• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crossrail bits and bobs

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the topic of names it is perhaps a good job that Crossrail is not being built in north America or it might end up being called The Trump Tube!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Given the advanced age to which her mother lived, shouldn't TfL have waited until Crossrail 2 was ready, then name it the Elizabeth the Second Line?

Clip

Established Member
Passed by the Custom house stretch today and saw these just before the tunnel

Apologies for poor quality of pictures.

Attachments

• WP_20160309_06_47_47_Pro[1].jpg
    WP_20160309_06_47_47_Pro[1].jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 163
  • WP_20160309_06_47_54_Pro[1].jpg
    WP_20160309_06_47_54_Pro[1].jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 136

Quark999

Got a bit excited an posted in the GWR electrification thread - should really be here.

All supports are up along the slow lines in Taplow Station. Must have happened this weekend. Will try to take a better picture off the bridge tonight.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 146

ijmad

Established Member
Londonist just put this up on YouTube. Interesting thoughts on where to get off the train, although no real revelations. Looks like they made it before the Elizabeth Line rebranding though.

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Londonist just put this up on YouTube. Interesting thoughts on where to get off the train, although no real revelations...

I'm surprised that he didn't also mention the double ended nature of Bond St for completeness. In the same way as Tottenham Court Rd has its western entrance (at Dean St), the secondary eastern entrance to Bond St also provides another pseudo-station at Hanover Square.

ISTM that they should invent a way of showing this on some maps or diagrams, as it effectively adds two new 'non-interchange' stations in fairly close proximity to Oxford St (the road, not the station). The two secondary accesses ought to become fairly popular as they'll allow people to keep clear of three of the busiest central area interchange station complexes, i.e. Bond St, Oxford St, and Tottenham Court Rd.

Last edited:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I'm surprised that he didn't also mention the double ended nature of Bond St for completeness. In the same way as Tottenham Court Rd has its western entrance (at Dean St), the secondary eastern entrance to Bond St also provides another pseudo-station at Hanover Square.

ISTM that they should invent a way of showing this on some maps or diagrams, as it effectively adds two new 'non-interchange' stations in fairly close proximity to Oxford St (the road, not the station). The two secondary accesses ought to become fairly popular as they'll allow people to keep clear of three of the busiest central area interchange station complexes, i.e. Bond St, Oxford St, and Tottenham Court Rd.

I wonder how many Central Line passengers currently using Oxford Circus station will use these two new entrances instead - guess it may in part depend on whether they work near Dean Street, northern end, or Hanover Square.

HowardGWR

Established Member
Londonist just put this up on YouTube. Interesting thoughts on where to get off the train, although no real revelations. Looks like they made it before the Elizabeth Line rebranding though.

Thanks for the link. I wonder when people will stop saying 'two thousand and ........'? I predict it will be 2020. Now, how did you just mentally say that? See what I mean?:D

I have wondered how people said 1909 in 1909. I said twenty oh-nine in 2009, but I think it was all this millennial nonsense and the Space Odyssey rubbish that started the rot.

Apologies for ever so slightly OT.:D

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Any hints of nicknames yet for the Elizabeth line? On a Frequent Flier board (of all places) someone tongue-in-cheek suggested the Brenda Line as Private Eye use that for Her Maj.

Established Member
Any hints of nicknames yet for the Elizabeth line? On a Frequent Flier board (of all places) someone tongue-in-cheek suggested the Brenda Line as Private Eye use that for Her Maj.

Been mentioned elsewhere but we've had the QE Tube, or during the rush hour the Bizzie Lizzie line.

Last edited:

spangles

Thanks for the link. I wonder when people will stop saying 'two thousand and ........'? I predict it will be 2020. Now, how did you just mentally say that? See what I mean?:D

I have wondered how people said 1909 in 1909. I said twenty oh-nine in 2009, but I think it was all this millennial nonsense and the Space Odyssey rubbish that started the rot.

2012 was referred to by most people as twenty-twelve.

ijmad

Established Member
The talk about the linked stations reminds me of this helpful post/diagram from Diamond Geezer about how long Crossrail trains are going to be.

The answer: loooooooooooong...

and that's before the inevitable lengthening the platforms are built to cope with.

Last edited:

deltic

Established Member
What happen to the proposed Crossrail - WCML connection to relieve congestion at Euston when HS2 is being built? Did it get dropped?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
What happen to the proposed Crossrail - WCML connection to relieve congestion at Euston when HS2 is being built? Did it get dropped?

It isn't really 'dropped' because AFAICS it has never been formally requested by DfT. In any case I think it will have to be provided by HS2 if it is decided to go ahead, the Crossrail project are pretty much constrained to do only what their existing enabling Act allows for.

TheKnightWho

Established Member
It seems the service pattern has been designed with possible westward extensions in mind: 14tph statting at Paddington seems excessive, with only 10tph extending onto the GWML. If such an extension onto the WCML is built via OOC, I imagine all of those would extend (at least in part) towards Milton Keynes.

mr_jrt

Established Member
It seems the service pattern has been designed with possible westward extensions in mind: 14tph statting at Paddington seems excessive, with only 10tph extending onto the GWML. If such an extension onto the WCML is built via OOC, I imagine all of those would extend (at least in part) towards Milton Keynes.

