• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CrossCountry Retail Service Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks - now I’m waiting again haha... this part is going to drag.... so I now need to swot up on what happens next I suppose.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Well, I got the call today and my start date is confirmed as 11th Feb - medical on 29th Jan at Bristol.

When do they do the CRB check? Nothing has been mentioned so far other than the medical?

Thankfully current boss was happy to accept slightly less than 28 days notice...

Well, a couple of months on, I thought I’d let everyone know how things are.... in case you’re trying to get on the ladder.

The training is 4 weeks long. 2 weeks away (we had a week in Derby and a week in Birmingham), then you get a week at your local depot then the final week is back in Derby. You then get a graduation dinner and your certificates. Then the fun starts!

The training is intense, thorough and incredibly enjoyable. You’ll pretty much learn every lock and handle (apart from the cab!) on each train, go through food hygiene training and you’ll be expected to pass numerous tests along the way. I won’t share any more but there are lots of other fun events too!

The trainers really make you feel at ease. The local coaches are excellent at making you feel welcome and introducing you to people. You are introduced to key contacts who can help you on your journeys.

I can hand on heart say that every single person I have interacted with at CrossCountry have been amazing. Really friendly, everyone will talk to you as if you’ve been there for years, they make you feel so welcome.

I am really enjoying the job. It’s given me a new lease of life and it’s the best career move I’ve ever made. I would thoroughly recommend working for them.

Established Member
Well, a couple of months on, I thought I’d let everyone know how things are.... in case you’re trying to get on the ladder.

The training is 4 weeks long. 2 weeks away (we had a week in Derby and a week in Birmingham), then you get a week at your local depot then the final week is back in Derby. You then get a graduation dinner and your certificates. Then the fun starts!

The training is intense, thorough and incredibly enjoyable. You’ll pretty much learn every lock and handle (apart from the cab!) on each train, go through food hygiene training and you’ll be expected to pass numerous tests along the way. I won’t share any more but there are lots of other fun events too!

The trainers really make you feel at ease. The local coaches are excellent at making you feel welcome and introducing you to people. You are introduced to key contacts who can help you on your journeys.

I can hand on heart say that every single person I have interacted with at CrossCountry have been amazing. Really friendly, everyone will talk to you as if you’ve been there for years, they make you feel so welcome.

I am really enjoying the job. It’s given me a new lease of life and it’s the best career move I’ve ever made. I would thoroughly recommend working for them.
I'm glad you're enjoying it! I've heard a lot of good things about you and your other recent joinees recently so I'm happy to hear that you've settled in.

Hopefully see you about on-board soon enough!

class 9

Glad you're enjoying it, one important thing that hasn't been mentioned......... don't forget to offer the Drivers a brew whenever you can!!!!!

Hi all,

I have just seen a job advertised in Manchester with XC and want to apply for the role. Do you have any advice for me before completing my application which may help?

Thanks in advance

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Irony - have had an invite to assessment for GWR Customer Host on the same day (albeit later in the day so can do both)... and that’s in the same hotel my old CrossCountry RSM assessment was last year... weird!

There’s no issue having two applications on the boil from two different TOC’s at the same time is there?

I had the same problem in January. Sods law they were both at the same time so had to turn down one, and annoyingly didn't get the other one.

Nolimitmelvin

Hi I am starting my position as RSM in a few weeks would like to know Abit more about the training location. You mentioned that you did training in derby and in Birmingham. Did they put you up in hotels or did you commute from home ? Also what were the training hours like ?

Regards
Melvin

Established Member
Hi I am starting my position as RSM in a few weeks would like to know Abit more about the training location. You mentioned that you did training in derby and in Birmingham. Did they put you up in hotels or did you commute from home ? Also what were the training hours like ?

Regards
Melvin
Depends what depot you're based at. You're classroom training will be at Derby.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
Nolimitmelvin

Congratulations on starting your new career.

Just out of curiosity, did you get one of the two Manchester based RSM jobs advertised back in August?

C J

Hi Melvin, welcome aboard!

