• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CrossCountry 170s Availability

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mordac

Established Member
I noticed that almost all of the Cardiff to Nottingham trains have only been operating with one unit, and there's even an out and back service with a Voyager deputising. Given the still reduced timetable this doesn't look great, have they been having availability issues?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I noticed that almost all of the Cardiff to Nottingham trains have only been operating with one unit, and there's even an out and back service with a Voyager deputising. Given the still reduced timetable this doesn't look great, have they been having availability issues?

The position is being discussed here:-

www.railforums.co.uk/threads/voyagers-at-university.218386/#post-5170010

It will be seen that one daily working is now booked for a Voyager and 170 sets should be 3 Car now with an extra carriage placed in the 2 Car sets acquired from reducing WMT 170s from 3 to 2. I am not sure if this transfer is actually complete yet but anybody may be free to correct me.

DannyMich2018

The position is being discussed here:-

www.railforums.co.uk/threads/voyagers-at-university.218386/#post-5170010

It will be seen that one daily working is now booked for a Voyager and 170 sets should be 3 Car now with an extra carriage placed in the 2 Car sets acquired from reducing WMT 170s from 3 to 2. I am not sure if this transfer is actually complete yet but anybody may be free to correct me.
Yes the strengthening and renumbering of 170518-523 with ex WMT centre cars was complete by May so XC has 22 3 car units and just 6 2 car (170 111-117). 170107 was struggling at Hinckley earlier. The rear car had shut down and crew couldn't restart it so it was on 2 engines.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Yes the strengthening and renumbering of 170518-523 with ex WMT centre cars was complete by May so XC has 22 3 car units and just 6 2 car (170 111-117). 170107 was struggling at Hinckley earlier. The rear car had shut down and crew couldn't restart it so it was on 2 engines.
170107 ?

RailWonderer

Established Member
Ah that's why. I had a 170/6 the other day as it was numbered, which must have had the centre car from WMT attatched. Maybe that was why I tried to walk into the middle coach but the door buttons to let me in weren't working, but when the trolley came through they managed to come into the end coach and back without needing it, though I didn't see what they did. Maybe a guard's key?

MCR247

Established Member
Ah that's why. I had a 170/6 the other day as it was numbered, which must have had the centre car from WMT attatched. Maybe that was why I tried to walk into the middle coach but the door buttons to let me in weren't working, but when the trolley came through they managed to come into the end coach and back without needing it, though I didn't see what they did. Maybe a guard's key?
There were 3 car /6s before, the centre car transfer just meant some /5s were renumbered to /6s additionally. So it may have been an original /6. The main way of telling is by the seating layout where the exLM centre cars have more luggage racks. As for the door buttons, they are very temperamental. They can usually be pulled open though

MCR247

Established Member
At least 3 voyagers out on Nottingham -Birmingham/ Cardiff runs today

O L Leigh

Established Member
Given the still reduced timetable this doesn't look great, have they been having availability issues?

The reduced timetable only remains in effect on the Voyager routes. The Cl170 routes have already gone back to their former frequencies so single units will be the order of the day which means that there will be some 2 car services.

Mordac

Established Member
The reduced timetable only remains in effect on the Voyager routes. The Cl170 routes have already gone back to their former frequencies so single units will be the order of the day which means that there will be some 2 car services.
Must be having false memory syndrome, I could have sworn CDF got 2tph in the before time.

Status
Not open for further replies.