• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crossrail livery and interior revealed by TfL

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaJaWa

Established Member
TfL have shown off the final Crossrail train design today.
3EqnBCd.jpeg

TfL photos on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/tflpress/sets/72157660623297477
TfL video on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhMLV4adGIQ
Article from London Reconnections: http://www.londonreconnections.com/2015/purple-train-a-look-at-crossrails-rolling-stock/
Article on Railway Gazette:http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/single-view/view/crossrail-train-design-revealed.html

Edit: Also confirmed are Wi-Fi and 4G available on the trains and platforms throughout the route.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D365

Veteran Member
The Aventra headlights are certainly given a more sympathetic look without the harsh yellows of the LO Class 710 rendering.

fgwrich

Established Member
A Surprisingly less TfL based livery than perhaps expected, although still not the most inspiring of liveries. I wonder how long the lack of yellow panel will last for before that grey area is changed to yellow too?

D365

Veteran Member
I wonder how long the lack of yellow panel will last for before that grey area is changed to yellow too?

Why do you wonder? Last I heard, the regulations were definitely going to be relaxed next year.

JaJaWa

Established Member
The Aventra headlights are certainly given a more sympathetic look without the harsh yellows of the LO Class 710 rendering.

I wonder if the new London Overground trains will also gain a similar livery.

AM9

Veteran Member
A Surprisingly less TfL based livery than perhaps expected, although still not the most inspiring of liveries. I wonder how long the lack of yellow panel will last for before that grey area is changed to yellow too?

Surely, yellow ends (at least 50% of the area) is mandated for mainline use.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
As my username would suggest I cant see Pics, I assume 3 plus 2 seating with all the style and sofistication of a budget Ironing Bord? Would be nice to see E-Leather but doubt it somehow. Any plugs or USB sockets?

JaJaWa

Established Member
As my username would suggest I cant see Pics, I assume 3 plus 2 seating with all the style and sofistication of a budget Ironing Bord? Would be nice to see E-Leather but doubt it somehow. Any plugs or USB sockets?

The train is composed of a combination of alternating sections of transverse 2 plus 2 seating, and longitudinal seating. They have rather strangely used large amounts of dark grey on the train livery, and the interior panelling. The seats are covered in standard TfL moquette in a horizontally striped purple and light purple pattern. There are no plug sockets or USB ports, but 4G phone services and Wi-Fi will be available throughout Crossrail.

332 > 444

So i see these have been made to look like the 710s (front end) rather than the pre mock up pictures, nice seating layout, i wish they reconsider the layout on the GOBLIN and Watford line....

NSEFAN

Established Member
AM9 said:
I understand that this is shall no longer be required due to improvements in headlights. I will try to find a link to this information.

Edit: I believe this is it, from this document
RSSB GM/RT2131 said:
Historically, RGS GM/RT2483 required the front of trains to include a yellow warning
panel, in order to increase their visibility to members of the public and trackside staff.
The LOC & PAS TSI does not have a requirement for the colour of the front of trains,
thereby giving the transport operator a choice. The presence of a head lamp meeting
the requirements of the TSI is considered to give a sufficient visual warning that a train
is approaching; whilst the combination of that head lamp along with the marker lamp
layout is considered to make an approaching train identifiable as a train.

Last edited:

jon0844

Veteran Member
I wonder which TOC will be first to get rid of it to make a unit look nicer? To me, it will look weird but to many others, they won't even notice (or sort of notice something but not be sure what).

I just hope the new 345s will be reliable over everything else. Seems they'll have a better visual warning when the doors are closing, as I always wondered about the half assed setup on the 09 stock.

AM9

Veteran Member
So i see these have been made to look like the 710s (front end) rather than the pre mock up pictures, nice seating layout, i wish they reconsider the layout on the GOBLIN and Watford line....

Crossrail will run services over distances up to 60 miles per trip whereas LO to watford is just 20 miles. Also, Crossrail trains are much longer, have greater distances between stops and journeys are likely to be much longer. LO has common interchangeable stock that needs to handle very large peak loads where passengers make short journeys. It's a case of horses for courses.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I wonder which TOC will be first to get rid of it to make a unit look nicer? To me, it will look weird but to many others, they won't even notice (or sort of notice something but not be sure what).

