• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crossing Keeper Job Loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

adr

Hi Everyone,

I would like some advice please:

In September 2015 I applied for a job with Network Rail as a crossing keeper at Kintbury.

I passed all the exams and interview stage and was offered the job in condition i passed the medical.

I failed medical because I am a type 1 diabetic, my levels are very stable but I was told that because I would be working alone it was too risky and it would mean someone would have to work alongside me which just wasnt an option. I therefore lost out on what could have been my dream job.

I have often wanted to apply again because looking back now I am thinking was this not some sort of discrimination at the time and I could have got around it or are these definitely the rules in Network Rail?

Any help appreciated

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Darandio

Established Member
There was a similar thread here some time ago. https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/signaller-and-type-1-diabetes.137527/

Looking with limited knowledge at the management guidance, it doesn't seem like there was discrimination at play simply because I cannot see how they can be reasonably expected to have a second person employed in a single manned location, the economics just don't work. It seems that in a multi-manned location there would be less of an issue.

adr

So am I right in thinking that they do not take on type 1 diabetics for a single crossing keeper but if it was manned by 2 or more people they would?

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Crossing keeper at a multi manned location (signalling centre with a crossing desk) you’d be okay, subject to a risk assessment. You’d wouldn’t be able to work at a single manned location for your, and the railways safety - no discrimination, risk based assessment in a to protect everyone.

Unfortunately sometimes there are jobs people just simply can’t do because of health reasons, we just have to accept it and not look for discrimination.

theironroad

Established Member
Hi Everyone,

In September 2015 I applied for a job with Network Rail as a crossing keeper at Kintbury.

I passed all the exams and interview stage and was offered the job in condition i passed the medical.

I failed medical because I am a type 1 diabetic, my levels are very stable but I was told that because I would be working alone it was too risky and it would mean someone would have to work alongside me which just wasnt an option. I therefore lost out on what could have been my dream job.

I have often wanted to apply again because looking back now I am thinking was this not some sort of discrimination at the time and I could have got around it or are these definitely the rules in Network Rail?

Any help appreciated

Without wanting to be too blunt, but as you seem to be going for a discrimination line. What do you think would be a reasonable alternative? The location is for a single person to be on duty like in many signal boxes still.

adr

A reasonable alternative would be to offer reasonable adjustments, this is the 21st century, we are not living in the dark ages anymore

adr

Also if it is the case that a type 1 diabetic cannot work alone in a crossing box, shouldn't this have been made well before the interview stage?

SlimJim1694

I sympathise with the OP but have to agree its not discrimination. If you were colourblind would you expect to get a drivers job and be provided with a permanent second man to shadow your roster and call out the signal aspects to you? That sounds harsh, but it's not intended that way. If you were to apply for a multi-staffed location and they still refused it based on your having type 1 diabetes then I think you could look into claiming discrimination but not when the post you went for is designated a single manned location. If you already worked at a single manned location when diagnosed then a reasonable adjustment might be to move you to a location with more staff but as you weren't employed by them already they dont have to accommodate you.

alxndr

Established Member
I have to agree with the consensus, it’s a matter of practicalities rather than discrimination. Even forgetting the economics of having a second person keeping an eye on you there’s also not a lot of room in Kintbury! You’d quickly end up getting in each other’s way.

Unfortunately the nature of the railway is that people with certain medical conditions must be accompanied, and sometimes that’s not practical. I know some people who must be accompanied at all times when out on track, they wouldn’t expect to be able to get a job that’s traditionally done alone (e.g. a MOM) due to their restrictions. It’s for their protection as well as the railway’s, no matter how unlikely it might be to affect them. It might seem overcautious but the consequences if someone has a bad turn are too great to risk.

You’d be better looking at a job in a ROC where there will be plenty of others around, either TVSC (Didcot) or Basingstoke depending on your location.

nom de guerre

You’d be better looking at a job in a ROC where there will be plenty of others around, either TVSC (Didcot) or Basingstoke depending on your location.

No signalling in Basingstoke ROC as yet.

But otherwise agreed - has the OP tried to apply for any multi-manned boxes?

adr

I appreciate the feedback, I haven't and probably wont apply for a multi occupied signal boxe position only because I wanted to work alone rather than with a group of people. I think theres a bigger sense of freedom and achievement doing this.

I just wanted an honest answer to an honest question, can a type 1 diabetic work alone in a signal box for Network Rail, I think I got the answer thankyou.

Llanigraham

Established Member
A reasonable alternative would be to offer reasonable adjustments, this is the 21st century, we are not living in the dark ages anymore
And exactly what "reasonable adjustments" do you think that should be?

There are many jobs that preclude diabetics and others from doing them, not just the railway , all legally and justifiably.

Sorry but pushing the disability button is not going to work.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
What if you have an issue alone and need help? My limited understanding is you could well die if you didn’t get you medication, it’s about YOUR safety as well others - nothing good do with reasonable adjustments or discrimination.

