• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crossrail central section speed limit

Status
Not open for further replies.

straller

Hello, just a quick question.

Would anyone happen to know the speed limit of the Crossrail central section, especially the tunnels under central London? I've only seen a 90 mph limit mentioned, and only on some sections.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Does a lower speed apply to any non-stopping trains passing the platforms? With the screen doors being so close to the train I think the aerodynamic forces on them at 62mph would be quite severe.

A Challenge

Established Member
I don't think any trains are going to run non-stop through any stations in the core in normal working are they?

AM9

Veteran Member
Does a lower speed apply to any non-stopping trains passing the platforms? With the screen doors being so close to the train I think the aerodynamic forces on them at 62mph would be quite severe.
With no issues of passengers being on the platform edge, would the maximum speed (100kph) almost be that which the first few doors see even if the train was stopping?

TBSchenker

I doubt the brakes are that good to stop a train doing nearly 60mph at the entrance to the platform.

Most probably be 30mph-ish.

pdeaves

Established Member
I would expect platform doors to be designed with appropriate aerodynamic effects in mind, just the same as the doors on the trains would be.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I don't think any trains are going to run non-stop through any stations in the core in normal working are they?
No, but there will be empty stock and engineering trains and it might be necessary to non-stop a particular station if there is a problem there.

Status
Not open for further replies.