You’ll have a weeks training in Derby, then a week in Birmingham. You’ll then get a week at your local depot and then a final week back at Derby. It’s certainly test-intensive but a fun environment. I can guarantee you’ll enjoy it and make new friends. I’ve been with XC since February and quite honestly say it’s the best career move I’ve ever made.

If you’re based in Birmingham, you won’t be put up in a hotel, other depots you will be.

If you have any specific questions, please do feel free to PM me. Just out of curiosity, which depot are you based at?

Nolimitmelvin

Thank you for that . I will be based at Bournemouth Depot. My start date is on the 25th November although I am still awaiting details for my medical etc. Thank you very much for your help. I am very excited for my new journey. Regards Melvin

Nice one! You’ll definitely be staying over then.

My main advice to you is, write as much as you think you’ll need down. If in doubt, write it. Make sure you get plenty of sleep as you’ll take a lot of stuff in. Don’t be afraid to ask questions if you’re unsure (you may have people in the room who have worked for another TOC before who may try to speed things up).... The evacuation exercise is fun as well at Tyesley..... and as I’ve said before, enjoy yourself. You will be made incredibly welcome by everyone you meet at XC. If your trainer is who I expect it is, you’ll find him very colourful of appearance (you’ll know what I mean after a few days) - he’s a lovely chap :)

Hope to see you out on the rails in due course :)

C J Snarzell

Established Member
There were two vacancies advertised for RSM based in Manchester that I applied to but I went on holiday to a remote part of Wales the last week of August. During my well deserved break, the HR team sent me an email that had an assessment that had to be completed within a 48 hour time frame. Unfortunately, because I had no signal in Wales I could not respond to the email in the specified time frame and my application was more or less dead in the water by the time I returned home. I was a little miffed and sadly XC have not advertised anything decent in Manchester since then. Like I said, congratulations on getting the Bournemouth role.

C J

C J Snarzell

Established Member
Morning,

Cross Country have advertised for Retail Service Managers again in Manchester. The use of the 's' implies there is more than one job up for grabs.

I've been reading the updates on this thread - I wanted to query whether the Manchester RSMs get provided with accommodation during their training?

C J

Established Member
Morning,

Cross Country have advertised for Retail Service Managers again in Manchester. The use of the 's' implies there is more than one job up for grabs.

I've been reading the updates on this thread - I wanted to query whether the Manchester RSMs get provided with accommodation during their training?

C J
Yes the only depots that dont get put up in Derby are Birmingham, Leicester and Derby depots.

Marchthatant

The above answers are amazing to read and good to know what to expect in a bit more detail.

I did my medical yesterday in London and start my training 25th November in Derby. Nerve wracking but exciting.

Marchthatant

Thank you for that . I will be based at Bournemouth Depot. My start date is on the 25th November although I am still awaiting details for my medical etc. Thank you very much for your help. I am very excited for my new journey. Regards Melvin

Did you get your medical date?

I also start my training on 25th Novemeber

StaffsPM1

XC has just done or about to do an internal trainee course for drivers. Word on the grapevine is that it is all RSMs which has pi**ed of TM's who applied.
I imagine this is the best chance of getting a trainee job at XC as they will most likely never take off the street.

Established Member
XC has just done or about to do an internal trainee course for drivers. Word on the grapevine is that it is all RSMs which has pi**ed of TM's who applied.
I imagine this is the best chance of getting a trainee job at XC as they will most likely never take off the street.
That is nonsense. A mix of grades have been put through the course so far.

rock_star1

Hi,
I've got an interview in early Jan for a RSM. Worried about my current notice period as it can be up to two months. Does anyone know if XC usually expect the normal 28 day window as a maximum or do they plan training courses throughout the year? Just worried whether this could hinder me getting a job (amongst the worries of interviewing as well :[

Established Member
Hi,
I've got an interview in early Jan for a RSM. Worried about my current notice period as it can be up to two months. Does anyone know if XC usually expect the normal 28 day window as a maximum or do they plan training courses throughout the year? Just worried whether this could hinder me getting a job (amongst the worries of interviewing as well :[
You'll be asked about your notice period in the interview

Status
Not open for further replies.