• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crossrail bits and bobs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AM9

Veteran Member
Thameslink could be called the 18 year late line!

Or if the cross-London lines are to be given the names of Monarchs, then Thameslink's earlier introduction would indicate the Goerge VI Line to be more appropriate, especially as it has been known to operate with a bit of a stutter! :)

TheKnightWho

Established Member
Strangely enough, although I am a monarchist, I too am against the name.

A bit too sycophantic for my taste.

It doesn't roll off the tongue in quite the same way Victoria does, really. Curious to know what the Overground lines are being named though.

Domh245

Established Member
It doesn't roll off the tongue in quite the same way Victoria does, really. Curious to know what the Overground lines are being named though.

How about minor Royals?

"Eugene line train to Watford Junction"

"Princess Michael of Kent line train to New Cross Gate"

etc

[/sarcasm]

ijmad

Established Member
Overground Line naming sounds interesting. Wonder if they'll revert to their old names of West, North and East London Line (plus new names for the ones out of Liverpool St?).

Plus, not a lot of colours left for the map. Maybe they'll re-use existing colours but with two thin lines or some other magic idea. They could re-use Piccadilly blue for the East London Line as they don't cross, Circle yellow for the North London Line and Bakerloo Brown for the Goblin maybe.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Plus, not a lot of colours left for the map. Maybe they'll re-use existing colours but with two thin lines or some other magic idea. They could re-use Piccadilly blue for the East London Line as they don't cross, Circle yellow for the North London Line and Bakerloo Brown for the Goblin maybe.

Looked at through the other end of the telescope, if a single colour is OK for the DLR and Overground, why not have one colour for the H&C, Circle, District, and Met? The SSR as it is known. That's becoming more and more the same thing operationally with the SSR upgrade...

I don't recall having much of a problem getting on the right train before the H&C got its own colour all those years ago...

coupwotcoup

It will be nice to get something new to peruse when I am outside the King Harold having a fag this Sunday lunchtime....

Not been down the Wood for a week or so and didn't realise it [the footbridge] had already been put into place...

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
I'm not sure a Charlie Line would go down well in marketing terms ;)

Wait until Charles's first son becomes King. Once that happens, I shall look forward to the naming of some new rail line after the King, and to the consequent inevitable colloquial shortening of the name... ;)

TheNewNo2

I'm not much of a fan of "Elizabeth Line", but I quite like what London Reconnections came up with as a nickname "the QE Tube".

theironroad

Established Member
oh it's total Order of the Brown Nose stuff from Johnson

Absolutely.

It's vomit inducing stuff, just like the extremely expensive Boris vanity project of a new routemaster bus.

It's not an London underground line and doesn't need naming as such, though use of term 'crossrail' was useful as pretty much everyone in London and many outside know what it is.

coppercapped

Established Member
Absolutely.

It's vomit inducing stuff, just like the extremely expensive Boris vanity project of a new routemaster bus.

It's not an London underground line and doesn't need naming as such, though use of term 'crossrail' was useful as pretty much everyone in London and many outside know what it is.

Err, the central stations will be integrated with, and managed by, LUL.

theironroad

Established Member
Err, the central stations will be integrated with, and managed by, LUL.
There are plenty of mainline stations already integrated with tube stations for connection purposes but those tube stations, line Wimbledon, richmond etc aren't subsumed under the tube brand, each part either lul or TOC does it own managing and branding.

I'm not sure who manage the crossrail core stations, but I'm pretty sure that operational control of the crossrail railway will remain with crossrail and not be part of lul's operational controllers remit, but happy to be shown evidence otherwise.

cactustwirly

Established Member
There are plenty of mainline stations already integrated with tube stations for connection purposes but those tube stations, line Wimbledon, richmond etc aren't subsumed under the tube brand, each part either lul or TOC does it own managing and branding.

Richmond and Wimbledon (alongside Barking & Upminster) aren't managed/branded by LUL, but by SWT(or c2c)

coppercapped

Established Member
I'm not sure who manage the crossrail core stations, but I'm pretty sure that operational control of the crossrail railway will remain with crossrail and not be part of lul's operational controllers remit, but happy to be shown evidence otherwise.

Which bit of
the central stations will be integrated with, and managed by, LUL.
is difficult to understand?

Train operation will be under the control of Crossrail's control office in Ilford. A back-up control centre is also being built.

Last edited:

ijmad

Established Member
I don't really mind it being named, but what annoys me is how they've apparently decided to use roundels.

Outside the stations there will be purple roundels with "Elizabeth Line" on the centre bar, as shown here, which no other TfL service does, they use the service type (Tube, Overground, Busses, etc.) in the roundels outside the stations and the station name on the platforms. I can't recall any roundels ever having line names in them.

I would be fine with the new network being called Crossrail (much like the RER in France) and the lines getting names, but the roundels would still need to say Crossrail in that case.

It's not consistent. This frustrates me.

I don't really mind it being named, but what annoys me is how they've apparently decided to use roundels.

Outside the stations there will be purple roundels with "Elizabeth Line" on the centre bar, as shown here, which no other TfL service does, they use the service type (Tube, Overground, Busses, etc.) in the roundels outside the stations and the station name on the platforms. I can't recall any roundels ever having line names in them.

I would be fine with the new network being called Crossrail (much like the RER in France) and the lines getting names, but the roundels would still need to say Crossrail in that case.

It's not consistent. This frustrates me.

I tweeted the same complaint to TfL but they haven't got round to responding as yet!!

Tio Terry

I'm not much of a fan of "Elizabeth Line", but I quite like what London Reconnections came up with as a nickname "the QE Tube".

It's going to be called The Lizzy isn't it?

"Lets get the Lizzy to Tottenham Court Road and change there". Wonder if it will get used for the On Network parts of Crossrail as well?

miami

Established Member
It's going to be called The Lizzy isn't it?

"Lets get the Lizzy to Tottenham Court Road and change there". Wonder if it will get used for the On Network parts of Crossrail as well?

The busy lizzy, the sweaty Betty

Tio Terry

Electrification of Paddington Platform 14 this Easter has been abandoned. The effects of the electrification on the adjacent LU lines has not been adequately assessed.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I thought Betty too, but then could not get the image of Michael Crawford's character out of my head. I am certain that is what Londoners will call it.

More likely Busy Lizzie. Or Brenda (for Private Eye readers). Or, if it is discovered that the tunnel contractors have skimped on the concrete lining, and additional lining is necessary, thus requiring new trains to a slightly narrower loading gauge, it will be the Thin Lizzy.

Coat retrieved. ;)

Tio Terry

The H&C runs alongside the same AC railway just outside the station, it surely can't require a totally different technical solution within the area of the platforms?

The buffer stops on 14 will be closer to the H&C so any over-run is likely to obstruct it, this means a track circuit interrupter has to be fitted which must be integrated with the H&C signalling system. The electrification will be for a 12ka railway AT system, the current system is a 6ka system so the potential fault current is very different. The effect of this has yet to be assessed.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The buffer stops on 14 will be closer to the H&C so any over-run is likely to obstruct it, this means a track circuit interrupter has to be fitted which must be integrated with the H&C signalling system. The electrification will be for a 12ka railway AT system, the current system is a 6ka system so the potential fault current is very different. The effect of this has yet to be assessed.

Thanks for that. The devil is in the detail then.

Status
Not open for further replies.