• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crossrail interchanges with other lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

grandgarrande

Interchange times for Woolwich to Woolwich Arsenal: 2.5 - 3.5 mins (not likely to be an important interchange).

Interchange for Canary Wharf Crossrail and Canary Wharf Jubilee Line 6 - 7 mins via the east exit and past the Waitrose. DLR around 4 minutes, (I don't know which stairs are worse; West India Quay or Pontoon Dock?)

Liverpool Street (mainline) to Liverpool street (Crossrail), its best to allocate a good 7 - 8 mins as the platforms are quite far from Liverpool Street proper (Under Finsbury Circus, nearer to Moorgate) with two banks of escalators (at the Underground entrance) or three at the dedicated entrance. Also, it looks like northern line customers are going to have to use the lift or go upstairs to the new Moorgate Ticket Hall and down from there as the interchange staircase is three-wide.

Paddington (Crossrail) to Paddington (mainline) platforms 1-10 are quite easy to reach approx 2-3 mins, platforms 11-16 approx. 4-5 minutes using the platform 1 bridge otherwise, take Bishops Bridge Road.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

subk2010

According to Oysterfares.com, Poplar, West India Quay, Canary Wharf(Both DLR and LU) got Out station interchange with Elizabeth Line.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Interchange times for Woolwich to Woolwich Arsenal: 2.5 - 3.5 mins (not likely to be an important interchange).

Interchange for Canary Wharf Crossrail and Canary Wharf Jubilee Line 6 - 7 mins via the east exit and past the Waitrose. DLR around 4 minutes, (I don't know which stairs are worse; West India Quay or Pontoon Dock?)

Liverpool Street (mainline) to Liverpool street (Crossrail), its best to allocate a good 7 - 8 mins as the platforms are quite far from Liverpool Street proper (Under Finsbury Circus, nearer to Moorgate) with two banks of escalators (at the Underground entrance) or three at the dedicated entrance. Also, it looks like northern line customers are going to have to use the lift or go upstairs to the new Moorgate Ticket Hall and down from there as the interchange staircase is three-wide.

Paddington (Crossrail) to Paddington (mainline) platforms 1-10 are quite easy to reach approx 2-3 mins, platforms 11-16 approx. 4-5 minutes using the platform 1 bridge otherwise, take Bishops Bridge Road.

Officially about 15 minutes for both Paddington and Liverpool Street (I think 13 & 17), but that has to account for dear old grandma with a walking stick. I'd imagine most people could do it in under 10 mins, quite easily

TryHard

Hi there (long time lurker)!

I was having a look at the quickest way (surface to surface) from jubilee line to crossrail canary wharf and think it's going through the shopping centre. (ie from Jubilee entrance down past the clocks and straight (through a few doors) to crossrail.

Am I right? And if so, when do the doors close at night as I must admit I have never been in CW past 7ish and will need to find the quickest way to get to to CW elizabeth at aroun 9:30ishpm most weekdays.

Last edited:

Established Member
That strikes me as optimistic, especially if that’s platform to platform. You have the cross the busy A206 at pedestrian lights which can easily hold you up.

grandgarrande

Regarding Woolwich, it is going to be a very unlikely interchange anyways as most people going westwards to The City or Canary Wharf would staty on their respective mode.

SargeNpton

Established Member
National Rail Enquiries, and other accredited journey planners, will be giving a 14 minute train to train connection time between the two Woolwich stations.

Lifelong

How about Farringdon? (I'm assuming given layout that optimally you take the front of the train for Farringdon TL and tube, and the back for Barbican...and if you get it wrong, you're adding about 5 minutes?!)

Established Member
How about Farringdon? (I'm assuming given layout that optimally you take the front of the train for Farringdon TL and tube, and the back for Barbican...and if you get it wrong, you're adding about 5 minutes?!)
There will be many trial and error journeys for the next few weeks while passengers get used to the sheer size of the Crossrail trains and stations and work out what’s best for them.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Regarding Woolwich, it is going to be a very unlikely interchange anyways as most people going westwards to The City or Canary Wharf would staty on their respective mode.
....or change at Abbey Wood instead.

If coming from inner SE London and wanting to get to East London, you can change to the DLR at either Lewisham or Greenwich for the Isle of Dogs. There is also a direct link from New Cross to Whitechapel

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
....or change at Abbey Wood instead.

If coming from inner SE London and wanting to get to East London, you can change to the DLR at either Lewisham or Greenwich for the Isle of Dogs. There is also a direct link from New Cross to Whitechapel
Published numbers in the Kent route study suggests they expect up to 50% of westbound passengers will change at Abbey Wood.

Basil Jet

On Moderation
The TfL Journey Planner for Woolwich Dockyard to TCR (tomorrow) says change at Abbey Wood! Surely the Woolwich change would be quicker unless you're locomotively challenged.

ScotGG

Established Member
From Woolwich Dockyard probably better to take a train to Charing Cross and walk/tube/bus?

