• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crossrail - Western stations reconstruction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Anyone know if new West Ealing station has toilets it would help greatly
on travels.
Just checked the planning drawings, there’s one public universal toilet shown, inside the gateline on the right, there’s also another for staff.

Last edited:

itfcfan

Cheers that would be handy when I'm working nearby.
When I was there today it looked like it had a radar lock. I don't know if it's only available if you have a key? I assume given the station is due to be staffed from first to last train it should be possible to gain entry.

matt_world2004

Established Member
When I was there today it looked like it had a radar lock. I don't know if it's only available if you have a key? I assume given the station is due to be staffed from first to last train it should be possible to gain entry.
Thanks for the info, I carry a radar key around as that is a common occurrence

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Is there a long-term plan to remove the old stairs, or convert them into an emergency escape route?
The online Planning drawings do show them retained for emergency escape at Acton, I’d already mentioned this a bit earlier in the conversation.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Ealing Broadway has a new TfL sign at the new entrance and the patio outside the station is being laid out - its all still behind hoardings and netting so the photo I took was rubbish but will try and get another soon. Also it looks like the cross-platform bridge is almost ready to open.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Ealing Broadway getting ready to open up!

Attachments

• EB0E65EB-92C6-428B-AD34-1C425C8CF616.jpeg
    EB0E65EB-92C6-428B-AD34-1C425C8CF616.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 134
  • 11D4703A-4E98-43DE-AD39-53688CCD677B.jpeg
    11D4703A-4E98-43DE-AD39-53688CCD677B.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 132
  • 7F48F014-BF62-49BF-8122-B5A2E0821385.jpeg
    7F48F014-BF62-49BF-8122-B5A2E0821385.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 136

matt_world2004

Established Member
That looks wonderful. I wonder what will happen to the old station entrance?

Would it be used as a fire escape?
The concept art shows a coffee shop where the new entrance is so I guess retail. Which is coincidentally what happened to the old old entrance of Ealing Broadway in the 1970s.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Will that ticket office ever be used?
Unless you know something that isn’t obviously in the public domain; it’s still open:
Weekdays 05:35-09:35
Saturday 05:35-09:35

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Some first hand pictures I took of Ealing Broadway this morning.

Attachments

• CD5B588A-3FA8-48E0-8470-2D61A389B434.jpeg
    CD5B588A-3FA8-48E0-8470-2D61A389B434.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 95
  • 6DA0DD61-5E94-4852-A62E-1DCC5B33E5F7.jpeg
    6DA0DD61-5E94-4852-A62E-1DCC5B33E5F7.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 95

BrianW

Established Member
Some first hand pictures I took of Ealing Broadway this morning.
It's a long while since I was at Ealing Broadway. I just about remember the old District Line entrance and a French Renaissance looking ex-GWR station set back a bit pre Tower Block (was it BBC?). Quite a transformation- more like an anonymous airport lookalike now?
Maybe hoardingless will look better- hoping so.

matt_world2004

Established Member
It's a long while since I was at Ealing Broadway. I just about remember the old District Line entrance and a French Renaissance looking ex-GWR station set back a bit pre Tower Block (was it BBC?). Quite a transformation- more like an anonymous airport lookalike now?
Maybe hoardingless will look better- hoping so.
The 1970s style office block entrance was not great it was tiny often had homeless /beggars outside and was congested

I think the signage could be improved instead of showing tfl rail and gwr as seperate lines they would have been better having a purple and green line until reading with the green line extending to didcot parkway. This is how the Chiltern services are shown on the met line diagrams

Last edited:

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
The 1970s style office block entrance was not great it was tiny often had homeless /beggars outside and was congested

I think the signage could be improved instead of showing tfl rail and gwr as seperate lines they would have been better having a purple and green line until reading with the green line extending to didcot parkway. This is how the Chiltern services are shown on the met line diagrams

It still does have all sorts outside the station - they've often been huddled up against the hoardings until it opens. The full entrance still isn't completely open - it's only a small part round to the left hand side as you approach so on first glance coming from the centre you'd be forgiven for thinking it was all as normal.

matt_world2004

Established Member
It still does have all sorts outside the station - they've often been huddled up against the hoardings until it opens. The full entrance still isn't completely open - it's only a small part round to the left hand side as you approach so on first glance coming from the centre you'd be forgiven for thinking it was all as normal.
I'm hoping the large glass frontage will give passengers the option of keeping clear from the beggars. Who can be quite aggressive outside the station

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
I'm hoping the large glass frontage will give passengers the option of keeping clear from the beggars. Who can be quite aggressive outside the station

Indeed. I mean I do feel sorry for some of them, but no doubt the shiny new entrance which is more inviting and a broader public space will dissuade some from that type of behaviour. More likely it will just move elsewhere in town.

matt_world2004

Established Member
See where the small video screen timetable display is is there a plan to have a larger timetable display that covers the whole gateline (it's shown in the concept art )

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
It would also be good if they eventually incorporate some better Underground information before you reach the platforms.

BrianW

Established Member
See where the small video screen timetable display is is there a plan to have a larger timetable display that covers the whole gateline (it's shown in the concept art )
It would also be good if they eventually incorporate some better Underground information before you reach the platforms.
'Better signage and info screens' it says! Is someone having a laugh? I could hardly see that display screen let alone read anything off it. Maybe it's what was in the contract documents way back at the start. or a 'saving' along the way?
I guess I would also need to know to change at West Ealing or Slough or Taplow .. for wherever, and which if any trains stop at Acton (Main Line) (or Acton Main Line) etc.
Looking forward to those quaint BR 'double arrow' thingees getting a GBR makeover.
Hoping those rather old District Railway roundels haven't gone in the quest for corporate image?

matt_world2004

Established Member
'Better signage and info screens' it says! Is someone having a laugh? I could hardly see that display screen let alone read anything off it. Maybe it's what was in the contract documents way back at the start. or a 'saving' along the way?
I guess I would also need to know to change at West Ealing or Slough or Taplow .. for wherever, and which if any trains stop at Acton (Main Line) (or Acton Main Line) etc.
Looking forward to those quaint BR 'double arrow' thingees getting a GBR makeover.
Hoping those rather old District Railway roundels haven't gone in the quest for corporate image?
The roundel will survive and is still there the district platforms are out of scope for modernization

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers

To be fair its no worse than the previous CIS screen above the gateline!

Status
Not open for further replies.