• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CROSSING KEEPER application-BRblue

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRistol21

Good Day guys,

I am in the process of securing an Interview for a N.W.Rail vacancy.

I have completed their 'online assessment' and now await 3-5 day response.
I have noted others on here seeking interview knowledge, also I did go and view the crossing-expecting to see it Manned, and was thereby trying to establish a friendly conversation, of expectations and requirements for the role.

Unfortunately the Crossing was Electronic, and there was NO BOX or anything for Protection against elements !

There is a House, with a driveway that leads to the road that crosses this crossing, but the House has NO signage to associate it with the Railway.

So, How can I get to chat with - anyone - who has Dedicated knowledge of this Crossings opertions ?

I did read previous posts by BRblue
who does give good sensible advice, so Mr BRblue, where can you suggest I
seek further knowledge ?

with thanks for anyone's help, REGARDS to ALL..........Be SAFE-at all TIMES.;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GB

Established Member
Unfortunately the Crossing was Electronic, and there was NO BOX or anything for Protection against elements !

If thats the case then it is almost certainly controlled from a remote location.

Might be an idea to post the crossing location or link to google maps for someone to get a better idea.

godfreycomplex

Established Member
As GB says, the crossing you visited was almost certainly controlled from a remote location.
Without knowing where the crossing is it's difficult to give further advice, but I'll do what I can
Many crossing keepers do still primarily work in small crossing boxes, however many of these also control several level crossings nearby (mostly via CCTV cameras linking to a television screen/computer monitor in the controlling box), especially in flatter parts of the country. There are also several CCTV crossing keeper desks in larger signal boxes, which is essentially a bank of monitors, one for each crossing, that the Crossing Keeper operates when necessary.
Anyway, enough of my rambling and onto an attempt to answer your question .
Controlled level crossings (some operate automatically but I won't go into those here), wherever they may be, operate in basically the same manner. - in layman's terms -The crossing is closed to traffic. The person operating the crossing checks that the crossing is clear of obstructions or other dangers. The crossing is confirmed to be clear (by the operation of a button or lever). After this confirmation is received, the railway signals can be cleared and trains can pass. Once the train(s) have passed, the person operating the crossing re-opens the crossing to traffic.
Apologies if you know all that already, hope it helps nonetheless
I'm a Signaller rather than a Crossing Keeper so I don't know the exact format, but the interview will, as likely as not, feature the Network Rail Non-Technical Skills quite heavily, so research the bejesus out of those
Rest assured however, as far as I know all Crossing Keepers have an indoor space of some kind, there would be riots if they didn't!
As I say hope this helps, and if I can be of any more help you need only ask :)

Last edited:

BRistol21

As GB says, the crossing you visited was almost certainly controlled from a remote location.
Without knowing where the crossing is it's difficult to give further advice, but I'll do what I can
Many crossing keepers do still primarily work in small crossing boxes, however many of these also control several level crossings nearby (mostly via CCTV cameras linking to a television screen/computer monitor in the controlling box), especially in flatter parts of the country. There are also several CCTV crossing keeper desks in larger signal boxes, which is essentially a bank of monitors, one for each crossing, that the Crossing Keeper operates when necessary.
Anyway, enough of my rambling and onto an attempt to answer your question .
Controlled level crossings (some operate automatically but I won't go into those here), wherever they may be, operate in basically the same manner. - in layman's terms -The crossing is closed to traffic. The person operating the crossing checks that the crossing is clear of obstructions or other dangers. The crossing is confirmed to be clear (by the operation of a button or lever). After this confirmation is received, the railway signals can be cleared and trains can pass. Once the train(s) have passed, the person operating the crossing re-opens the crossing to traffic.
Apologies if you know all that already, hope it helps nonetheless
I'm a Signaller rather than a Crossing Keeper so I don't know the exact format, but the interview will, as likely as not, feature the Network Rail Non-Technical Skills quite heavily, so research the bejesus out of those
Rest assured however, as far as I know all Crossing Keepers have an indoor space of some kind, there would be riots if they didn't!
As I say hope this helps, and if I can be of any more help you need only ask :)
Hi godfreycomplex

I very much appreciate your time and the information you have supplied.
You don't have to apologise, all information offered is GOOD information.

I am blessed to have a Signaller respond, as I believe you guys have such a wealth of experience regarding operations upon Railway Infrastructure.

I work on the Railway doing T3 protection-my only experience of 12 months.
I have PTS, IWA and PS competencies.

I am not a full time employee, and can only obtain- 1, 2, 3 or 4 days work a week !

The Crossing location is PUXTON

Being naive, I never thought there would be a group of crossings covered by a Monitored system- otherwise i would have looked for more crossings, to try and find a person controlling them-just to introduce myself and ask possibly some silly questions.

Is there a specific place I could research the Non-Technical Skills ?

I do value your imput, and i have to say, in the 12 months doing my role, I have experienced nothing but really helpful people, who offer advice easily.

with thanks

BR1stol21

Darbs

Puxton is controlled from the crossing box at putt on old station. Sounds like you were at hewish crossing which is cctv controlled from puxton. They are very close together. I assume your currently working for bridge way in the Bristol area?

BRistol21

Hi Darbs

I was by the 'Full Quart' Pub, there is a small road just before the Pub coming from Bristol - ( off A 370 ) and Yes, it was an Automated crossing.

I have tried google maps to view a.n.other- but can't see any.

Im still engaged with Bridgeway, correct.

PUTT on Old Station......unsure where that is ? sorry.

Thanks for the info

Darbs

Yes you were at Hewish. Putt on is my spell check? Should have read as Puxton old station! They are only a mile or so apart. Have a look at puxton if you can. They are quite friendly down there!

Status
Not open for further replies.