• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CrossCountry HST Diagrams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I hope it won't be put back, and I don't see why it should be. The relevant drivers and TMs along the route sign HST's already and it would appear the government wants longer trains to run in order to maintain social distancing as much as possible. The final set is ready, the only thing that I imagine might cause an issue is the readiness of the two spare ex LNER power cars shich are being fettled at Eastleigh in readiness. I've not heard how things are progressing there, but they've had them a good while now.

So a good chance of the current two daily sets being ramped up over the summer?

Edit: I've forgotten how many sets were out daily pre-COVID-19. Think it might have been 3 with the exception of Fridays and Sundays when 4 were needed. Always at least one spare.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member

Edit: I've forgotten how many sets were out daily pre-COVID-19. Think it might have been 3 with the exception of Fridays and Sundays when 4 were needed. Always at least one spare.
Normally 2 sets on Tuesday, Wednesday. 3 sets on Monday and Thursday and 4 sets on Friday and Sunday. Saturday has 2 sets but in the high summer months 4 sets are used.

lammergeier

I didn't say I thought they would be out more over the summer, and I've not heard that suggested. Was merely saying I'm not pessimistic about the December midweek increase, although I hasten to add I have no information on this, just speculation.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Dec 2020 was definitely the date for XC main route (HST) improvements. May 2020 was extra 170 utilisation on XC regional. May 2021 is extra 170 carriages. Based on the DfT Feb 2020 announcement which was discussed at the time.
“Passengers travelling from Birmingham to Nottingham, Leicester and Cardiff will start to see longer trains on some services from May 2020 delivering more than 5,000 more seats each week. A further 15,000 seats per week are planned to be in place from mid-2021, including to and from Cambridge and Stansted Airport to support the region’s commuters, businesses and leisure travellers.

“More customers are set to benefit as the Department for Transport (DfT) and CrossCountry finalise plans to deliver thousands more seats on long distance routes each week from December 2020. Longer trains will operate on some services on Mondays to Thursdays on the routes from Scotland, the North East and Manchester to the South West and the South Coast.“

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Looks to be 2 out again today albeit it's the 7am off Edinburgh not the 6am.

Thunderer

I hope it won't be put back, and I don't see why it should be. The relevant drivers and TMs along the route sign HST's already and it would appear the government wants longer trains to run in order to maintain social distancing as much as possible. The final set is ready, the only thing that I imagine might cause an issue is the readiness of the two spare ex LNER power cars shich are being fettled at Eastleigh in readiness. I've not heard how things are progressing there, but they've had them a good while now.
Exactly. Its a real shame the DFT didn't allow XC to have a few more ex LNER rakes (although they would have to be modified at WABTEC) and a few more ex LNER power cars to bolster capacity on the NE-SW route, thus freeing up more vomiters to "double up" on the other busier services wher required.

Established Member

Thunderer

Also especially as the 0632 Dundee to Plymouth isnt running at the moment. It starts at Newcastle and goes as far as Bristol as a Double set.
I don't think any XC services are operating to Aberdeen/Dundee and Glasgow at the moment? I think all Scottish services start and terminate at Edinburgh Waverley?

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Looks like just one HST out today unless a set picks up the Plymouth to Leeds at 15:27.

Tuesdays and Wednesdays during COVID-19 have actually been as normal as regards HSTs since only two are due out these days even under the normal timetable.

Established Member
Looks like just one HST out today unless a set picks up the Plymouth to Leeds at 15:27.

Tuesdays and Wednesdays during COVID-19 have actually been as normal as regards HSTs since only two are due out these days even under the normal timetable.
A set will pick up 1E63 at Plymouth after 221126 is working 1V50 due to XC04 failing yesterday.

96tommy

I'm looking at travelling this Wednesday from York to Cheltenham, quite easy on time (as long as it is off-peak) but wondered what diagrams the HST's are usually on being a bit longer and a bit less cramped in just to feel a bit more comfortable r.e social distancing. Thank you

43 302

Established Member
I'm looking at travelling this Wednesday from York to Cheltenham, quite easy on time (as long as it is off-peak) but wondered what diagrams the HST's are usually on being a bit longer and a bit less cramped in just to feel a bit more comfortable r.e social distancing. Thank you

These two are HSTs, the second one fits your criteria the best.

Edit: These are the returns.

Established Member
Depending on the exact ticket held. There are no Off Peak HSTs from York to Cheltenham.

Established Member
These two are HSTs, the second one fits your criteria the best.
Neither of which are Off Peak (depending on the exact tickets held) but for a normal Off Peak Single or Return you would need to split.

sprinterguy

Established Member
As far as I know the only booked southbound HST through York at present is 1V50 06:06 Edinburgh - Plymouth, which departs York at 08:44, so no good for off peak.

Worth noting however that for social distancing purposes, the following off peak trains should run as double Voyagers:
1V54 09:41 Newcastle - Bristol (Dep. York at 10:44)
1V60 11:06 Edinburgh - Plymouth (Dep. York at 13:44)
1V62 13:39 Newcastle - Bristol (Dep. York at 14:44)

1V54 may be quietest as it only starts at Newcastle and passes through Birmingham at lunchtime, long before the evening rush hour (Such as it is at present).

Last edited:

StKeverne1497

I saw 43321 on the back of a low loader heading into Swansea on Fabian way at approximately this location around about 5pm today. Seems an odd way to get to anywhere. Does anyone know what was going on?

StKeverne1497

I don't know for sure, but I would imagine it's for a repaint.
Would that be at Landore? I can't say I know the area well, but road access to Landore seems very tight to me. I've been working in Swansea for 12 years, travelling in via Fabian Way and the M4 from the East and I've never previously seen any rolling stock on the back of a lorry (plenty of wheels though). Today not only did I see 43321 on Fabian Way, but I saw a bogie coal hopper on the M4 near the Pyle junction too!
Edit to add, and I did think it was looking particularly grubby :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.