• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crossrail - Western stations reconstruction

Status
Not open for further replies.

itfcfan

I live in the Ealing / Hanwell area and today I cycled past Hanwell station. I was impressed with the refurbishment of this station, having last seen the outside of the station while works were in progress in 2019. I believe the refurbishment was completed in the summer, so it's been a little while now.

The station is clean and generally looking well cared for (long may it continue!). There are lifts to both platforms which are in use from ground level. The southern entrance (re-opened a couple of years ago) has been polished up too. The TfL Rail / Crossrail branding looks neat around the station - the metal signs to platforms looked especially good (I don't know if this design style is being used on any of the other western Crossrail stations?).

I took a quick video in case anyone is interested in what it looks like now:

Also some interesting photos on Twitter from the programme manager responsible for the step-free access programme here:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

itfcfan

I cycled past Acton Main Line this afternoon and saw that the new station building has opened.

acton_main_line_new_station_open_20210316_1508.png

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
I cycled past Acton Main Line this afternoon and saw that the new station building has opened.

View attachment 92532
Quicker than Ealing Broadway's new entrance which although you can see inside, still looks like a real mess. You don't happen to know if the new overbridge is open though yet at Acton?

itfcfan

Quicker than Ealing Broadway's new entrance which although you can see inside, still looks like a real mess. You don't happen to know if the new overbridge is open though yet at Acton?
I'm pretty sure the new footbridge is open at Acton as part of this new entrance. On Twitter someone posted photos of frames being constructed ready to close off the old access stairs from the main road (I didn't catch whether this access has been closed up already or not):

matt_world2004

Established Member
They are occasionally using the new entrance at Ealing Broadway overnight when the main tickethall is blocked for construction work . A person has to touch out on the barrier in the old ticket hall and then walk through the new building site.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I'm pretty sure the new footbridge is open at Acton as part of this new entrance. On Twitter someone posted photos of frames being constructed ready to close off the old access stairs from the main road (I didn't catch whether this access has been closed up already or not):
That’ll probably be a temporary hoarding because the plans show the stairs are retained as the secondary escape. I’d expect the hoarding to be replaced with some sort of a push to open steel gate?

itfcfan

That’ll probably be a temporary hoarding because the plans show the stairs are retained as the secondary escape. I’d expect the hoarding to be replaced with some sort of a push to open steel gate?
I didn't know that.

Do you know if the same is happening at West Ealing? One of the builders working on the station mentioned the old station building was due to be demolished after the new station opened, so I took that to mean the current footbridge is closing too...

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I didn't know that.

Do you know if the same is happening at West Ealing? One of the builders working on the station mentioned the old station building was due to be demolished after the new station opened, so I took that to mean the current footbridge is closing too...
Sorry I don’t know, I‘ll look for the plans if I get time later...

matt_world2004

Established Member
I didn't know that.

I'm surprised network rail or tfl didn't think to convert it into a coffee shop or other rental opportunity that would allow the emergency access to be retained and money to be made.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I didn't know that.

Just been through a couple of different planning applications for West Ealing from 2015 and 2017, and there’s nothing explicitly shown about the old building. But I‘d expect some sort of emergency exit, if only for the island platform, will still be needed.

Acton1991

I wonder when the roundel platform signage will begin appearing like on the eastern section? I’ve travelled through Acton Main Line a few times, it looks very slick but not 100% finished.

matt_world2004

Established Member
It seems the barriers have been removed from the tunnel zone at Paddington there is a yellow barrier with "Rail for London infrastructure " written on it between the GWML and tunnel tracks.

itfcfan

West Ealing station now has the contractor-branded screens outside (like Acton Main Line did just before it opened) and half a dozen cleaners were visible across different sides of the station today doing a deep clean. At a guess I'd say either there is a site visit tomorrow or the station is close to opening to the public. The pavement looks a bit messy, but I think this will be the responsibility of Ealing Council (they renovated most of the area 12~18 months ago, but I think they'll need to come back again to sort out the area previously inaccessible due to station works).
west_ealing_station_20210321.jpg

Backroom_boy

I try not to be one of those people who say - "Why don't they* do X..." but why havent 'they' extended the platform awnings at Ealing Broadway? Seems a bit of missed opportunity after such a massive reconstruction elsewhere.

*Always unspecified

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
I try not to be one of those people who say - "Why don't they* do X..." but why havent 'they' extended the platform awnings at Ealing Broadway? Seems a bit of missed opportunity after such a massive reconstruction elsewhere.

*Always unspecified

Do you mean the canopies? They are building additional shelters along the platforms. I imagine the answer is "cost" otherwise.

Backroom_boy

Do you mean the canopies? They are building additional shelters along the platforms. I imagine the answer is "cost" otherwise.
I wouldnt have thought it was just expense as they do seem to be spending a fair bit of money but leaving quite a few gaps in overhead cover for passengers

zwk500

Veteran Member
I wouldnt have thought it was just expense as they do seem to be spending a fair bit of money but leaving quite a few gaps in overhead cover for passengers
I suspect a cantilevered Canopy requires more substantial foundations than a self-contained shelter. Cost, feasibility and/or time could well have been factors in that decision.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers

The platform shelters will be much much cheaper than extending the canopies from the main building. Not to mention on Platform 4 you would conflict with the Central Line operations and on Platform 3 the waiting room (although currently shut) is right in front of the stairs anyway.

*NEW POST*

I noticed this outside Ealing Broadway yesterday although I’ll take Spring to mean May 31st!

Attachments

• C13372A0-15C6-474A-98E7-6F5F706BEE62.jpeg
    C13372A0-15C6-474A-98E7-6F5F706BEE62.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 52
Last edited:

Trailfinder

There are due to be canopies on platforms 2, 3 and 4 at Ealing Broadway. See plans on EBC planning. Unless they are no longer being done.

The old waiting room on 2/3 is due to be demolished.

What is ridiculous is the massive canopy outside the station which serves no purpose.

matt_world2004

Established Member
There are due to be canopies on platforms 2, 3 and 4 at Ealing Broadway. See plans on EBC planning. Unless they are no longer being done.

The old waiting room on 2/3 is due to be demolished.

What is ridiculous is the massive canopy outside the station which serves no purpose.
They are going to pedestrianised that area I think so it is going to be a waiting area for nearby buses and for people to shop in the tenants of the station.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
They are going to pedestrianised that area I think so it is going to be a waiting area for nearby buses and for people to shop in the tenants of the station.

Yes the area outside is planned to be transformed - they've taken down the hoarding down now which had the "mock-up" and I think there were likely to be a designated smoking area and some more signage / digital information too.

edit: it’s still there was just obscured by contractor railings.

Last edited:

matt_world2004

Established Member
Interestingly the crossrail website shows platform 9 at Ealing Broadway not being step free despite a ramp already being available from platform 9-8.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Interesting that the ticket office opens out onto the street.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers

The old stairs are barriered off on the platform with a more substantial hoarding at the top on Horn Lane. Seeing as how the new building has barriers, I presume it's to reduce fare evasion.

Status
Not open for further replies.