• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crossrail Class 345 takes shape!

Status
Not open for further replies.

railfanatic

The Driving car of the new Class 345 rolling stock at the Bombardier Manufacturing facility in Derby. At almost 24m, these cars feel SO long! Enjoy this sneak preview ;)
fliu06.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

phoenixcronin

Interesting, why is the cab door a swing open instead of a more usual sliding door? Surely a sliding would look better and match the saloon doors

TH172341

Looks excellent! Can't wait to see it fully completed and outside for the first . The Swing door is certainly for reliability and ease of use, similar to the Hitachi one.

Last edited:

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
I saw a clip on youtube once of a LO Turbostar, the driver couldn't get the traction interlock, turned out it was down to the cab door! Will they get tested and commissioned at Old Dalby before being tested on the Crossrail route once all track is layed, and all wiring (traction and signals) is in place?

railfanatic

I saw a clip on youtube once of a LO Turbostar, the driver couldn't get the traction interlock, turned out it was down to the cab door! Will they get tested and commissioned at Old Dalby before being tested on the Crossrail route once all track is layed, and all wiring (traction and signals) is in place?

Yes, due in Old Dalby sometime in September :)

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Previous EMUs, from class 319 onwards, have had a sliding plug door, probably because an inward swing door would have bumped into the driver's seat. In this one it looks as if the seat is in the sloping part of the cab, which is now necessary to meet the latest standards on energy absorption. So we have effectively reverted to the pre-319 situation of a crew vestibule just behind the cab. First-generation EMUs used an outward swing cab door but that would be considered a safety hazard these days, and also unsuitable for stations with platform screens.

To me the cab door detailing is rather clumsy but the rest of the train looks good.

Last edited:

phoenixcronin

My biggest problem with the cab doors is that the small window has square corners, which don't match either the saloon doors or saloon windows, or even the triangular shaped window ahead of it.

Last edited:

transmanche

Established Member
Isn't that what was in the D Stock prior to their refurbishment? Also in the 1983 Stock?

No, this is the original D78/1983 stock moquette:
5355648514_2d01a90b13_m.jpg

I believe this is the Crossrail moquette:
23902175633_4ebb6115e1_m.jpg

(there is also a slightly redder version to be used for priority seats).

GatwickDepress

Established Member
The exterior looks nice, but I'm not entirely sure the moquette fits with the Crossrail colour scheme and the generally modern look of the train. It looks a bit too... vintage bus-sy, if that makes sense?

Harbornite

Established Member
I believe this is the Crossrail moquette:
23902175633_4ebb6115e1_m.jpg

(there is also a slightly redder version to be used for priority seats).

Hmmm, it already looks outdated if you ask me, I prefer the London Midland one for instance.

I wonder why they didn't go for a more purple-based colour scheme to match the branding and livery?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
That's the TfL Rail moquette, the Crossrail moquette is purple.

Oh, good.

Last edited:

jon0844

Veteran Member
I am not a fan of these seat designs, and I am not sure why we want new trains to look old and dated from the get-go.

I accept some people will like them and many more won't give a stuff either way.

Established Member
I quite like the new moquette personally, although I agree that a more purple based colour scheme would have been better.

JaJaWa

Established Member
This is the final Elizabeth line / Crossrail moquette, credit IanVisits.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-07-24 at 20.16.51.png
    Screen Shot 2016-07-24 at 20.16.51.png
    903.5 KB · Views: 72
Status
Not open for further replies.