• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crosscity South - animals on line

Status
Not open for further replies.

crosscity

I took my grandson round to Kings Norton station this morning to catch the 9:57 to Four Oaks as he needed to be at a job interview near Duddeston at 11:00. When we arrived at 9.50 the 9:27 to Four Oaks was at the platform with the driver, guard and station booking clerk having a conflab.

The electronic display kept mentioning 'animals on the line'.

As my grandson was a bit nervous I took him to Duddeston in my car. Just after 11.00 I popped into Duddeston station and trains were back on the move.

Anyone know what the problem was? To my knowledge there aren't many sheep, cattle, horses or wildebeest close to the Crosscity line between Kings Norton and New St.

The 9:27 (2U22) seemed to be the train most affected and this looks as though it left Kings Norton at 10.01 (http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/G24718/2016/03/17/advanced) .

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

crosscity

Thank you for the replies.

This was an unusual incident. I presume it was a stray, and was handed over to BTP at New St.

I'm surprised the local press didn't pick it up.

Clearly the owner of a dog is responsible for it. If the owner is found, is there a specific railway offence that they could be collared for? (Pun intended, but it's a serious question).

WestCoast

Established Member
I've heard this a few times waiting at University as a reason for late running. I was thinking perhaps cattle, as the line has its rural patches south of Longbridge, didn't think of domestic animals!

Llanigraham

On Moderation
The problem with having stray domestic animals on the line is more the owners who loose all sense of responsibility and start running around trying to catch them, and forgetting there is a live railway!

Status
Not open for further replies.