• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crossing the Thames using 'new' Blackfriars from December

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bedpan

Established Member
Or presumably a NR ticket that allows a break of journey there. Which begs another question, can you break your journey before you start it? ie Enter from the South Bank with a ticket from Blackfriars to somewhere, cross the river, leave the station on the north side, and then reenter to undertake the journey that you've got the ticket for?

I think its fair enough that casual pedestrians should't be permitted to clog up the station, after all the road bridhe and the Milennium Bridge are both only a short distance away.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
So, basically you can't use the station as a river crossing unless you have a travelcard. Is that the gist?

To cross without travelling you need one of:
  • Paper travelcard including zone 1
  • Oyster with travelcard season including zone 1
  • PAYG Oyster which is/will be capped as long as you don't take less than 2 minutes or more than 30 minutes
  • Un capped PAYG Oyster if you don't mind paying upto £2 for the privilege
What's not clear is whether you can cross the bridge from north to south after finishing a tube journey.

island

Veteran Member
Or presumably a NR ticket that allows a break of journey there. Which begs another question, can you break your journey before you start it? ie Enter from the South Bank with a ticket from Blackfriars to somewhere, cross the river, leave the station on the north side, and then reenter to undertake the journey that you've got the ticket for?

I think its fair enough that casual pedestrians should't be permitted to clog up the station, after all the road bridhe and the Milennium Bridge are both only a short distance away.

Your ticket will probably not be accepted through the gates the second time around.

SAPhil

To cross without travelling you need one of:
  • Paper travelcard including zone 1
  • Oyster with travelcard season including zone 1
  • PAYG Oyster which is/will be capped as long as you don't take less than 2 minutes or more than 30 minutes
  • Un capped PAYG Oyster if you don't mind paying upto £2 for the privilege
What's not clear is whether you can cross the bridge from north to south after finishing a tube journey.

Do such things a platform tickets still exist?

aptisman

Yes, available at all LU ticket offices, or AFMs and MultiFares if TO shut, cost £1.00.

John @ home

Established Member
Do such things a platform tickets still exist?

Yes, available at all LU ticket offices, or AFMs and MultiFares if TO shut, cost £1.00.
But that's a LU platform ticket, which could be used at Blackfriars tube station when it re-opens. I don't think that ticket would work at Blackfriars National Rail station.

Blackfriars National Rail may or may not sell platform tickets. If they do, The Manual says they cost 10p.

cav1975

In London Transport days Earl's Court used to issue return platform tickets to cater for this type of flow and allow customers to return without buying a second platform ticket!

I don't know if they still do.

Maybe SouthEastern could learn from that example and effectively operate a toll bridge.

Bungle73

On Moderation
In London Transport days Earl's Court used to issue return platform tickets to cater for this type of flow and allow customers to return without buying a second platform ticket!

I don't know if they still do.

Maybe SouthEastern could learn from that example and effectively operate a toll bridge.

What would be the point when there's two other bridges right next to it?

Folks, the 'Thameslink programme' website is an NR one. They don't know that much about the fares, only the infrastructure. Best to wait to get a definitive view from FCC on this one: as Mojo says, I'd be surprised if this was any different from the standard policy on entrance/exit at the same station. On the other hand a toll of £25 (the £50 PF paid immediately) to use the 'footbridge' that NR is creating at Blackfriars would at least help defray the c.£4bn total cost of the scheme...!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Best to wait to get a definitive view from FCC on this one:

You'd wait a long time, there has been ample evidence is these forums that FCC staff haven't really got much of a clue about Oyster, particularly when it comes to stuff like continuation entries and exits, IIRC weren't they attempting to charge PFs for people passing through Finsbury Park when the barriers first went in? I also recall they don't appear to know much about combiniong zonal tickets?

I'd also already suggested earlier in the thread that FCC are just clouding the issue by their comments about the 'bridge' on the T/L programme website, and that the rules are exactly the same as any other station that you enter and exit without travelling.

BTW I think the Thameslink Programme website is definitely run by FCC - on a couple of previous occasions, when I've reported misleading or out of date info, the replies have been from FCC. Scroll all the way down and see it is their copyright message as well...

34D

Established Member
You'll all know of that well-travelled chap who appears on Railway Station platforms in local uniform all over the country and telling passengers to 'go on, you'll be okay' when they don't have a valid ticket.
Well, I met him the other day at Blackfriars. The barriers were open, I didn't have a ticket, and I wasn't travelling. What I did want to do is have a look at the works to see how soon the platform might be available as a new Thames foot-bridge. So I had a chat with him.
I don't know what he thought I'd asked, but he said 'go on and take whatever pictures you want'. (Funny that, as I didn't mention pictures and haven't carried a camera for well over 10 years!)

Hang on, are we saying that some weird chap is impersonating rail staff at various stations across the country? This is almost certainly an offence, and should be reported to BTP.

Lrd

Established Member
Hang on, are we saying that some weird chap is impersonating rail staff at various stations across the country? This is almost certainly an offence, and should be reported to BTP.

No, I think he means that there are some staff in some companies across the country that are a little clueless and don't know the rules that their company set.

island

Veteran Member
No, I think he means that there are some staff in some companies across the country that are a little clueless and don't know the rules that their company set.
I can't tell whether you're in on the joke or not, but the reference is to the common excuse given by passengers without a valid ticket to inspectors saying "that bloke on the platform said I could travel".

Lrd

Established Member
I can't tell whether you're in on the joke or not, but the reference is to the common excuse given by passengers without a valid ticket to inspectors saying "that bloke on the platform said I could travel".

Yes I thought it could be that as well but wasn't too sure because he said to the guy he wasn't traveling.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Exactly my point, thank you for clarifying.

The irony in my report was that I received the same 'assurance' that I could just walk through the barriers without a ticket - precisely the same 'excuse' which ticketless travellers give when when caught by a Guard or RPI.

(For the avoidance of doubt, the person I spoke with was most definitely a bona-fide member of the FCC team at Blackfriars)

Lrd

Established Member
The irony in my report was that I received the same 'assurance' that I could just walk through the barriers without a ticket - precisely the same 'excuse' which ticketless travellers give when when caught by a Guard or RPI.

Ah, that make's sense! Thanks for clearing it up. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.