• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crossrail name revealed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clip

Established Member
The management at TfL, who have never been that bright (referring to the LO embarrassments of 'Waltamstow Central' 'Theobolds Grove' and missing out a stop on the map, can't remember what one it was though) are now nothing short of Stupid.

I definitely do not trust these people with running London's suburban services!

Do you have proof that it was management that made the cock ups with the signage or the printers and then the workers who were putting them up not noticing either?

Getting vinyl wraps for any signage that is already up costs a pittance and as theres so few its really not going to cost more for new signs. You're making out that its going to cost millions when the opposite is very much nearer the truth.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
Eventually there'll be a William Line, Catherine Line, Charlotte Line running into parts of London and the neigbouring counties.

Then again if we remain part of the EU, then you'll have to expect to see the Van Rumpoy Line, Juncker Line, Merkal Line, etc in Connex blue and yellow as no other colour would be permitted because the EU wouldn't allow it.

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Then again if we remain part of the EU, then you'll have to expect to see the Van Rumpoy Line, Juncker Line, Merkal Line, etc in Connex blue and yellow as no other colour would be permitted because the EU wouldn't allow it.

I will vote to stay in the EU if we can have (using a town's nickname) a Van Rumpoy Pompey line

southern442

Established Member
Do you have proof that it was management that made the cock ups with the signage or the printers and then the workers who were putting them up not noticing either?

Should some form of manager not check for errors in the print, or should they be lazy and wait for the company and workers they have paid to put the signs to point it out for them when it's already too late?

Getting vinyl wraps for any signage that is already up costs a pittance and as theres so few its really not going to cost more for new signs. You're making out that its going to cost millions when the opposite is very much nearer the truth.

Sure - printing costs will be low, but there are several of the signs (at least 10-20) at Tottenham Court Road and I assume there are about that amount at all the other stations that are getting refurbished, and they haven't even been used. So they now have to waste money paying a firm for workers at each station to take the old ones down and new ones up.

This was just one reason why the renaming was bad, you also now have to put up signs saying 'Elizabeth Line works' rather than 'Crossrail works'. Aside from wasted money, the whole half-integrated-with-the-tube-half-not thing will be very confusing for some.

Andyjs247

My first reaction on hearing the news on the Elizabeth line was quite negative. But, actually having thought about it some more, I can see it will work. If you're going to make a change then why not do it now? We already know the underground or overground and, while Crossrail is similar, it is also different. It is in reality a hybrid with significant characteristics of both existing under/overground. Plus some unique features. So why not rewrite the rulebook? I'm sure Joe Public will get used to it very quickly.

Thameslink should logically get the similar treatment - perhaps with unique colour roundels and branding when new stock arrives...

jon0844

Veteran Member
Still need to pay people to do it though.
I did assume they would get paid. But they probably have a requirement to come to a studio (or do it at their home studio) and record new phrases every n months anyway.

southern442

Established Member
Thameslink should logically get the similar treatment - perhaps with unique colour roundels and branding when new stock arrives...

1. It's not part of TfL
  2. It would be stupid for it to be part of TfL as it extends far beyond London
  3. It would cost LOADS to rebrand Thameslink. I've talked about extra costs associated with rebranding Crossrail, but to rebrand Thameslink would be a lot of money.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
It is entirely possible the purple roundel will become a symbol of the pseudo RER - with each line only differing in the name in the middle.

You could have purple-white-purple for this line, then next time some other purple-x-purple colour combination. If you can find one that doesn't hurt people's eyes.

NotATrainspott

Established Member
Thameslink also has quite a different role compared to Crossrail. Its job is primarily to get people from the outer reaches of the commuter belt to work every day, rather than transporting people within London. If Thameslink were like Crossrail, then it would only go as far as Luton, Stevenage and Gatwick, not Bedford, Peterborough, Cambridge, Brighton and Ashford. If Thameslink were added to the Tube map it wouldn't include every single station either.

southern442

Established Member
Thameslink also has quite a different role compared to Crossrail. Its job is primarily to get people from the outer reaches of the commuter belt to work every day, rather than transporting people within London. If Thameslink were like Crossrail, then it would only go as far as Luton, Stevenage and Gatwick, not Bedford, Peterborough, Cambridge, Brighton and Ashford. If Thameslink were added to the Tube map it wouldn't include every single station either.

Wasn't that the reason they took it off the map? Because it made it really confusing for people travelling on the line as it didn't show all the stations?

The Ham

Established Member
This was just one reason why the renaming was bad, you also now have to put up signs saying 'Elizabeth Line works' rather than 'Crossrail works'. Aside from wasted money, the whole half-integrated-with-the-tube-half-not thing will be very confusing for some.

