• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crossrail bits and bobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hophead

Established Member
Surprised there's not a running thread for this project (unless it's laying dormant many pages back).

Anyway, Ian Visits has an interesting article about developments at Abbey Wood.

I've just noted the piece about diverting utilities away from the former level crossing:
It’s taken around a year of work, and considerable coordination with the services to prepare new tunnels under the tracks to one side, then divert all the services to their new home. A year of work, with nothing on the surface to show for it.
Which indicates just why new lines and stations don't just spring up in a matter of weeks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ironside

Yes I have been surprised the hasn't been an ongoing thread on Crossrail. I imagine there isn't as most of the track is either underground or running on lines that are already built.

hassaanhc

Established Member
Platform extension work on the GEML had actually started in the 3rd quarter of 2015, but hardly any mention on here in an earlier thread (where I posted images of GBRf 66 at Custom House).

Early preparation for Southall's new building (behind P4 Up Relief) also started in 2015. Over Christmas part of Southall's Up Relief platform was rebuilt to allow it to be moved easily once the Up Main/Down Relief platform extension starts. In the coming weeks (?) the Down Relief through Southall is to be relaid (new rail appeared about 2 weeks ago).

NotATrainspott

Established Member
Yes I have been surprised the hasn't been an ongoing thread on Crossrail. I imagine there isn't as most of the track is either underground or running on lines that are already built.

It's probably because the process of building it is so ponderously slow and boring, and there's very rarely any interesting information to talk about. By the time there is new information, old threads are well and truly dead.

Established Member
Believe the new footbridge at Harold Wood and platform extensions aren't far from completion.

The platform extension has to be done first to create the space to build the new footbridge. Harold Wood should be the first station ready for DOO equipment for class 345s to be installed.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
It's probably because the process of building it is so ponderously slow and boring, and there's very rarely any interesting information to talk about. By the time there is new information, old threads are well and truly dead.

Not sure it's that slow; but most of the work is taking place underground with most surface works behind big hoardings. There's little to see and other than Abbey Wood few stations where there will be much disruption to services due to works.

ScotGG

Established Member
The new platform at Abbey Wood came into use today. Southeastern services to central London use it. It'll be an island platform evetually for Southeastern alone. The slew south for it allows an island platform for Crossrail beside.

HowardGWR

Established Member
A name associated with a violent death in a tunnel would perhaps not be the best idea. ;)

:D
Mind, I do like these almost meaningless ones like Bakerloo.

Would 'Readwood' or 'Abbing' do?

'Padwharf' has a certain je ne sais quoi about it, n'est-ce pas?

Deepgreen

Established Member
:D
Mind, I do like these almost meaningless ones like Bakerloo.

Would 'Readwood' or 'Abbing' do?

'Padwharf' has a certain je ne sais quoi about it, n'est-ce pas?

Bakerloo was coined to denote the line's link between Baker Street and Waterloo.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I was happy with crossrail as a name but the Elizabeth line fits in better with the other underground line names.

Crossrail 2 to be Charles line?!

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I was happy with crossrail as a name but the Elizabeth line fits in better with the other underground line names.

Not the first railway line to be named after an Elizabeth.
Austria's Westbahn was officially Kaiserin Elisabeth-bahn, after Franz Joseph's wife ("Sisi"). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Railway_(Austria)
Most of Austria's main lines were named after the imperial family (eg Kaiser Ferdinands-Nordbahn, Kronprinz Rudolf-Bahn etc).

Thing is it will be operate as national rail and not underground so!

Tfl will operate it, hence they get to give it a name in their branding.
Elizabeth was also the name of one of the TBMs.

Thameslink then to become the Diana line?

Thameslink will remain a DfT operation, so no royal names I think.

Deepgreen

Established Member
You don't say, we would never have guessed. :D:D

I know, but the poster stated that the name was almost meaningless - it isn't. Line naming has moved away from geography of late to monarchy-based names - Victoria, Jubilee and Elizabeth. Mind you, the Jubilee's origin name was to have been Fleet, after the subterranean river of that name which it followed to some extent.

Last edited:

The Ham

Established Member
Crossrail 2 to be Charles line?!

Possibly not, partly as there is a chance that William will may be the next king and partly as there is a chance that he will change his name (neither reign of the previous two King Charles have been overly smooth - Civil War and the plague & Great Fire of London).

HowardGWR

Established Member
I know, but the poster stated that the name was almost meaningless - it isn't. Line naming has moved away from geography of late to monarchy-based names - Victoria, Jubilee and Elizabeth. Mind you, the Jubilee's origin name was to have been Fleet, after the subterranean river of that name which it followed to some extent.

The poster was, er, me. Now do you get it?:D Suggest reading back.

If I didn't know that, why would I have suggested PadWharf? :D

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I'm only opposed to the name on simple ideological republican grounds. Stepping away from that it's an appropriate, sensible choice that is consistent with, as said, the last three Underground Lines.

For a separate thread: Line names for the DLR and Overground lines, as they're all systems.

furnessvale

Established Member
I'm only opposed to the name on simple ideological republican grounds. Stepping away from that it's an appropriate, sensible choice that is consistent with, as said, the last three Underground Lines.

For a separate thread: Line names for the DLR and Overground lines, as they're all systems.

Strangely enough, although I am a monarchist, I too am against the name.

A bit too sycophantic for my taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.