• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crossrail testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

itfcfan

There hasn't been much information available on testing of the Crossrail core. I thought I'd start a thread so it would be easier to keep track of progress...

With services in the core due to run in 6 months time (December 20192018) there isn't much time remaining to test all the stations, signalling, train compatibility, etc.

A video was produced in May showing test running between Abbey Wood and Canary Wharf:
http://www.crossrail.co.uk/news/art...tion-images-highlight-elizabeth-line-progress

Recently, in the "Class 345 progress" thread it was mentioned that test running had occurred all the way between Westbourne Park and Abbey Wood. However, I haven't seen any other news on this - if other people have more details it'd be great to have the information shared.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dstock7080

Established Member
With services in the core due to run in 6 months time (December 2019) there isn't much time remaining to test all the stations, signalling, train compatibility, etc.
6 months time is December 2018

From internal rumblings, only Abbey Wood-Canary Wharf are likely to open in December.

ijmad

Established Member

From internal rumblings, only Abbey Wood-Canary Wharf are likely to open in December.

That'd be a national scandal. How far back will the rest of the Core get pushed?

matt_world2004

Established Member
There hasn't been much information available on testing of the Crossrail core. I thought I'd start a thread so it would be easier to keep track of progress...

With services in the core due to run in 6 months time (December 2019) there isn't much time remaining to test all the stations, signalling, train compatibility, etc.

A video was produced in May showing test running between Abbey Wood and Canary Wharf:
http://www.crossrail.co.uk/news/art...tion-images-highlight-elizabeth-line-progress

Recently, in the "Class 345 progress" thread it was mentioned that test running had occurred all the way between Westbourne Park and Abbey Wood. However, I haven't seen any other news on this - if other people have more details it'd be great to have the information shared.

They have moved the possession markers to the edge of the gwml so its possible.

Cesarcollie

I was on a tour of the new Farringdon Station yesterday. They all still seem to be saying December. Mind you they also said the train software is fine and the signalling software is fine. Just that the two aren't getting along too well with each other at the moment......!!

That is worrying, I commute few days a week Bishops Stortford to Canary Wharf, will save me 15m each way every day, can’t wait for it to start. Please keep us updated as much as you can, tks

MarlowDonkey

When they first open, is the plan to terminate every train from the east at Paddington? That may seem a bit odd but it at least avoids the problem of drivers on the lines west from Paddington not being cleared to run through the central tunnel and out onto the GE lines. Thameslink seem to have to swop drivers at Finsbury Park.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
When they first open, is the plan to terminate every train from the east at Paddington? That may seem a bit odd but it at least avoids the problem of drivers on the lines west from Paddington not being cleared to run through the central tunnel and out onto the GE lines. Thameslink seem to have to swop drivers at Finsbury Park.
It is planned that initial the services will operate:

Abbey Wood to Paddington Low Level (ie. through the new tunnels)

Shenfield to Liverpool Street High Level (ie. the existing Network Rail station, not going through Whitechapel so operated in the same way as the current TfL Rail eastern section)

Paddington High Level to Heathrow

It is intended that from May 2019 the Shenfield services will then run through the tunnel to Paddington Low Level, and then December 2019 the through service will commence linking both ends at Paddington. There will also be additional peak hour Crossrail trains on the eastern section that will go into the Mainline station at Liverpool St.

I believe this separation however is due to differences in the signalling system (and other infrastructure) rather than any crewing reasons. It wasn’t intended for so many Thameslink services to have a crew change at Finsbury Park; this is just a result of the (well-publicised) problems they have been having with crew training.

plcd1

Sadly I am not surprised to hear this. I asked a slightly "hedged" question to one of the officials at Farringdon Stn about what was likely to be ready. The reply was carefully phrased but it rather hinted at not everywhere opening in December and possibly a limited service in operation. The challenge now is to actually keep up the pressure on the construction / fitting out / system integration teams because as soon as any official hint of a missed deadline emerges the contractors will go "ahh we can take the pressure off now" which is the last thing anyone needs.

Class 170101

Established Member

I don't think this will be the last we will hear on this subject somehow. However how can you run a shuttle like that with no access to maintenance facilities?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I don't think this will be the last we will hear on this subject somehow. However how can you run a shuttle like that with no access to maintenance facilities?
No passenger service due to station issues wouldn’t necessarily mean ECS moves to Old Oak or Ilford cannot happen by then. There’s also Crossrail stabling at Plumstead.