I'd put money on Virgin on Pendolinos if the Lamps comply and the SETs will be provided without the yellow.

We could then have train fronts actually painted a sort of dusty colour with authentic squashed flies! :)

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Personally I think trains look very odd without a yellow front, suppose I'll get used to it though. That purple and blue looks more than a bit similar to a certain provincial TOC to me...

Established Member
So the front now looks more like the images that were shown for the London Overground Aventra's, I wonder if the seating will actually look like that or be the ironing board style as per the 387's.

They also appear to have plug doors which also seems to be borne out on body shell pictures rather than sliding doors.

So you get a train to Heathrow with plug doors and windows you can see out of, but if your going to Bristol you get a train with sliding doors and a few seats where you see nothing. Don't you just love modern train design and procurement.

Given Thameslink is using sliders I'm a little surprised Crossrail is not, ok its a different customer but Tfl Electrostars are sliders maybe Bombardier are not offering sliders on Aventra, it will be interesting to see what the Overground Aventra's have.

Last edited:

fgwrich

Established Member
So the front now looks more like the images that were shown for the London Overground Aventra's, I wonder if the seating will actually look like that or be the ironing board style as per the 387's.

They also appear to have plug doors which also seems to be borne out on body shell pictures rather than sliding doors.

So you get a train to Heathrow with plug doors and windows you can see out of, but if your going to Bristol you get a train with sliding doors and a few seats where you see nothing. Don't you just love modern train design and procurement.

I did wonder how the plug door / PED setup will work actually given the small but extra space needed for those doors to open out wards - the Jubilee line doesn't have this problem as the doors are built into runners on the outside of the train. I'm also guessing that's why the doors are rather Networker in appearance as they are flatter than the curved Star series. Of course the biggest irony though is that Hitachi say plug doors are slower, so put sliding doors in the IEP and Bombardier put plug doors in what is to be one of the biggest inter-urban transit services. All this while Thameslink does have sliding doors...

Interior wise, apart from the palet of Grey Grey and purple, the interior does appear to have come from the same as the S stock bin - panel, ceiling panels etc all look near identical. But this is just the computerised mock up.

Last edited:

D365

Veteran Member
I did wonder how the plug door / PED setup will work actually given the small but extra space needed for those doors to open out wards - the Jubilee line doesn't have this problem as the doors are built into runners on the outside of the train. I'm also guessing that's why the doors are rather Networker in appearance as they are flatter than the curved Star series. Of course the biggest irony though is that Hitachi say plug doors are slower, so put sliding doors in the IEP and Bombardier put plug doors in what is to be one of the biggest inter-urban transit services. All this while Thameslink does have sliding doors...

Have you seen this video yet? The images posted originally are basically screencaps from this release.

I don't know what it is, but Networkers and Electrostars seem to make their plug doors work well. Glad we're not losing them off the GN just yet...

Blamethrower

Why the need for that diagonal stripe? Just doesn't fit with the lines of the cab.

Also, the interior, looks to me like the best configuration for such stock. Makes me wonder why Thameslink isn't adopting the same principle. At least the seats on these look wide enough to fit a normal sized human. Thameslink are much further down the delivery line so seeing as so many people have complained about the lack of armrests, seat back tables and wide enough seats, will they be modified?

How can 2 seemingly identical railway routes have their trains and interiors designed so differently?

physics34

Established Member
can't wait for more nice hard uncomfortable seating!! (yes yes yes i know, i do go on!!)
Why the need for that diagonal stripe? Just doesn't fit with the lines of the cab.

Also, the interior, looks to me like the best configuration for such stock. Makes me wonder why Thameslink isn't adopting the same principle. At least the seats on these look wide enough to fit a normal sized human. Thameslink are much further down the delivery line so seeing as so many people have complained about the lack of armrests, seat back tables and wide enough seats, will they be modified?

