• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CrossCountry Advance Fares - Lack of?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bitzer

Looking at CrossCountry for travel between 19th Feb to 27 Feb but seems to be a lack of Advance fares for the PNZ to Edinbugh/Glasgow route? I knew that the standard 12 week window was gone for the moment but had hoped that with about 4 weeks to go cheaper advance fares would be available, still seems double the price of many tickets?

Any thoughts as to why or when better advance fares might appear?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

davetheguard

Established Member
Looking at CrossCountry for travel between 19th Feb to 27 Feb but seems to be a lack of Advance fares for the PNZ to Edinbugh/Glasgow route? I knew that the standard 12 week window was gone for the moment but had hoped that with about 4 weeks to go cheaper advance fares would be available, still seems double the price of many tickets?

I have to say, in my experience, finding any good value advances on Cross Country is extremely difficult. Many of them are only slightly cheaper than the quota-free Off Peak Return, and of course with a huge loss of flexibility.

If you don't mind crossing London, you may well find it cheaper via Paddington & Euston/Kings Cross.

bitzer

I have to say, in my experience, finding any good value advances on Cross Country is extremely difficult. Many of them are only slightly cheaper than the quota-free Off Peak Return, and of course with a huge loss of flexibility.

If you don't mind crossing London, you may well find it cheaper via Paddington & Euston/Kings Cross.
Have considered London route and yes advance fares much cheaper exist but prefer to just get on the train and not change. Prices normally, although expensive would be not so eye watering :)

Haywain

Veteran Member

There are major engineering works on the CrossCountry route during that period which will probably have a significant impact on availability of cheaper fares. In view of this, travelling through London will probably enable you to find better value.

bitzer

There are major engineering works on the CrossCountry route during that period which will probably have a significant impact on availability of cheaper fares. In view of this, travelling through London will probably enable you to find better value.
Hi, thanks for the headsup although I only saw one works on the national rail site? Which shows some not stopping at Tamworth but largely unaffected and buses only for local services or am I missing something as do not want to be using any bus replacement service?

And will avoid the 15:08 Edinburgh to Plymouth service as terminates at Bristol.

CrossCountry between Cardiff Central / Birmingham New Street and Nottingham / Cambridge / Stansted Airport, and also between Penzance / Plymouth / Bristol Temple Meads / Birmingham New Street and Derby / Sheffield / Leeds / York / Newcastle / Edinburgh / Glasgow Central / Aberdeen
Train operator affectedCrossCountryDescription
Engineering work is taking place between Birmingham New Street and Water Orton, closing some lines.

After 10:45 on Saturday and all day every day:

Buses will replace trains between Birmingham New Street and Water Orton / Coleshill Parkway.

Trains between Birmingham New Street and Leicester / Stansted Airport will be amended to run between Coleshill Parkway and Leicester / Stansted Airport only. Trains that usually run between Cardiff Central and Nottingham will run between Cardiff Central and Birmingham New Street and also between Coleshill Parkway and Nottingham.

Trains to / from North East England / Scotland will be amended to not call at Tamworth. You can use alternative services to / from Tamworth.

Class800

Established Member

Look for splits? Penzance to Bristol Temple Meads is set by GWR for example. Trainsplit could help (I never use it if I am not going to buy from it - but sometimes use it and buy from it). You can work out some splits by yourself anyway trying the key towns you pass.

route101

Established Member
I've noticed this too. Was looking at Southampton to Birmingham a month in advance and one way advances were over £60 one way.

Haywain

Veteran Member
I only saw one works on the national rail site? Which shows some not stopping at Tamworth but largely unaffected and buses only for local services or am I missing something as do not want to be using any bus replacement service?
The engineering works will lead to an overall reduction in the number of trains between Birmingham and Derby, meaning those that remain will be busier. Busier trains have fewer cheap fares available.

ChrisC

Established Member
Look for splits? Penzance to Bristol Temple Meads is set by GWR for example. Trainsplit could help (I never use it if I am not going to buy from it - but sometimes use it and buy from it). You can work out some splits by yourself anyway trying the key towns you pass.
I always find Cheltenham Spa one of the best places to split tickets whenever I am travelling from Nottingham down to Devon or Cornwall.

Class800

Established Member
I always find Cheltenham Spa one of the best places to split tickets whenever I am travelling from Nottingham down to Devon or Cornwall.
Can be - as can be Bristol Temple Meads and/or Taunton. Depends on exact combination of origin and destination. For Nottingham, Cheltenham is a good split point

Deafdoggie

Established Member
XC trains, as we are all painfully aware, are always full. If they can fill them with full price fares, why are they going to offer cheaper ones?

Class800

Established Member
XC trains, as we are all painfully aware, are always full. If they can fill them with full price fares, why are they going to offer cheaper ones?
Near empty XC trains for me last weekend - but agree they don't offer good fares, hence splitting onto tickets set by other TOCs but valid on the route is often a good strategy

Stormaggeddon

From memory, if going from Edinburgh direct split at:
Edinburgh - Newcastle
Newcastle - York
York - Sheffield
Sheffield - Derby - the off peak return is sometimes cheaper than the advance single
Derby - Birmingham New Street
Birmingham NS - Cheltenham Spa
Cheltenham Spa - Bristol Temple Meads
Bristol Temple Meads - Exeter St Davids
Exeter - Plymouth
Plymouth - Penzance

If you want to stay in the same seat/adjacent seat and want a reservation just make sure to use a site with a seat selector, otherwise you’ll be moving round the train a lot. If using the same train and leaving from Glasgow try a split Glasgow - Edinburgh and Glasgow to Newcastle and go with the cheapest option. Sometimes you can save a little more splitting at Taunton.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Edinburgh - Newcastle
Newcastle - York
York - Sheffield
Sheffield - Derby - the off peak return is sometimes cheaper than the advance single
Exeter - Plymouth
Plymouth - Penzance

If you want to stay in the same seat/adjacent seat and want a reservation just make sure to use a site with a seat selector, otherwise you’ll be moving round the train a lot. If using the same train and leaving from Glasgow try a split Glasgow - Edinburgh and Glasgow to Newcastle and go with the cheapest option. Sometimes you can save a little more splitting at Taunton.
Remember XC only allow the same seat to be reserved three times. After that it will show "available" so you can stay in it.
Depending on what your plans are when you're there, and that you'll be coming back, and time of travel compare the cost of a Freedom Of South West Rover which covers Cheltenham to Penzance.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
A through Advance is unlikely to be available for the journey on XC; you may get one via London at a cheaper price though.
Edinburgh - Newcastle
Newcastle - York
York - Sheffield
Exeter - Plymouth
Plymouth - Penzance

It would take a very long time to book all that individually!

Trainsplit is a much more viable alternative; if you travel on XC then providing e-tickets are enabled on all legs you would get one handy PDF covering all tickets; much easier than loads of separate journeys and individual PDFs or paper tickets.

Looking at Monday 21 Feb, for Penzance to Edinburgh, Trainsplit finds fares of 75 quid via London, or 115 quid via Birmingham.

You can use the advanced options to specify any via or avoid points; you can even choose where you change trains.

route101

Established Member
Remember XC only allow the same seat to be reserved three times. After that it will show "available" so you can stay in it.
Depending on what your plans are when you're there, and that you'll be coming back, and time of travel compare the cost of a Freedom Of South West Rover which covers Cheltenham to Penzance.
Best to just to go to the unreserved coach in that instance.

Status
Not open for further replies.