• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crossrail name revealed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pemma

Veteran Member
There is a very interesting video on the Crown Estate's (net contributor to HMRC even after paying the Civil List and subsequently the Sovereign Support Grant) and how the Royalty set it up and what would happen to it if the Government were to ever renege on funding the Royal Family (i.e. the crown estates would revert back to the ownership of the Royal Family). I can't find it just at the moment.

Could the Royals afford to retain the estates if they have to pay taxes instead of receiving tax payer support? The Tatton Estate near me used to belong to one of the Lord Chancellors but finished up being passed to the National Trust. Many other estates have had similar fates.

Then there is the issue of where to house the President (bearing in mind you've just lost all the Royal households) and what savings there maybe compared with having a monarchy (i.e. you would still need to provide them with protection).

Downing Street? If we have a President we won't need a PM and Downing Street already has a security presence and 24/7 policing when the PM is at Downing St.

Then, even if the UK got rid of the Royal Family there are a lot of places that they would still be head of state for and so they would still need protecting whilst they were using any of their properties in the UK (much in the same way as the police have to provide a certain level of protection to diplomats).

If they were to remain head of state for other countries wouldn't said other countries be inviting Royals to come and live in the countries they remain head of state for?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

anti-pacer

Established Member
If it needs to be called something other than Crossrail, called it the...

Thames Line

At least that loosely follows the Thames for much of its journey, unlike Thameslink that crosses the river for 1/4 mile of its roughly 100 mile length.

Rename Thameslink the...

CapitalCountry Line

Rail.Fan

I think in years to come once more CrossRail lines come. CrossRail will just join the London Underground system. We currently have 2 types of undergrounds Deep Level and Sub surface. So i suppose CrossRail is a 3rd type and eventually it will just count as the London Underground. Elizabeth Line sounds good. "This is an Elizabeth line train to Reading." Sounds fine.

jon0844

Veteran Member
If it needs to be called something other than Crossrail, called it the...

Thames Line

At least that loosely follows the Thames for much of its journey, unlike Thameslink that crosses the river for 1/4 mile of its roughly 100 mile length.

Rename Thameslink the...

CapitalCountry Line

No chance of confusing people who have used Thameslink for years (even if it hasn't always been called that, as it is known by the operator rather than a route) which is now, almost, the name of a totally different line!

alxndr

Established Member
Perhaps it's because it's new and will take some getting used to, but something doesn't flow for me. I think it's the "el" sound, because 'Lizabeth Line doesn't rankle me in the same way. "Elizabeth" is just a bit of a mouthful to say, more so than any other four syllable tube name.

I don't really see the need for another line named after her considering there's already the Jubilee anyway. That's not even taking my personal opinions about the monarchy into consideration, there's just more to London/the route than simply the monarch.

I'm not sure I agree with it seeming like part of the Underground either, or the strange roundel, there's enough confusion over what's owned by who on the railways as a whole as it is, we don't need to be adding more to that.

JamesRowden

Established Member
"This is an Elizabeth line train to Reading." Sounds fine.

Except that the passenger might presume that it stops at all stations like all Underground services do except for some Metropolitan line trains. I think that it would need to actually say something like "This is an Elizabeth Line Route 1A train to Reading" where the number indicates the route and stopping pattern west of the core and the letter indicates the route east of the core. A diagram in the trains and at the stations could show the route and stopping pattern of each variation on each side of the core.

Rail.Fan

Personally for CrossRail 1 I would prefer it named the Paddington line since it sounds sharp and loud like many other line names are. But I still really like Elizabeth Line (Should have done CrossRail 2 as Elizabeth Line) CrossRail 2 is probably going to be called the Alexandra Line since it goes Alexandra Palace or it will named after something to do with Henry VIII since it goes to Hampton court. (Maybe named after 1 of his wives)

Last edited:

Established Member
Except that the passenger might presume that it stops at all stations like all Underground services do except for some Metropolitan line trains. I think that it would need to actually say something like "This is an Elizabeth Line Route 1A train to Reading" where the number indicates the route and stopping pattern west of the core and the letter indicates the route east of the core. A diagram in the trains and at the stations could show the route and stopping pattern of each variation on each side of the core.
Why not 'This is an all stations/Semi-Fast/Express Elizabeth line train to Reading'? Works fine on the met!

