• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CrossCountry (XC) HST modifications including power doors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

greatvoyager

Established Member
Just out of interest, as they are fitting those new doors, I notice they have removed that little window that used to be next to it before the 8 big windows. I remember some these areas had seating on XC HSTs, so does that mean those seats no longer align with a window?

Established Member
Just out of interest, as they are fitting those new doors, I notice they have removed that little window that used to be next to it before the 8 big windows. I remember some these areas had seating on XC HSTs, so does that mean those seats no longer align with a window?
No those seats will have been removed completely.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
Well I have to say the 16:27 from Bristol Temple Meads to Bristol Temple Meads has to be the cleanest HST I've ridden - the power doors look nice and to be quite honest, I'd rather press a button to get off when I'm carrying a shopping bag with bits and bob's in than risk opening the door and it fall out onto the track which thankfully has never happened.

If anyone wants to be as close to hearing a door slam, go for the seats that are by the window in the passenger area of Coach G nearest the Guards Van.

Anyone who's confused, then the slam door is where people load their bikes onto the XC HST's.

Last edited:

greatvoyager

Established Member
Well I have to say the 16:27 from Bristol Temple Meads to Didcot Parkway has to be the cleanest HST I've ridden - the power doors look nice and to be quite honest, I'd rather press a button to get off when I'm carrying a shopping bag with bits and bob's in than risk opening the door and it fall out onto the track which thankfully has never happened.

If anyone wants to be as close to hearing a door slam, go for the seats that are by the window in the passenger area of Coach G nearest the Guards Van.

Anyone who's confused, then the slam door is where people load their bikes onto the XC HST's.
Has having the new doors changed anything in terms of the layout or comfort of the vestibules?

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
Has having the new doors changed anything in terms of the layout or comfort of the vestibules?

Well, where the carriages are connected on the HST's (if that makes sense) you still get an ever so slight draft. I was never chilly in the Quiet Coach - in fact where I sat, that's likely to be virtually the best place (or even the single seat) to avoid a draft!

greatvoyager

Established Member
Well, where the carriages are connected on the HST's (if that makes sense) you still get an ever so slight draft. I was never chilly in the Quiet Coach - in fact where I sat, that's likely to be virtually the best place (or even the single seat) to avoid a draft!
That does make sense, I know what you mean. Quiet coaches tend to be fine in terms of humidity and comfort.

Spirit555

XC02 entered service today as a 6 car, as is XC01.

Have they reduced XC03 & 04 as well or are spare trailers not available either

Mark

Established Member
XC02 entered service today as a 6 car, as is XC01.

Have they reduced XC03 & 04 as well or are spare trailers not available either

Mark
No intention on reducing the coaches. Most likely due to a coach requiring maintenance from each set. I know one spare vehicle is up at Doncaster ATM along with XC05.

Spirit555

Spare plug door must be OOS as well then. I make it they have 25 42xxx.

With 5 coaches away that should still leave 20 to cover 4 sets.

Is that poor availability ?

Mark

43 302

Established Member
43304 and 43 378 are at Doncaster, is this to collect the final sliding door set XC05?

Mordac

Established Member
I know XC01-04 are done, but in addition to XC05, there's a few spare coaches knocking about. Are those done too?

When XC05 went up, it went up with an additional slam door TS or TSD I believe, so yes there are some other coaches around but I believe they have now all been done?

Established Member
I know XC01-04 are done, but in addition to XC05, there's a few spare coaches knocking about. Are those done too?
At least one has early on in the upgrade and I think another went up with XC05.

43 302

Established Member
IIRC four of the spares have already been done and the fifth went up with XC05.

On Moderation
IIRC four of the spares have already been done and the fifth went up with XC05.
It’s not that simple. XC have been using the spares as a float through the programme so there are currently 12 vehicles at Doncaster.

mic505

Are there plans to create an additional 2+6 6th set, using the five spare XC coaches, with an ex-TF LNER coach and two spare power cars?

43 302

Established Member
Are there plans to create an additional 2+6 6th set, using the five spare XC coaches, with an ex-TF LNER coach and two spare power cars?
Nope. Only additions to the XC HST fleet afaik are 43208 and 43239 to allow more of the currents sets to be out per day.

Status
Not open for further replies.