Why does it need to change the works site signs? It is a Crossrail construction project building the Elizabeth Line.

When Crossrail 2 is being built it too will be a Crossrail construction project building the (insert name) line, and so on for any future Crossrail projects (including any for other towns and cities).

Clip

Established Member
Should some form of manager not check for errors in the print, or should they be lazy and wait for the company and workers they have paid to put the signs to point it out for them when it's already too late?

Im not sure you understand how the world works - decision is made to change the signage as they have the new franchise so they tell a manager who tells a lackey to change the station signage. They then place an order with the printers who should also have checked. Final viewing will go nowhere near a manager - given that they are not new stations but like for like and available on any rail map

Sure - printing costs will be low, but there are several of the signs (at least 10-20) at Tottenham Court Road and I assume there are about that amount at all the other stations that are getting refurbished, and they haven't even been used. So they now have to waste money paying a firm for workers at each station to take the old ones down and new ones up.

So very few signs then considering how many they are going to have to make for every single station on the route, a very small amount of money which is from the budget from signage anyway. The workers will be contracted anyway if they are not TfL staff and they will be being paid for signage at every other station on the route also so again very minimal costs in the grand scheme of things(this is called the bigger picture)

This was just one reason why the renaming was bad, you also now have to put up signs saying 'Elizabeth Line works' rather than 'Crossrail works'. Aside from wasted money, the whole half-integrated-with-the-tube-half-not thing will be very confusing for some

So the renaming was bad because you have to change about 20 sign posts? Amazing conclusion there Sherlock.

Who said it is half and half? You do understand that the vast majority of people call all of it the underground and its only enthusiasts like yourself and others on here who care to separate them don't you? So they will, as I mentioned before think it is part of it given how much of it actually goes, erm underground.

But hey, less sense more wibble. As you were
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
No, never. Always the full name.

Always the vic

The Ham

Established Member
One other thought, what is to stop TfL having the following networks:

- Underground (with various line names)
- Crossrail (with various line names)
- Overground (with various line names)

in doing so there will be Underground Northern Line services and Crossrail Elizabeth Line services.

That way the Crossrail name is retained but each line is easily identifiable in the same way that the Underground is a collective name for all the lines which makes it up.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Was the Queen issued with a special Freedom Pass for her visit to Bond Street and, if so, was the usual photo ID supplanted by an oil painting?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

in doing so there will be Underground Northern Line services and Crossrail Elizabeth Line services.

That way the Crossrail name is retained but each line is easily identifiable in the same way that the Underground is a collective name for all the lines which makes it up.

No, not nearly confusing enough.:lol:

southern442

Established Member
Im not sure you understand how the world works - decision is made to change the signage as they have the new franchise so they tell a manager who tells a lackey to change the station signage. They then place an order with the printers who should also have checked. Final viewing will go nowhere near a manager - given that they are not new stations but like for like and available on any rail map

Whether I understand or not, the fact that nobody senior checks them at all is stupid in itself. TfL are the only rail operator that ever seems to make these mistakes, and they have just made another one with the '''''Elizabeth Line''''' new map.

Who said it is half and half? You do understand that the vast majority of people call all of it the underground and its only enthusiasts like yourself and others on here who care to separate them don't you? So they will, as I mentioned before think it is part of it given how much of it actually goes, erm underground.

Ok, if you are right, many people can only separate lines by colour. So what happens if someone is at Farringdon, Liverpool Street or potentially any central London tube station, and someone tells an unknowing traveller to take 'the purple line'. What one do they take?

But hey, less sense more wibble. As you were

[SARCASM]
As a staunch Corbyn supporter, I also don't like the new name because I hate the Queen.
[/SARCASM]

Always the vic

I have never heard anyone call it the 'Vic' but I can imagine some people abbreviating 'Elizabeth'.

The Ham

Established Member
I'm waiting for Dublin to announce that they are going to replicate the Elizabeth Line only having it slightly more slender!

SaveECRewards

I was going to suggest this and you beat me to it ;)

If someone is getting the tube they often just say they're taking the tube unless needing to know the line name is important.

It makes sense to keep the network as Crossrail and the line as Elizabeth line as the first line of a new network that plans to grow in the future.

This means any existing signs don't need to be changed (it's possible councils have ordered signs to point to these new stations already).

I can't see people saying "I'm off to the Elizabeth line station" it's either be the train station or tube station (possibly railway station if they care).

That would then set the precedent for LO to get line names too and stop with the need to put all those ex-Greater Anglia routes on the map for the core part of the network (ELL, NLL, WLL)

Status
Not open for further replies.