How can 2 seemingly identical railway routes have their trains and interiors designed so differently?

sideways seating really is horrible, especially for a longer journey than 10 minutes. You are forced to look at other people or the floor! I wouldnt fancy travelling sideways from Brighton to Luton airport.

Sadly, the white doors ruin the lines of the whole livery anyway regardless of the diagonal stripe. Another regular gripe of mine.

Alfie1014

Well they aren't identical, Crossrail whilst now extended to Reading is more urban with most passengers undertaking relatively short journeys, whereas Thameslink passengers are likely to be travelling much further, resulting in the provision of toilets, first class etc..

That said I'm no fan of what I've seen of the interior of class 700s, though they are hindered by being much longer in gestation and passenger expectations have moved on in the mean time.

In respect of plug doors there was some resistance from some manufacturers to provided them on trains achieving speeds above 100mph a while back, that said we have now got them on the 350s and 387s.

Phil.

Established Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again. LUL and just about every European railway manages without them.

Headlights dear boy, headlights.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Heathrow Express never wanted yellow ends on the 332s, and even a lot of promo material surrounding the recent refurbishment shows the units without yellow ends. Though I don't know whether the headlights fitted to the units meet the requirement that will allow HEx to peel away the yellow stickers at the earliest opportunity. If they do, then I'm sure that HEx will be at the head of the queue.

Last edited:

petegunstone

I note that bicycles are excluded from the list of 'multi-use spaces' on the 'New Crossrail trains' movie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhMLV4adGIQ

I found this somewhat concerning as an infrequent visitor to London for whom TfL bike hire would be significantly less suitable as an alternative to bringing my own bike.

I was relieved to read an item on the London Cycling Campaign website (dated November 2013) suggesting that carriage of bicycles will (at least) be maintained on existing routes assumed into the Crossrail network as per the current arrangements (not during peak hours). http://lcc.org.uk/discussions/carriage-of-non-folding-bikes-on-crossrail-a-breakthrough

If carriage is to be maintained into Paddington & Liverpool Street, then why not all the way through the system? Is such an increase of loading anticipated in the section between these traditional termini?

Rick1984

Slightly suprised by livery as I was expecting a purple version of LU/LO liveries

TheNewNo2

I quite like it, it looks very swish.

Regarding the yelllow 50% rule, how do steam locomotives get away with not having that?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

It's more the white end that I think looks a bit rubbish. Replace that with the deep purple and I think it would work. Though I similarly think that they should just use a purple variant of the standard TfL livery which works quite well - unless they are planning to change that across the network, of course.
Regarding the yelllow 50% rule, how do steam locomotives get away with not having that?

Grandfather rights, I expect. If it was built without one, and is liveried as it was when it was not required, it can continue not to have one.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. LUL and just about every European railway manages without them.

Headlights dear boy, headlights.

Though DB have similarly visible red ends with reflective/white bars (and very basic, low-intensity headlights - on some stock they are simple tungsten bulbs in a strange vertical orientation).

I agree that the modern high-intensity headlight renders them unnecessary, though - you can see the light far in advance of seeing the actual cab end.
In respect of plug doors there was some resistance from some manufacturers to provided them on trains achieving speeds above 100mph a while back, that said we have now got them on the 350s and 387s.

"Some manufacturers" = "Hitachi". Everything built for the UK since the Class 158 (and a few units before that, too) has had plug doors, except where the operator (TfL or Southeastern, I think) has specified otherwise.

Last edited:

RobShipway

Established Member
The class 345 Adventra's look like they could be quite good trains, if the trains are like the video and look to be nicely painted.

D365

Veteran Member
The class 345 Adventra's look like they could be quite good trains, if the trains are like the video and look to be nicely painted.

Any train can look 'quite good' if you paint it nicely. Can't see how that relates to it being 'good' though, in regards to performance.

100andthirty

Note, the Thameslink sliding doors were determined by the supplier, not the specifier/purchaser. Similarly for Crossrail, sliding plug doors were not specified. Usually, thrains are specified in terms of door width and opening/closing times.

Status
Not open for further replies.