• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crossrail - Construction updates and progress towards opening (now expected 24 May 2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Not at all - it just means that it is sufficiently well progressed to be able to handover the oversite development space. Could be lots in the station that needs finishing.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hwl

Established Member
Not at all - it just means that it is sufficiently well progressed to be able to handover the oversize development space. Could be lots in the station that needs finishing.
Agreed, Crossrail will be open before the station works have finished let alone the oversite.

InOban

Established Member
But it is progress. I am well aware that much more needs to be completed, but some parts must have been completed in order to allow the developers access to their area.

hwl

Established Member
But it is progress. I am well aware that much more needs to be completed, but some parts must have been completed in order to allow the developers access to their area.
The largest factor in the delay to the start of over site development might be TfL/Crossrail wanting to get the original station contractors well and truly off site so they couldn't find any more excuses solutions then carefully assess what actually needed doing ans seeing if it was sensbile to allow oversite to start given the potential to slow down their own work (Bond Street is now being done in house).

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
I believe Crossrail are going to attempt 16tph from Monday through the central section - is this correct?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I believe Crossrail are going to attempt 16tph from Monday through the central section - is this correct?
Nothing showing in RTT to support that - at least the moves off the depot would need to be in - timetabled workings in the tunnel appear to resume on Wednesday morning, then Thursday and Friday still on a 12tph / every five minutes basis.

InOban

Established Member
I'm sure that the answer is somewhere earlier but did they update the software during this blockade?

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Nothing showing in RTT to support that - at least the moves off the depot would need to be in - timetabled workings in the tunnel appear to resume on Wednesday morning, then Thursday and Friday still on a 12tph / every five minutes basis.

Perhaps it wasn't Monday but I did hear it was meant to be next week. Maybe its been pushed back further.

iphone76

Not as far as we have been told. Plus the driver diagrams only support 12 trains per hour until at least December. (At least where we are based)

I'm sure that the answer is somewhere earlier but did they update the software during this blockade?
They sure did and they are testing it at the moment I'm lead to believe.

kevin_roche

No sign of anything this morning on signalmaps or RTT.

For later in the week RTT is showing a timetable of 4tph for Wednesday Morning and 12tph all day on Thursday. I haven't looked further out than that.

iphone76

No sign of anything this morning on signalmaps or RTT.

For later in the week RTT is showing a timetable of 4tph for Wednesday Morning and 12tph all day on Thursday. I haven't looked further out than that.
I'm not sure the testing shows up on signal maps, but drivers from Abbey Wood and Plumstead were booked onto testing jobs over the weekend and I'm told it went ahead. There is nothing today or tomorrow though as you say.

kevin_roche

I'm not sure the testing shows up on signal maps, but drivers from Abbey Wood and Plumstead were booked onto testing jobs over the weekend and I'm told it went ahead. There is nothing today or tomorrow though as you say.
It has in the past, but not always. I didn't look over the weekend, but there is nothing on RTT for Saturday or Sunday.

JN114

Established Member
It has in the past, but not always. I didn't look over the weekend, but there is nothing on RTT for Saturday or Sunday.

There were definitely trains running off Old Oak Common into the COS at points over the weekend; 5Uxx headcodes – I couldn't tell you if they were scheduled or what units were involved though.

InOban

Established Member
For some reason I can't post the link, but ianvisits has posted his summary of Mark Wilds monthly report to the assembly. Perhaps another member can post a link to his report.

rebmcr

Established Member

mrmartin

Does anyone know if there is going to be 4G coverage in the crossrail tunnels when service starts?

rebmcr

Established Member
Does anyone know if there is going to be 4G coverage in the crossrail tunnels when service starts?
I think I recall seeing that service there is fitted from the beginning, while reading coverage of the traditional Underground getting it installed.

kevin_roche

Last edited:

hwl

Established Member
is it done in-house by the manufacturer?
Yes.
This situation is slightly more complicated by there also being signalling software on board as well as the train software.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I read somewhere that there was a plan to install new software on the trains too. Does anyone have any insight as to when that will be happening?
Is this another separate software upgrade to the report in post #520 of it happening during the recent blockade?

kevin_roche

Who writes the software for new trains, is it done in-house by the manufacturer?

I believe so, but there is actually a number of manufacturers involved.

The train itself: Was Bombardier Transportation but on 29 January 2021 was bought by Alstom.

The ETCS signalling system on the train was provided by Bombardier Transportation but now Alstom.

The CBTC system in the COS has a specific transmission module which is made by Siemens.

For the AWS/TPWS system the specific transmission module which is made by Mors Smitt.

Which bit need updating? I have no real idea. Maybe all of it.

Is this another separate software upgrade to the report in post #520 of it happening during the recent blockade?
Yes, The above was the trackside I believe as involved upgrades in the Romford Route Control Centre.

reddragon

Established Member
Interview with Mark Wild

“We are a short number of weeks away from entering trial operations. The earliest we can get there is towards the end of November,” he says.

“Our window of getting there could take us to the New Year, but obviously we’ll try to get there as early as possible.

“When we get to trial operations, things can go wrong. But it’s like the dress rehearsal of a play: you fix the problem on the day and you’ll be ready for the opening night. That period takes about three months, so that is where we derive our opening window, which is between February and June next year.”

coppercapped

Established Member
I have been dipping into the Signal Maps pages for Crossrail ( https://signalmaps.co.uk/#crossrail:671 ) from time to time over the last few days. These random observations suggest that trains are being operated at a regular five minute headway for many hours continuously during the day and that timekeeping is within a minute or so of the schedule. Operations seem to wind down at about 20.00 and the trains all scuttle off to OOC for a well earned rest!

If these random observations are indicative of the whole picture, then it would seem that the chances of Crossrail opening to the public earlier rather than later next year have improved considerably.

Status
Not open for further replies.