Rail.Fan

I can see people getting CrossCountry and CrossRail mixed up at Reading and ending up in Sheffield instead of Shenfield.

JamesRowden

Established Member
Why not 'This is an all stations/Semi-Fast/Express Elizabeth line train to Reading'? Works fine on the met!

Limits the number of variations possible. 37 miles from Paddington to Reading is a long way and the tracks will be shared with freight services, Thames Valley services between Reading and Heathrow, Thames Valley services to Paddington and during at least some evenings/weekends, intercity services.

Also, some services might be all stations on one part and semi-fast another part between Paddington and Reading with other services doing the opposite.

Last edited:
Perhaps it's because it's new and will take some getting used to, but something doesn't flow for me. I think it's the "el" sound, because 'Lizabeth Line doesn't rankle me in the same way. "Elizabeth" is just a bit of a mouthful to say, more so than any other four syllable tube name.
that.

Agreed Elizabeth is too much of a mouth full - Someone will come up with a nickname which will stick.
Maybe Beth, Bet, or better still take the Bee -Line.

The Ham

Established Member
Could the Royals afford to retain the estates if they have to pay taxes instead of receiving tax payer support? The Tatton Estate near me used to belong to one of the Lord Chancellors but finished up being passed to the National Trust. Many other estates have had similar fates.

A lot of estates passed to the NT due to death duties, given these have changed in more recent time and subsequent change in the status of the Royal household wouldn't be subject to future taxes.

Also the Crown Estates currently effectively pay 85% tax on their profits, the Queen could do better than that just by paying normal taxes.

Downing Street? If we have a President we won't need a PM and Downing Street already has a security presence and 24/7 policing when the PM is at Downing St.

Many countries have PM's and presidents.

If they were to remain head of state for other countries wouldn't said other countries be inviting Royals to come and live in the countries they remain head of state for?

They may live in another country, but they would still have property here that they would come and visit. I can see them going and living somewhere like the Channel Islands, Isle of Man or one of the Caribbean Islands where there are very low tax rates but still visiting the UK.

D1009

Established Member
I suppose we will have to wait and see when the service actually gets running how it will work in practice. However from what I have read so far; in particular with Network Rail's involvement and the rules and procedures which will govern the operation of the service, it will be quite different from a Metro service, which LU/DLR are.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

No other "line" has a roundel. Is the wish to make it clear that it is a distinctive service or to make it more integrated with the rest of the transport system? It isn't consistent with any other service currently operated, if the intention is to change the current standards for all other TfL operated services then that has not been made clear.
Isn't it a clue that the roundel has a different colour, in the same way that the Overground roundel is a different colour from the Underground one?

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
No other "line" has a roundel. Is the wish to make it clear that it is a distinctive service or to make it more integrated with the rest of the transport system? It isn't consistent with any other service currently operated, if the intention is to change the current standards for all other TfL operated services then that has not been made clear.

TFL Rail does...

sciisfun

what about the north London railways franchise (later known as silverlink?) incorporated into TFL as the Elizabeth line will be, and that has a few orange roundels around!
Ahh, Ark royal beat me to it, was on the last page, I swear! :oops:

Last edited:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I can see people getting CrossCountry and CrossRail mixed up at Reading and ending up in Sheffield instead of Shenfield.

You are, of course, referring to the Sheffield lying about three miles to the west of Penzance:)

southern442

Established Member
Do you honestly think it'll cost over £300,000 to call it the "Elizabeth" line?

