CrossCountry Retail Service Manager

Discussion in 'Railway Jobs & Careers' started by ValentaFan1974, 8 Dec 2018.

1. ValentaFan1974

ValentaFan1974 Member

Thanks - now I’m waiting again haha... this part is going to drag.... so I now need to swot up on what happens next I suppose.

2. 221129

221129 Established Member

Well if you want a hand with anything feel free to PM me.

3. ValentaFan1974

ValentaFan1974 Member

Well, I got the call today and my start date is confirmed as 11th Feb - medical on 29th Jan at Bristol.

When do they do the CRB check? Nothing has been mentioned so far other than the medical?

Thankfully current boss was happy to accept slightly less than 28 days notice...

4. ValentaFan1974

ValentaFan1974 Member

Well, a couple of months on, I thought I’d let everyone know how things are.... in case you’re trying to get on the ladder.

The training is 4 weeks long. 2 weeks away (we had a week in Derby and a week in Birmingham), then you get a week at your local depot then the final week is back in Derby. You then get a graduation dinner and your certificates. Then the fun starts!

The training is intense, thorough and incredibly enjoyable. You’ll pretty much learn every lock and handle (apart from the cab!) on each train, go through food hygiene training and you’ll be expected to pass numerous tests along the way. I won’t share any more but there are lots of other fun events too!

The trainers really make you feel at ease. The local coaches are excellent at making you feel welcome and introducing you to people. You are introduced to key contacts who can help you on your journeys.

I can hand on heart say that every single person I have interacted with at CrossCountry have been amazing. Really friendly, everyone will talk to you as if you’ve been there for years, they make you feel so welcome.

I am really enjoying the job. It’s given me a new lease of life and it’s the best career move I’ve ever made. I would thoroughly recommend working for them.

5. LCC106

LCC106 Member

Great feedback and fantastic to hear!

6. 221129

I'm glad you're enjoying it! I've heard a lot of good things about you and your other recent joinees recently so I'm happy to hear that you've settled in.

Hopefully see you about on-board soon enough!

7. class 9

class 9 Member

Glad you're enjoying it, one important thing that hasn't been mentioned......... don't forget to offer the Drivers a brew whenever you can!!!!!

8. ValentaFan1974

ValentaFan1974 Member

Already one step ahead of you ;)

9. 24061990

24061990 New Member

Hi all,

I have just seen a job advertised in Manchester with XC and want to apply for the role. Do you have any advice for me before completing my application which may help?

Thanks in advance

10. DanTrainMan185

DanTrainMan185 Established Member

I had the same problem in January. Sods law they were both at the same time so had to turn down one, and annoyingly didn't get the other one.

11. Nolimitmelvin

Nolimitmelvin New Member

Hi I am starting my position as RSM in a few weeks would like to know Abit more about the training location. You mentioned that you did training in derby and in Birmingham. Did they put you up in hotels or did you commute from home ? Also what were the training hours like ?

Regards
    Melvin

12. 221129

Depends what depot you're based at. You're classroom training will be at Derby.

13. C J Snarzell

C J Snarzell Member

Nolimitmelvin

Congratulations on starting your new career.

Just out of curiosity, did you get one of the two Manchester based RSM jobs advertised back in August?

C J

14. ValentaFan1974

ValentaFan1974 Member

Hi Melvin, welcome aboard!

You’ll have a weeks training in Derby, then a week in Birmingham. You’ll then get a week at your local depot and then a final week back at Derby. It’s certainly test-intensive but a fun environment. I can guarantee you’ll enjoy it and make new friends. I’ve been with XC since February and quite honestly say it’s the best career move I’ve ever made.

If you’re based in Birmingham, you won’t be put up in a hotel, other depots you will be.

If you have any specific questions, please do feel free to PM me. Just out of curiosity, which depot are you based at?

15. Nolimitmelvin

Nolimitmelvin New Member

Thank you for that . I will be based at Bournemouth Depot. My start date is on the 25th November although I am still awaiting details for my medical etc. Thank you very much for your help. I am very excited for my new journey. Regards Melvin

16. Nolimitmelvin

Nolimitmelvin New Member

Thank you very much. I got one of the RSM positions based in Bournemouth , advertised in August.

17. ValentaFan1974

ValentaFan1974 Member

Nice one! You’ll definitely be staying over then.

My main advice to you is, write as much as you think you’ll need down. If in doubt, write it. Make sure you get plenty of sleep as you’ll take a lot of stuff in. Don’t be afraid to ask questions if you’re unsure (you may have people in the room who have worked for another TOC before who may try to speed things up).... The evacuation exercise is fun as well at Tyesley..... and as I’ve said before, enjoy yourself. You will be made incredibly welcome by everyone you meet at XC. If your trainer is who I expect it is, you’ll find him very colourful of appearance (you’ll know what I mean after a few days) - he’s a lovely chap :)

Hope to see you out on the rails in due course :)

18. Nolimitmelvin

Nolimitmelvin New Member

Lovely. Thank you very much for your advice. Will be in touch soon to let you know how I am getting on etc. Best Regards Melvin

19. C J Snarzell

C J Snarzell Member

There were two vacancies advertised for RSM based in Manchester that I applied to but I went on holiday to a remote part of Wales the last week of August. During my well deserved break, the HR team sent me an email that had an assessment that had to be completed within a 48 hour time frame. Unfortunately, because I had no signal in Wales I could not respond to the email in the specified time frame and my application was more or less dead in the water by the time I returned home. I was a little miffed and sadly XC have not advertised anything decent in Manchester since then. Like I said, congratulations on getting the Bournemouth role.

C J