Moor Street and New Street)

As an aside, if that were to happen, would Moor Street bays be able to fit a 6 car 323, and would it then be worth splitting/joining units at Longbridge so Redditch/Bromsgrove departures from Moor Street be able to do a similar operation to how the 350s do at Northampton.

On Moderation
Considering that the ‘fast’ lines from Kings Norton to Longbridge were not electrified at the time, I am led to believe that the Camp Hill lines weren’t done due to the cost of sorting out the track clearance in Moseley Tunnel.

In other words if electrification that could be useful on a day to day basis was not done, a diversionary route is completely out of the window.

diffident

There were three trains left overnight at Redditch, Barnt Green and Longbridge. They moved this morning shortly after 09:00 as the first passenger electric service south to Bromsgrove operated.

From what I understand, a tree snapped and snagged on the wires on the straight section along the canal just after University in the Birmingham direction, which then in turn caused it to catch fire.

crosscity

There were three trains left overnight at Redditch, Barnt Green and Longbridge. They moved this morning shortly after 09:00 as the first passenger electric service south to Bromsgrove operated.

From what I understand, a tree snapped and snagged on the wires on the straight section along the canal just after University in the Birmingham direction, which then in turn caused it to catch fire.
I thought the three overnight stranded trains were all down the branch at Redditch, Alvechurch and Barnt Green. My interest was were they stranded because there was difficulty finding crews to rescue them, or was there a technical problem in getting them going?

The juice was back on at 17:00 but none of the 323's started moving for another hour and three-quarters. After that there were still four hours (7-11) that a service might have been provided. I can't understand why the service was just abandoned. I understand there was still a unit blocking the line at Northfield, and can't work out what happened to it. I wonder if this had something to do with it:
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/O25042/2018/07/28/advanced
Could it have been a diesel rescue, and was a 323 dragged along the Camp Hill line?

All in all it was all a shame, as immediately after the fire the heavens opened to end the two-month long heatwave!

diffident

I thought the three overnight stranded trains were all down the branch at Redditch, Alvechurch and Barnt Green. My interest was were they stranded because there was difficulty finding crews to rescue them, or was there a technical problem in getting them going?

The juice was back on at 17:00 but none of the 323's started moving for another hour and three-quarters. After that there were still four hours (7-11) that a service might have been provided. I can't understand why the service was just abandoned. I understand there was still a unit blocking the line at Northfield, and can't work out what happened to it. I wonder if this had something to do with it:
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/O25042/2018/07/28/advanced
Could it have been a diesel rescue, and was a 323 dragged along the Camp Hill line?

All in all it was all a shame, as immediately after the fire the heavens opened to end the two-month long heatwave!

I stand corrected - you are right.

The points you raise are valid though, seems strange to abandon three trains in situ overnight, and ditch a Saturday evening service, even with trains still running on the Cross City North.

crosscity

Oh Dear! it looks as though something similar has happened again today in the same place or close by. 2U32 the 10:32 Redditch-Four Oaks has been stuck at Bournville since 11:00 with five other electric trains between Redditch and Kings Norton. Meanwhile the diesels are trundling up and down the Camp Hill line.

It was reported on the BBC WM news that a tree has fallen on to the overhead wires causing a fire, and that no local trains will run until tomorrow.

I wonder whether the long dry spell and then the recent heavy rains have made the ground unstable. Until the press and TV start asking questions I suspect Network Rail will keep schtum. Does anyone know exactly what has happened?

rdeez

ve8agz.jpg

Walked past about an hour ago, tree appears to have been shifted already.

I heard a tree fell on the lines and then set fire...

crosscity

Walked past about an hour ago, tree appears to have been shifted already.

I heard a tree fell on the lines and then set fire...
I'm trying to work out the exact location. Is the picture taken from the canal towpath between University and Five Ways, with the camera pointing towards Five Ways and before the tunnel?

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
I'm trying to work out the exact location. Is the picture taken from the canal towpath between University and Five Ways, with the camera pointing towards Five Ways and before the tunnel?
(not the picture's OP) - yes, since the trees and embankment are on the left, this would be pointing towards Five Ways.

rdeez

(not the picture's OP) - yes, since the trees and embankment are on the left, this would be pointing towards Five Ways.

Yup - it's just after the first road bridge from University heading towards Five Ways.

