• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crosscountry Trainee Driver vacancies nationwide

Status
Not open for further replies.

scouseyb123

On Moderation
https://jobs.deutschebahngroup.careers/jobs/JobDetail/Trainee-Drivers-CrossCountry/61854
Trainee Train Drivers X14, Nationwide
Introduction
Starting salary £28,464 rising to £37,713 upon completion of basic training.

Train Drivers are at the very heart of our business and we look to recruit the very best people to join the team to ensure a safe, reliable and punctual service to our customers.

As a trainee, you can expect to receive a comprehensive training programme and support to enable you to progress into a fully qualified driver.

As you would imagine the criterion to become a trainee driver are tough and all applicants will have to follow several stages of a process following initial application stage.

To be eligible to apply you must:

• Have a minimum of 3 years railway operational experience.
• Be aged 20 ½ or older.
• Be able to comply with the relevant Rail Industry

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

daddy_badger

I don't think it says an hour on the ad - it's "nationwide" anyway so it may well be for whatever depots have vacancies. Could be Leeds, could be elsewhere (New Street is presumably going to feature quite highly)
Nought, something i remember from applying some *time* ago. Varies toc to toc and 30 to 60 mins

C J Snarzell

Established Member
daddy_badger

Northern are presently advertising for a trainee driver in Manchester so I'd get your skates on if you want to apply.

CJ

Brilufc

That's me out then, by only inviting candidates with 3 years experience on the railways to apply is going to rule out quite a lot of people. Doesn't seem fair to me but I suppose they can decide the rules.

Stigy

Established Member
It says candidates will have to commit to the 32 week course? Surely that’s some handling too?

Established Member
That's me out then, by only inviting candidates with 3 years experience on the railways to apply is going to rule out quite a lot of people. Doesn't seem fair to me but I suppose they can decide the rules.
That's kind of the point.

This is the first time Arriva XC has advertised externally for Trainee drivers in a long time if not ever.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

I think it's quite clever actually. It's effectively semi-internal recruitment only they can draw on the entire industry not just XC employees as their internal candidates which makes it a very good way of doing an early sift but without narrowing your pool to just your company...

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'm not sure but it will include some annual leave time I believe.

Yes by my reading the two different courses have blocks of annual leave included in within them. Course one starts 18th May and my reading of the advert is that there's a week long block of annual leave commencing 3rd August and then a two week block commencing 21st December. Though the advert isn't exactly crystal clear on quite what they mean!

Cyclist

" Have a minimum of 3 years railway operational experience."

So to clarify, this basically means anybody working on the railway? i.e. Network Rail, Conductors, station staff?, cleaners??

I am none of these but just curious.

2L70

On Moderation

Typical Leeds arrogance.. think they can just walk into a job

(Only Joking)

Surprised it’s gone external really. Maybe there’s not as many crossing the road from WMR? Or not enough SC and TM applying? (A long standing SC and mate of mine is now driving for them)

Established Member
Typical Leeds arrogance.. think they can just walk into a job

(Only Joking)

Surprised it’s gone external really. Maybe there’s not as many crossing the road from WMR? Or not enough SC and TM applying? (A long standing SC and mate of mine is now driving for them)
It's only just gone out internally as well.

1D74

Well why isn’t it fair? There is a lot of people that work on the railway that would jump at the chance of being a driver! I started at the bottom and worked myself up to where I am today. Why should people walk out from the street into top jobs?

Established Member
I think it's quite clever actually. It's effectively semi-internal recruitment only they can draw on the entire industry not just XC employees as their internal candidates which makes it a very good way of doing an early sift but without narrowing your pool to just your company...

It strikes me as somewhat unusual that a TOC would advertise externally for trainees, but still limit the pool of applicants to people with operational railway experience.

It seems a little blinkered to exclude those from non railway backgrounds, some of whom may well be better suited to the driver role than people already working on the railway in non driving positions.

Still, it’s their train set.

Devon156

I wish this was open to those who have passed all the assessments with other TOCs which has happened recently with other companies.

2L70

On Moderation
I wonder how many involved in the XC Twitter storm were looking going for this.
Cause there’s plenty of two faced people out there.

Established Member
I'm surprised it's gone external tbh, they would have had no trouble filling it internally. Of course that's not to say that it wont be.

MRIGuy

Has anyone received any acknowledgement after applying?

With previous applications on the DB job site I have received a system generated response. On this occasion I have received nothing.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
I suppose by keeping these driving jobs within the rail industry family, the XC will have easier access to the performance history of potential candidates. By that I mean, sometimes it's hard for HR to chase up things like references from outside industries and through no fault of the candidates, I've known people have contracts of employment withdrawn at the 11th hour when something has been discovered about their past work history.

When I joined the police in 2003, one lad on my intake was immediately 'removed' from the job because of something that got flagged up during a DBS check - I don't know the whys and wherefores about the whole affair. I've seen it quite a few times with people in different careers when HR try their best to recruit the right people but a few skeletons appear a few months or even a few years down the line.

The point I'm making is that I get the impression Cross Country have ensured any potential candidates for these roles are potentially 'tailor made' people they can easily vet and check out - in a way a 'good to go' scenario that would make the HR's role a bit easier.

CJ

Established Member
Has anyone received any acknowledgement after applying?

With previous applications on the DB job site I have received a system generated response. On this occasion I have received nothing.
I have not received any email.

Status
Not open for further replies.