Apply for a multi manned location, where if your successful reasonably adjustments can be made - such as a restriction on your app where you can only work multi manned locations plenty about.

adr

You could have a perfectly healthy guy die from a heart attack working alone, that's more likely to happen. I am not playing any disability button. Just wanted to get a logical answer from somebody.

Class2ldn

Yeah but a heart attack isnt a condition you already have that restricts the job you're looking to do, you unfortunately do so you have to accept that.

Some jobs you just cannot do because of a medical condition and that's that, it's not nice if you are in that situation but it's not something you can start saying its discrimination because you fall into that category.

LOM

Type 1 diabetes would also disbar you from obtaining a Class 3 medical certificate to be an air traffic controller, for what it is worth.

adr

Thankyou LOM, that's another route I can cross off the list.

theironroad

Established Member

No it's not the dark ages, but there are still lots of jobs that are done by one person and are safety critical and the employer has a duty to risk assess via a medical whether the person is ok for the job. You mention heart attack, ECG are part of medicals for some grades to spot . heart irregularities.

It is the 21c and with NR's plans to centralise all signalling most of these jobs for a single person in a box or crossing will be lost for everyone as they are eliminated.

I fully get why you talk about reasonable adjustment, but without someone being on duty with you or constantly monitoring, I don't see a workaround form that perspective.

One way you could try to get reasonable adjustment is I guess from your point of view and use of 1) continuous glucose monitoring equipment that sends you a message if BG is out of limits and 2) insulin pumps that automatically monitor and adjust insulin.

If your medical history is that you don't get hypo episodes etc and new tech can show that you could do the job safely, then you could try to get a new precedent I guess.

However, you'd need to research getting the medical group standards changed (I think RSSB or ORR) because the staff at medicals just apply the rules set as to whether someone passes or fails.

Established Member
You could have a perfectly healthy guy die from a heart attack working alone, that's more likely to happen. I am not playing any disability button. Just wanted to get a logical answer from somebody.

Keep in mind that medicals for safety critical staff include ECGs. Someone with serious heart issues would also be unable to do certain railway jobs. It’s vanishingly unlikely that anyone “perfectly healthy” would be able to get through a medical and still keel over from a heart attack while working.

I do understand your frustration, but safety always has to come first, and that means there will always be some conditions which will preclude certain people from certain jobs.

This thread has shades of the discussions about colourblindness precluding people from becoming train drivers.

Established Member
Signaller medicals (Network Rail level 5) do not include an ECG.

I’m surprised by that.

But I guess the general point still stands - there must be a good medical reason why type 1 diabetes poses a risk which prevents someone from doing a crossing keepers’ job.

Llanigraham

Established Member

Heart attacks are rare, so not a worthwhile comparison.
I wear a hearing aid so am not able to hold a PTS Certificate, therefore I am unable to be a MOM or Level Crossing Manager. And that is for MY safety. It is nothing to be with discrimination.
You being a Type 1 diabetic is exactly the same, it is for YOUR safety.

Stigy

Established Member
I’m surprised by that.

But I guess the general point still stands - there must be a good medical reason why type 1 diabetes poses a risk which prevents someone from doing a crossing keepers’ job.
I’m no expert but I guess it’s the risk factor. Those with a heart condition which has never been picked up before or given any cause for concern aren’t a massive risk so an ECG wouldn’t me necessary.

Those with diabetes usually know about it, and if not treated will nearly always pose a risk to life in the most severe cases.

nom de guerre

I appreciate the feedback, I haven't and probably wont apply for a multi occupied signal boxe position only because I wanted to work alone rather than with a group of people. I think theres a bigger sense of freedom and achievement doing this

I can empathise.

IMO there is a bigger sense of freedom working a single-manned box, but it’s a wash as far as “achievement” is concerned.

train_lover

Hi Everyone,

Any help appreciated
I'm really sorry to hear this but don't give up. I'm a driver with type 1.

Mills444

Type 1 diabetes would also disbar you from obtaining a Class 3 medical certificate to be an air traffic controller, for what it is worth.
And a class one for preforming commercial flights.

74A

I'm really sorry to hear this but don't give up. I'm a driver with type 1.

Interesting. I would have thought a driver would have been more of a risk than a level crossing keeper. Perhaps Network Rail need to review their reasoning for denying you the job.

BRblue

Interesting. I would have thought a driver would have been more of a risk than a level crossing keeper. Perhaps Network Rail need to review their reasoning for denying you the job.
Why would Network Rail need to review their reasoning... if a train driver becomes incapacitated for any reason the signaller would receive a dsd alarm, the signaller would then try to contact the driver aware that there may be a problem.
A lone signaller on the other hand does not have the same kind of protection, at least not until a train has come to a stand for a couple of minutes and tried to contact the signaller.

Status
Not open for further replies.