It's been discussed to death before, but yes. :)

I suspect the Tring stoppers would get upgraded to 4tph for a start, but Crossrail stock might have a tough sell out to MK as it hasn't got any toilets...thought the same argument would suggest against reaching Reading too...though I doubt many would use CR from either of those stations unless they wanted an intermediate station otherwise you'd just use the fast line services.

My preference is to pull in the services to High Wycombe, but that aside, it's a shame more infrastructure isn't being built to serve the GWML corridor through West London properly. CR massively increases capacity, yes, but the poor service provision to stations between Slough and Ealing Broadway will still suppress demand - and that's because the railway is having to serve dual roles as an all-stations local metro and as a semi-fast suburban railway. Had they put in the tracks to segregate the metro services (or indeed, just the freight services and in effect, extended the all-stations CR core), then those urban stations could get a much more suitable service level and we might actually see some relief on the roads.

Last edited:

Busaholic

Veteran Member

I suspect the Tring stoppers would get upgraded to 4tph for a start, but Crossrail stock might have a tough sell out to MK as it hasn't got any toilets...thought the same argument would suggest against reaching Reading too...though I doubt many would use CR from either of those stations unless they wanted an intermediate station otherwise you'd just use the fast line services.

My preference is to pull in the services to High Wycombe, but that aside, it's a shame more infrastructure isn't being built to serve the GWML corridor through West London properly. CR massively increases capacity, yes, but the poor service provision to stations between Slough and Ealing Broadway will still suppress demand - and that's because the railway is having to serve dual roles as an all-stations local metro and as a semi-fast suburban railway. Had they put in the tracks to segregate the metro services (or indeed, just the freight services and in effect, extended the all-stations CR core), then those urban stations could get a much more suitable service level and we might actually see some relief on the roads.

It's Heathrow that shouldn't be getting Crossrail, having promised £500 million towards its construction and then reneging on the promise, it apparently not being legally binding. Think what use that service could be in other parts of west London.

TheKnightWho

Established Member
It's Heathrow that shouldn't be getting Crossrail, having promised £500 million towards its construction and then reneging on the promise, it apparently not being legally binding. Think what use that service could be in other parts of west London.

Where else would those services go..?

deltic

Established Member

CAA stopped it contributing - nothing to do with Heathrow's owners

TheNewNo2

It mostly happened in 2010, though some people (Jeremy Paxman) have been using "twenty-oh six" way before that.

I heard somewhere that Heathrow Airport is to be gradually closed and a new hub (presumably Boris Island) take its place. If so, there's a good service for the new development.

Steveman

I heard somewhere that Heathrow Airport is to be gradually closed and a new hub (presumably Boris Island) take its place. If so, there's a good service for the new development.

Not in most posters lifetimes.

Chris125

Established Member

It was an option but it appears that HS2's plans for Euston do not require it's construction - however IIRC passive provision will exist including the flyover at Old Oak Common.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member

Not in most posters lifetimes.

Not going to happen - too much infrastructure connected to it. It may eventually (not in my lifetime) be dehubbed, but will not be closed completely. Boris Island would then become the new hub for connections etc. It makes sense for flights from the west to land there as no overflight of central London. Flights from the east however --

However, with politicians at long last taking railways seriously, with Crossrail; 1,2 etc and beyond, it does open up possibilities.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
"Boris Island" as a concept was comprehensively dismantled in the Airports Commission report that recommended an additional runway at Gatwick or Heathrow, slightly in favour of Heathrow. It was made clear that it only survived in the process as long as it did to stop Boris throwing his toys out of the pram.

I have noticed this week on TFL Rail services announcements saying "We are now approaching X, the gap between the train and the platform has increased so please take extra care" before a number of stations.

Can anyone shed any light as to why this is? I can only think track changes as I doubt the platforms or trains have got thinner over the weekend! However, moving the track in a station also seems odd.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Can anyone shed any light as to why this is? I can only think track changes as I doubt the platforms or trains have got thinner over the weekend!

It will almost certainly be to provide clearance for the 23m bodied class 345 Crossrail units. Clearly the work will have to be done now, rather than the day before they enter service next year. It will be a combination of longer body, different ride height, making stepping distances safe etc etc. The fact that the Crossrail units also have centre doors (as a result of the third door set being introduced on each carriage) will also affect the platform/train interface problem.

Last edited:

tsangpogorge

Are Cross Rail trains semi-fast west of Paddington and will they replace all or just some of the current GWR stoppers? Final question, is the GWR two or four track between Reading and Paddington?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Are Cross Rail trains semi-fast west of Paddington and will they replace all or just some of the current GWR stoppers? Final question, is the GWR two or four track between Reading and Paddington?

Crossrail is basically 'all stations' west of Paddington, except some very minor stations don't see calls in every service. The probable calling patterns of Crossrail and residual GW are shown on their website here, updated last month: http://74f85f59f39b887b696f-ab65625...service_pattern-reading_to_central_london.pdf

The GW is generally a four track railway from Paddington as far as Reading and then to Didcot, but as part of the Crossrail on-network works a fair number of relief line (slow line) stations between Paddington and Reading will gain loops and/or third platforms that will allow overtaking and turn back opportunities.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.