Class 170101

Established Member
No passenger service due to station issues wouldn’t necessarily mean ECS moves to Old Oak or Ilford cannot happen by then. There’s also Crossrail stabling at Plumstead.

Was aware about the stabling at Plumstead. Has the wires been livened up yet or are Class 345s still being dragged through the tunnels?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Was aware about the stabling at Plumstead. Has the wires been livened up yet or are Class 345s still being dragged through the tunnels?
There had been some discussions in the other already existing threads about 345 testing in the tunnels, before this relatively new thread was started.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The 345s have been based out of Ilford for the interim period. Presumably they could continue to do this if there was a problem accessing Old Oak.

tridentalx

The Crossrail stabling at Plumstead doesn't get introduced until Stage 4 - May 2019 so any 345s will come from Old Oak, Ilford or Gidea Park.

rebmcr

Established Member
The Crossrail stabling at Plumstead doesn't get introduced until Stage 4 - May 2019 so any 345s will come from Old Oak, Ilford or Gidea Park.

They're stabling in the platforms at Abbey Wood for the time being.

DenmarkRail

Who will be at the open event at white chapel this weekend? I’m guessing they might recruited some testers

plcd1

Who will be at the open event at white chapel this weekend? I’m guessing they might recruited some testers

I wish. Checked my E mails 90 mins too late - everything booked up for Whitechapel and TCR. Not v happy but these visits are now getting extremely popular. Still, in theory, it's only 5 months and 6 days until it opens anyway.

rm345

I wish. Checked my E mails 90 mins too late - everything booked up for Whitechapel and TCR.

Apparently these sold out in 15-20 minutes. It also seems like Woolwich might not be ready in time for a tour (but was assured that won’t affect being ready for Dec...)

E759

Testers were mentioned at the Farringdon event but I thought that was for station evacuation?

Apparently these sold out in 15-20 minutes. It also seems like Woolwich might not be ready in time for a tour (but was assured that won’t affect being ready for Dec...)

I dithered so missed out as already got too many trips in my diary but Woolwich I'd definitely want to do!

slick

Looking at Driver Diagrams dummy runs are due to begin on the 29th July Between Abbey Wood - Westbourne Park... Interesting timings. As to whether it will start then is another story...But the diagramming has been done...with Jobs for Old Oak, Plumstead, Ilford and Gidea Park.

itfcfan

Looking at Driver Diagrams dummy runs are due to begin on the 29th July Between Abbey Wood - Westbourne Park... Interesting timings. As to whether it will start then is another story...But the diagramming has been done...with Jobs for Old Oak, Plumstead, Ilford and Gidea Park.

Can you share more details on these timings?

theking

I don't see the point of the tours 99% of the time they're still building sites.

Would have made sense to give tours when the station is actually complete.

jellybaby

I don't see the point of the tours 99% of the time they're still building sites.

Would have made sense to give tours when the station is actually complete.
You can tour the public bits of a complete station any time you like!

I went on the tour of the Crossrail Thames tunnel and the interesting bit was talking to the people that had been working on the project. It almost didn't matter where we were as the tunnel ring segments quickly all look the same.

reddragon

Established Member
I was told by a very informed source that the chance of Crossrail being 'ready' to open in December was zero.

This was due to the number of issues at stations and lack of compliance with design, mainly caused by a huge TfL re-org.

BUT . . . .

It will 'open' in some form, maybe on a weekday basis, short days or whatever so that the Contractors do not try it on, with stations being managed by the Contractor until ready to be handed over as compliant to TfL

The team delivering this are of the highest calibre, so I do not doubt we will get it open 'on time' one way or another!

InOban

Established Member
I'm sure that the contractors will do their level best to pass the blame onto TfL. Variations, and additional work, or work delayed by a third party - I can see the accountants salivating. That's the contractor's profit.

absolutelymilk

Established Member
Are the issues on the station platforms themselves or just the rest of the stations? If the latter then couldn't they just not call at those stations and run a full service in terms of time.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
No-one remembers the Jubilee Line Extension opening late these days. Or the fact that it opened in stages with Stratford - North Greenwich being the first stage and Westminster Station not opening until some time later, with trains running through non-stop, if I remember correctly.

It will be a bit embarrassing if Crossrail doesn't open on time but in a year or two all will be forgotten.

Status
Not open for further replies.