The latest is that a leak of some kind caused the ground to soften and the tree to fall. Still closed unfortunately, seems like they're taking down some more trees.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
From the WMR website:
Following a tree falling onto the overhead wires at University station yesterday, there has also been a significant land slip of the embankment on to the railway. This is about 30 meters in length and has seen a drop of about 3 meters below its original level. The ground is reported to be very wet, which is making the situation worse and there is a risk that more of the embankment and the trees on it could slip further if urgent repairs are not made. Network Rail are working hard to make the area safe for trains to travel over.

Last edited:

diffident

Something that should have been done after the first incident, which was *exactly* at the same spot as a few weeks ago. I have a photo which I'll upload later from the scene where you can see the tree stump of the first tree next to the freshly fallen one. The damage to the OHLE this time round was also more significant in my opinion.

WMR have just posted that there has been a "significant landslip" in the area.

"Following a tree falling onto the overhead wires, there has been a significant landslip on to the railway. This is about 30 meters long and has seen a drop of about 3 meters below its original level. Alternative arrangements are still in place to keep you moving this morning."

https://twitter.com/WestMidRailway/status/1029636447396081664?s=19

diffident

IMG_0141.JPG

To the right of this photo (my photo) you can see where the tree that fell a few weeks ago originally was located. Yesterday's tree was for all intents and purposes it's next door neighbour.

pnjman

With all the disruption this has caused I had to abandon a journey yesterday, I have an nTrain ticket, would delay replay be applicable for this? I also took another journey (New Street to Bournville) using the acceptance on the National Express West Midlands, this obviously took much longer than the train but didn't actually go via Bournville station, how would you calculate the arrival time for delay repay?

With all the disruption this has caused I had to abandon a journey yesterday, I have an nTrain ticket, would delay replay be applicable for this? I also took another journey (New Street to Bournville) using the acceptance on the National Express West Midlands, this obviously took much longer than the train but didn't actually go via Bournville station, how would you calculate the arrival time for delay repay?

nTrain is eligible for delay repay, but the amounts you get back are tiny because of how it's calculated. The last 15-30min delay I claimed for resulted in a windfall of 44p, after two weeks processing the claim. You might decide it's not worth your time filling in the form.

For the Bournville question, I think I would specify the time I got off the bus as the arrival time?

crosscity

Well, Crosscity South is back in business today. The first trains ran along the route at around 11pm last night, including the last train to Worcester (2300 from New St) which was the first and only train of the day to stop at University!

With six 323 units stranded for the best part of two days I'm surprised a limited (eg 40-minutely) Kings Norton to Redditch and Bromsgrove service could not have been arranged on the second day. I know there are large-ish logistical problems to overcome such as getting crews to and from the trains, but It would have been great PR for wmtrains and show they were the innovative and customer-friendly company they want everyone to think they are.

Perhaps someone in the know can tell me how much of the overhead line had to be switched off to carry out the work. Obviously if it's everything south of the incident to Bromsgrove and Redditch then none of the stranded trains could run.

Replacement bus services were laid on from Longbridge so people had to rely on existing bus services to serve the other stations, including New St. As it's the school holidays rush-hour traffic is reduced so the buses will have coped better than if the incident had happened at another time.

Let's hope the job done is a permanent fix.

Old Hill Bank

Well, Crosscity South is back in business today. The first trains ran along the route at around 11pm last night, including the last train to Worcester (2300 from New St) which was the first and only train of the day to stop at University!

With six 323 units stranded for the best part of two days I'm surprised a limited (eg 40-minutely) Kings Norton to Redditch and Bromsgrove service could not have been arranged on the second day. I know there are large-ish logistical problems to overcome such as getting crews to and from the trains, but It would have been great PR for wmtrains and show they were the innovative and customer-friendly company they want everyone to think they are.

Perhaps someone in the know can tell me how much of the overhead line had to be switched off to carry out the work. Obviously if it's everything south of the incident to Bromsgrove and Redditch then none of the stranded trains could run.

Replacement bus services were laid on from Longbridge so people had to rely on existing bus services to serve the other stations, including New St. As it's the school holidays rush-hour traffic is reduced so the buses will have coped better than if the incident had happened at another time.

Let's hope the job done is a permanent fix.
All of the power for Cross City South comes through New Street, there is no facility for alternative feeding arrangements on that route.

crosscity

All of the power for Cross City South comes through New Street, there is no facility for alternative feeding arrangements on that route.
That would explain the lack of action.

Perhaps the electrification of the Camp Hill line could offer a chance of resilience for a similar incident in the future. Presumably there would be some kind of 'ring main' arrangement with power from Kings Norton supplied from New St by either of the two routes. I suspect the Mayor's not willing to pay for the electrification as part of his new stations proposal for the Camp Hill line, so it might be some time off!

Status
Not open for further replies.