• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crossrail - Construction updates and progress towards opening (now expected 24 May 2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.

davews

When I passed through Abbey Wood last week I noticed the departure boards said a Paddington train would be passing through shortly.... obviously all action stations there and apart from the boarded up staircases and the covered roundel outside it looked all ready to go.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gallafent

Great video demonstrating CBTC in action, especially at 10:30 with two moving trains just a few carriage lengths apart.

Someone buy this man a microphone wind muff! The wind noise!

But yes, a really nice demonstration of the power of Automatic Train Operation.

MotCO

Established Member
Great video demonstrating CBTC in action, especially at 10:30 with two moving trains just a few carriage lengths apart.

What struck me from this video is the steep incline to and from the portal of the tunnel. How steep is it?

kevin_roche

What struck me from this video is the steep incline to and from the portal of the tunnel. How steep is it?
I think the long lens makes it look much steeper than it really is. Also makes the train look shorter.

AM9

Veteran Member
I think the long lens makes it look much steeper than it really is. Also makes the train look shorter.
That's what I was going to say. Bear in mind that a 9-car class 345 is 205m long and even the 8-car 700s are 162m long.
So over a 200m length a 4m difference in the front to back height (I e. the height of the train) would only be a 1:50 gradient.

samulih

Whatever your opinion on these projects is it is nice to see them try to show effort to show normal people about the project and where it stands.

InOban

Established Member
I like presentations which aren't too slick, but they should have spelled out the initials in full at least once.

Mcq

OK - but at 12:56 into the video - the chap says 'behind we've just had a train through' - so possibly with a bit more planning it could have been captured.

Snow1964

Established Member
The August digital newsletter is now available

It is showing the central station handovers as Paddington and Whitechapel in August (Paddington has just happened), Abbey Wood as September, Canary Wharf as October, and Bond Street as 2022 (no month specified)

Under surface stations it says Hayes & Harlington and Southall will be ready for passengers later in the summer. However for Ilford and Romford it says challenges at both stations are causing pressure on the schedule for completion of their works

Harold Hill

On Moderation
Yes, thanks for the link. It seems we won't be able to ride from the western section to the eastern section without changing trains until May 2023

Acton1991

Do we know whether there will be an increase in service pattern in the west before the core opens?

traji00

And a question for the eastern side: will the bay platform at Ilford be reinstated?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
And a question for the eastern side: will the bay platform at Ilford be reinstated?
There is no potential use for the bay platform at Ilford. If there was, it would not have been removed in the first place.

There is a much more convenient centrally positioned turnback facility at Chadwell Heath.

AM9

Veteran Member
It was specifically removed for Crossrail.
Yes, it was removed because platform 4 had to be extended to accommodate 9-car trains. That meant that the access to the slows was lost because there would not be enough room to slew across from platform 5 to the slows before the parapet on the flyover ramp started.

hwl

Established Member
Do we know whether there will be an increase in service pattern in the west before the core opens?
The Pre-Covid service level was the maximum that Paddington High Level could cope with so reverting to that is the best that will happen. Service level expansion on the western side happens in the timetable change after through running e.g. probably December 2022 unless any goes very wrong

JonathanH

Veteran Member
The Pre-Covid service level was the maximum that Paddington High Level could cope with so reverting to that is the best that will happen. Service level expansion on the western side happens in the timetable change after through running e.g. probably December 2022 unless any goes very wrong
The TfL Rail service level out of Paddington is no different to what it was pre Covid so there is no reversion to happen. (I acknowledge that the Heathrow services were operated by 360s and it should really be 4tph to Heathrow but the Paddington departures are running in full.)

Class 170101

Established Member
There is no potential use for the bay platform at Ilford. If there was, it would not have been removed in the first place.

There is a much more convenient centrally positioned turnback facility at Chadwell Heath.
The disadvantage with the turnback siding is that it is clear of the platforms at Chadwell Heath so the train has to be cleared out before it can enter the centre siding there and this takes time ensuring passengers are off the train, as where as if Ilford could have been kept this would mean it would not need to be checked for passengers before returning in service to London. If they have fallen asleep tough luck.

Yes, it was removed because platform 4 had to be extended to accommodate 9-car trains. That meant that the access to the slows was lost because there would not be enough room to slew across from platform 5 to the slows before the parapet on the flyover ramp started.

However as alluded here the London bound facing pointwork connection had to be removed to allow Platform 4 at Ilford to be extended. It was a shame the track couldn't have been kept for storage of track machines and plant etc so as to reduce pressure on track access points which are a constraint in terms of possession activity.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
The disadvantage with the turnback siding is that it is clear of the platforms at Chadwell Heath so the train has to be cleared out before it can enter the centre siding there and this takes time ensuring passengers are off the train, as where as if Ilford could have been kept this would mean it would not need to be checked for passengers before returning in service to London. If they have fallen asleep tough luck.
I don't think there is any suggestion that it will be used in normal operation. Part of its role appears to be to get units off Ilford depot with reduced conflict.

Class 170101

Established Member
I don't think there is any suggestion that it will be used in normal operation. Part of its role appears to be to get units off Ilford depot with reduced conflict.
Also the sidings for Crossrail Class 345s at Ilford Depot all face towards Shenfield.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
It was a shame the track couldn't have been kept for storage of track machines and plant etc so as to reduce pressure on track access points which are a constraint in terms of possession activity.

That’s not a good place to store on track plant - for security and maintenance purposes. They are kept at Romford - by the maintenance depot - for a reason.

traji00

Thanks for your responses.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
The Thames Valley locals are still very reduced. Only hourly most of the time and few peak extras anymore.
GWR ones are reduced to enable other services to run with longer formations. A full service is operating on TfL Rail

Status
Not open for further replies.