• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crosscountry Voyager at Crewe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harbornite

Established Member
I saw a Crosscountry Voyager heading along the WCML at Crewe (can't remember the direction) but there's nothing on rtt to confirm what the working was. Can anyone give a reason for this? I suspect a diverted working from Manchester Piccadilly? Cheers.

28466227712_9947d0b836_c.jpg

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Oh and the date was 23rd July.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Harbornite

Established Member
Cross Country divert this way if there is any problems on the normal line, I believe that there are one or two services that call at Crewe M-F also.
Sam

Ta, none were booked to call at the time I saw it so I suspect a divert. I wonder if anyone here knows what the number is?

Harbornite

Established Member
Difficult to tell which way its heading from that picture. I could be travelling on the down lines (towards the station) or the up (towards Stafford). Looks like the viewpoint is adjacent to the North End of Basford Hall yard.

Just had a mooch at my previous photos, it was going south (up). I was actually closer to the south end of the yard, with the A500 bridge on the right of this view.

sprinterguy

Established Member
1O18 12:27 Manchester Piccadilly - Bournemouth was diverted via Crewe on the 23rd, due to a brake defect on a Northern unit working a Manchester - Stoke service blocking the Up line near Macclesfield.

The XC unit was 221140.

Harbornite

Established Member
1O18 12:27 Manchester Piccadilly - Bournemouth was diverted via Crewe on the 23rd, due to a brake defect on a Northern unit working a Manchester - Stoke service blocking the Up line near Macclesfield.

The XC unit was 221140.

Thanks!

driver_m

Established Member
XC have booked workings via Crewe so that Manchester and New St drivers keep their competency via Crewe & Wilmslow. There's a unit also goes southbound via Alsager early in the morning about 540-600. IIRC it's the first service off Manchester in the morning to Birmingham. Same with VT at Manchester working the 0627 via New St to keep competency via Stone and the West Midlands.

It's not regular but also not that unusual to pass a XC voyager somewhere around Crewe with diverts if anything is amiss around Stoke. Did see a pair of XC 170s last week though which I guess are a lot rarer.

Last edited:

thenorthern

Established Member
If there are problems on the WCML between Kidsgrove and Cheadle Hulme then trains are sent through Crewe and then through Alsager into Stoke-on-Trent and onwards although given that there is only limited capacity through Alsager with the single track its normally the Virgin Trains that do that while the CrossCountry services just go direct to Stafford.

Status
Not open for further replies.