• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CrossCountry Retail Service Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

About 18 months ago I got to final interview for the RSM role but was unsuccessful. The day consisted of an assessment (maths and timetable skills), then a group discussion, then interview.

Another RSM role has come up and I have an interview in a week or so. But this time it’s different. I did a test online, had a phone call and then invite to an interview - and to take ID and passport photos.

Has the recruitment style changed, or have they recognised that I’d applied before and I’ve been skipped out of the assessment day? If it has changed, is there anything else I need to know or what to expect?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jonfun

Established Member
Change in format of recruitment - it's online assessments, phone interview and then depot manager interview now.

Just make sure you do the usual interview prep and you'll be reet. If you've got that far in the process they'll have thought you were good enough from your CV and good enough from your Phone Interview, so just walk in and show you're good enough at the interview.

Cheers - thanks for that. How long does it take to get a start date if you’re successful?

Irony - have had an invite to assessment for GWR Customer Host on the same day (albeit later in the day so can do both)... and that’s in the same hotel my old CrossCountry RSM assessment was last year... weird!

There’s no issue having two applications on the boil from two different TOC’s at the same time is there?

Mike121

No of course not! Good luck with both! Personally I’d go with GWR (if you get both)! Good luck!

Is there any reason you favour GWR? The role with them pays less than the RSM role so would naturally go with AXC if I got that offer.

Jonfun

Established Member
To be honest, I don't think there's much in it. Terms and conditions will differ, they're better at XC than most, though it's a 38 hour week there and most others as far as I know are 35. XC gets you free travel on all Arriva TOCs, I don't know what travel concessions GWR offer. I don't see any real difference in things like job security.

Established Member
Yes, I mean plymouth. When you said depot I thought you meant as in train depot.
I meant Traincrew depot, Plymouth XC is a pretty good depot with quite a low turn over, I would if given the choice choose Plymouth XC over GWR there. Quite a nice variety of destinations with some decent breaks in places. Turn lengths are quite long but as such I think it's a 4 day roster there.

Established Member
Hi all,

About 18 months ago I got to final interview for the RSM role but was unsuccessful. The day consisted of an assessment (maths and timetable skills), then a group discussion, then interview.

Another RSM role has come up and I have an interview in a week or so. But this time it’s different. I did a test online, had a phone call and then invite to an interview - and to take ID and passport photos.

Has the recruitment style changed, or have they recognised that I’d applied before and I’ve been skipped out of the assessment day? If it has changed, is there anything else I need to know or what to expect?

How did it go?

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Just be aware if your future plan is driving, forget XC as a trainee and go for GWR.

XC haven’t taken on trainees ever? This is a serious annoyance for a lot of employees having to leave a firm the like go get their key then try and move back once qualified.

Established Member
Just be aware if your future plan is driving, forget XC as a trainee and go for GWR.

XC haven’t taken on trainees ever? This is a serious annoyance for a lot of employees having to leave a firm the like go get their key then try and move back once qualified.
I wouldn't count on this for much longer...

How did it go?
Well, it was this morning... I was surprised that the interviewer remembered me from the last time 18+ months ago.... usual “tell us about yourself at the start, then situational questions used (only 4 questions) so 5 in total. I asked a few questions back about the role etc... seemed to go smoothly. Thanks for asking ☺️

Established Member
Well, it was this morning... I was surprised that the interviewer remembered me from the last time 18+ months ago.... usual “tell us about yourself at the start, then situational questions used (only 4 questions) so 5 in total. I asked a few questions back about the role etc... seemed to go smoothly. Thanks for asking ☺️
Fingers crossed then!

Well, I got the call today. The original job went to someone else but they’re just getting sign-off on a second position - and that’s been offered to me. I need to wait a week or so for another phone call and the wheels should start turning. It’s taken 10 years of trying and a LOT of perseverance but it looks to have finally paid off. To say I’m happy is an understatement.

Established Member
Well, I got the call today. The original job went to someone else but they’re just getting sign-off on a second position - and that’s been offered to me. I need to wait a week or so for another phone call and the wheels should start turning. It’s taken 10 years of trying and a LOT of perseverance but it looks to have finally paid off. To say I’m happy is an understatement.
Congratulations!

Status
Not open for further replies.