Snow1964

Established Member
Hi there (long time lurker)!

I was having a look at the quickest way (surface to surface) from jubilee line to crossrail canary wharf and think it's going through the shopping centre. (ie from Jubilee entrance down past the clocks and straight (through a few doors) to crossrail.

Am I right? And if so, when do the doors close at night as I must admit I have never been in CW past 7ish and will need to find the quickest way to get to to CW elizabeth at aroun 9:30ishpm most weekdays.

The escalators the other end (East end) of Jubilee line station should provide a slightly quicker (and less wet route if raining). Take the exit marked Churchill. Do not go up to the surface (so not Montgomery Square exit), but instead walk along Canada Walk, (at shopping centre level, not street level above), straight past front of Waitrose and takes you into a section now called Crossrail walk (which opened few years ago), towards Crossrail place in North Dock. There are then escalators down into station. This route is closed very late evening.

eddp

Out of interest I just tried to plan a route from Woolwich to Old Street on the NR Journey Planner to see if it would route me via Liverpool Street/Moorgate and instead it is suggesting to change at Farringdon, take the Circle line back two stops and then Great Northern from Moorgate to Old Street. Is there any particular reason for this?

As an aside, my initial thought was whether for a journey from a station on the GEML to a station served from Moorgate the journey planner would suggest to walk along the Crossrail platform from Liverpool Street to Moorgate, but that kept routing me via Stratford and Highbury & Islington.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Out of interest I just tried to plan a route from Woolwich to Old Street on the NR Journey Planner to see if it would route me via Liverpool Street/Moorgate and instead it is suggesting to change at Farringdon, take the Circle line back two stops and then Great Northern from Moorgate to Old Street. Is there any particular reason for this?

As an aside, my initial thought was whether for a journey from a station on the GEML to a station served from Moorgate the journey planner would suggest to walk along the Crossrail platform from Liverpool Street to Moorgate, but that kept routing me via Stratford and Highbury & Islington.
Makes you wonder if the journey planners even know about the secondary exit. It might just think Liverpool St NR, LU & EL is the only interchange?

hkstudent

Established Member
Another strange piece of advice is that Paddington to City Airport would advise people to change to Woolwich - Woolwich Arsenal instead of Canary Wharf EL - Poplar DLR.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Another strange piece of advice is that Paddington to City Airport would advise people to change to Woolwich - Woolwich Arsenal instead of Canary Wharf EL - Poplar DLR.
It may be the relative interchange times being quicker, or a shorter walk, but it definitely seems weird to cross the Thames twice…

hkstudent

Established Member
It may be the relative interchange times being quicker, or a shorter walk, but it definitely seems weird to cross the Thames twice…
It is known that the interchange time of all the journey planners is subject to change over the period of time of usage and feedback from customers.
But I guess it may be best to add some constraints in the journey planner to avoid passengers going beyond zones and going back, or crossing the Thames twice (except Jubilee Line case, of course)

And interesting to point out: Paddington EL - City Airport would be charged a z1-3 fare. I wonder if the via Woolwich may cause fare dispute there.

bicbasher

Established Member
I did the Overground to Elizabeth line platforms at Whitechapel in 2 mins. I'd give it 3-4 mins if you're at the other end of the Lizzie platforms.

tomuk

Established Member
What relevance has crossing the Thames got? If you stayed on the Jubilee from Westminster to Stratford you cross the Thames four times.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
What relevance has crossing the Thames got? If you stayed on the Jubilee from Westminster to Stratford you cross the Thames four times.
Yes but in that case you’d be making steady progress along the Jubilee line. The scenario described here is going straight past City Airport to the other side of the river, then coming back in the opposite direction following a change between stations involving a walk. That walk is hardly any difference to what you could have already have more logically done at Canary Wharf.

tomuk

Established Member
Yes but in that case you’d be making steady progress along the Jubilee line. The scenario described here is going straight past City Airport to the other side of the river, then coming back in the opposite direction following a change between stations involving a walk. That walk is hardly any difference to what you could have already have more logically done at Canary Wharf.
What is wrong with looping back as suggested? If the Elizabeth Line is faster than the DLR then you would want to spend as little time as possible on the DLR. This is just the same as travelling on the motorway, the motorway route may be longer but quicker than an equivalent shorter A-road route.

mmh

Established Member
Makes you wonder if the journey planners even know about the secondary exit. It might just think Liverpool St NR, LU & EL is the only interchange?
I doubt any journey planner knows anything about the exits at any station. They'll just work on the standard interchange time, surely?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I doubt any journey planner knows anything about the exits at any station. They'll just work on the standard interchange time, surely?
I’m referring to there being two completely separate ways out of Liverpool St EL, one of them at Moorgate. Trying to think why the scenario in post #18 came about. So unless properly re-programmed a journey planner might still believe they are separate stations quarter of a mile apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.