Yes. From this article in 2007, when some people suggested renaming the Bakerloo Line's Edgware Road station to Church Street market:

The cost of making the changes is substantial as it is not just the physical signs in the station that have to be changed but also maps, leaflets, related publications and pre-recorded announcements.

I would say that they have probably already recorded the 'Crossrail' phrase into the announcement systems, so now Anne, Rodger, LU announcers, and most likely Phil, Celia and a few others will have to be paid to re-record the phrase as 'Elizabeth Line.' The information systems at all the stations will have to be updated as well.

I doubt that any maps have been made yet, but all the Crossrail leaflets being published will now have to be re-published, the whole website will have to be updated, and they will now have to pay someone to re-design the signposts at Paddington, Bond Street, Tottenham Court Road, Liverpool Street, Whitechapel, Canary Wharf, and Stratford, and possibly a few other stations as well, plus pay workers to take the old signs down (before they have even been used - laughably disorganized) and to put the new signs up.

Not only this - but imagine the confusion! Is it a tube line? Yes, it has a name and colour! No, it goes to Reading, 35 miles out into Berkshire! And frequently when tourists get confused and ask people for help, people will often identify the line by it's colour, especially if the tourists cannot speak much English. This creates a huge problem, especially at Liverpool Street and Farringdon, when someone might think, to get to Baker Street for example, to 'take the purple line', but now there are two!

The management at TfL, who have never been that bright (referring to the LO embarrassments of 'Waltamstow Central' 'Theobolds Grove' and missing out a stop on the map, can't remember what one it was though) are now nothing short of Stupid.

I definitely do not trust these people with running London's suburban services!

jon0844

Veteran Member
Voice artists add new words and phrases regularly and it's very easy to do updates these days. No ROM chips that need replacing. Heck, you could probably do the update over the air if you want.

And I don't think many people really care if it's a 'proper' deep level underground tube line, sub-surface, a rail line pretending to be part of TfL or a railway line running within the TfL 'area'.

If it goes on rails, has doors, seats and serves stations in and near London, it's part of a transport network.

Last edited:

Philip C

Whatever we may think of the monarchy the passing of time will bring us, before very long, to "This is a late Elizabeth line train to Reading".

And then, perhaps, we will learn for which, if either, Queen Elizabeth this railway line is named. I rather hope it is the First. This would open scope for such usages as taking "The Bess", on a good day "Gloriana" and leave the door open for Richard Branson and red trains with "The Virgin Line".

In any case Elizabeth I seems the more worthy of recognition. She was a real man! I know which of the two Elizabeths I'd put my money on if it came to a ping-pong match, arm-wrestling or dealing with matters of state and it would be the one who happens to have been born in Greenwich!

jopsuk

Veteran Member
And then, perhaps, we will learn for which, if either, Queen Elizabeth this railway line is named.

It was announced when Brenda was visiting a Crossrail station and the press release was explicit that it is her, referencing her long reign and her 90th birthday.

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Whatever we may think of the monarchy the passing of time will bring us, before very long, to "This is a late Elizabeth line train to Reading".

And then, perhaps, we will learn for which, if either, Queen Elizabeth this railway line is named. I rather hope it is the First. This would open scope for such usages as taking "The Bess", on a good day "Gloriana" and leave the door open for Richard Branson and red trains with "The Virgin Line".

In any case Elizabeth I seems the more worthy of recognition. She was a real man! I know which of the two Elizabeths I'd put my money on if it came to a ping-pong match, arm-wrestling or dealing with matters of state and it would be the one who happens to have been born in Greenwich!

Okay, I'd love to hear that

Philip C

It was announced when Brenda was visiting a Crossrail station and the press release was explicit that it is her, referencing her long reign and her 90th birthday.

Thank you for drawing this to my attention. I do find it all very disrespectful to a real monarch, now long dead.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Doesn't this mean that, assuming she is still extant, the Queen will have to be dragged out for the inauguration?

Status
Not open for further replies.