• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CrossCountry (XC) HST modifications including power doors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CC 72100

Established Member
Not the finest of hours for the XC power door set today- F and G locked out, guessing a door fault?

CC 72100

Established Member
No power to the TGS apparently and coach F has been locked out for weeks.

Thanks for that - Ah yes, I do remember about F, plenty of '6 vice 7' messages about that one, on my only trip on the power door set it was indeed 2+6 with troublesome F left behind. Touch wood the GWR short set has been more reliable, but I suppose with 50% less doors to go wrong it should be! ;)

nat67

Established Member
Talking of this I saw a photo on Railway Herald a few days back and a set, not sure which but it looked like it only had load 6 not 7.

1e10

Currently on XC03. Noticed the toilet in coach B (non-accessible first class) has been removed but that a toilet now exists directly oppisite in coach C which isn’t currently on the XC HST layout. Not sure if this is a modification or if the coach has been flipped around.

Presumably these units now have retention tanks?

nat67

Established Member
Currently on XC03. Noticed the toilet in coach B (non-accessible first class) has been removed but that a toilet now exists directly oppisite in coach C which isn’t currently on the XC HST layout. Not sure if this is a modification or if the coach has been flipped around.

Presumably these units now have retention tanks?
The set (Coach) could have been swapped around at Laira at some point?

On Moderation
Isn't this because the design of the Mark 3 makes retro-fitting the retention tank easier at one end of the coach?
Yes. Toilet tanks can only be (easily) fitted at the no. 1 end of a Mark 3; the no. 2 end has the brake frame and air tanks at that end of the underframe.

XCTurbostar

Established Member
Six coaches of Sliding Door XC01 is currently on-route to Laira from Doncaster with 43153 and 43154 (GWR Powercars) providing power.

What’s the point of these mods? I just don’t see how they are an issue for people wirh disabilities? We’ve managed for a long time... I get adding inside door handles, and locking windows, but I don’t get the point of the auto doors

Sorry to quote a post from almost a year ago. There is not point to it, slam doors are perfectly fine. Just put a handle on the inside so you don't have to reach out the windows. Power doors on mk3's are the biggest waste of money, biggest pain in the backside and most inconvenient project there is.

SC43090

The formation of today's train is as follows......

Note 2 of those coaches have been in Wabterc for over 2 years..... 42097 42342

1400 Doncaster Wabtec to Laira

SC 43090

Sometimes the coach with the large access prm toilet seems to be come along later. This happened with some of the GWR Gtis anyway

That makes sense thanks

Hopefully the 7th coach will follow not too far behind

cactustwirly

Established Member
Sorry to quote a post from almost a year ago. There is not point to it, slam doors are perfectly fine. Just put a handle on the inside so you don't have to reach out the windows. Power doors on mk3's are the biggest waste of money, biggest pain in the backside and most inconvenient project there is.

No they're not, that's why they'll be illegal post Decmeber 2019

xc170

Roughly translates as -

"Stupid disability discrimination act removing ones ability of 'window hang'..."

cambsy

On Moderation
Yesterday Tuesday 30th April, while working out at Tiverton Parkway, just after 7pm I saw 6 XC HST power door coaches, sandwiched between 2 GWR power cars, one which was 43154, pull up short on the platform, with some sort of filming going on in the cab, proper big tv grade camera with cameraman, made me wander what was going on, all a bit weird, anyone know what was going on?

nat67

Established Member
Yesterday Tuesday 30th April, while working out at Tiverton Parkway, just after 7pm I saw 6 XC HST power door coaches, sandwiched between 2 GWR power cars, one which was 43154, pull up short on the platform, with some sort of filming going on in the cab, proper big tv grade camera with cameraman, made me wander what was going on, all a bit weird, anyone know what was going on?
The 6 XC Mk3's were heading from Doncaster Wabtec to Laira after completion of PRM mods. The filming thing I haven't a clue about.

Status
Not open for further replies.