• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crossrail. What can you see?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clip

Established Member
I have noticed that they have laid rail down by Prince Regent DLR station. I take it this must be for gauging?

*Couldn't find another thread relevant

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NickBucks

Apologies for my ignorance on this but will they still be using steel rails in the tunnel or has technology moved on to allow for another type of material ? I guess with the glut of cheap steel in the world there is no cheaper alternative ?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Apologies for my ignorance on this but will they still be using steel rails in the tunnel or has technology moved on to allow for another type of material ? I guess with the glut of cheap steel in the world there is no cheaper alternative ?

I don't believe any railway in the world uses rails of any material other than steel, except perhaps for miniature railways where I've seen something that looks like aluminium. There are various steel alloys used, some of which are more suitable for areas of higher wear for instance.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
The new SouthEastern platforms at Abbey Wood now appear to be complete, and Westbound and Eastbound trains are now using the new platforms. That means the footbridge bridge across the tracks that leads to what used to be the old SouthEastern down platform is now closed to the public. I guess that means we'll see work starting on converting the old Down platform into CrossRail platforms very soon.

Last edited:

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Remodelled layout at Shenfield , new (sort of - there was one there many years ago) turnback siding at Chadwell Heath , depot alterations at Ilford.

Freight diveunder at Acton.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Except it's for DfT employees only... :roll:

Thanks! AlterEgo has also just drawn my attention to the face. I thought when posting it was available to all, but clearly not - so I've deleted my post about it.

Last edited:

itfcfan

For anyone who is interested, here are a couple of views of the Royal Oak portal taken recently (26th May).

crossrail_royaloakportal_20170526_1a.jpg

crossrail_royaloakportal_20170526_2a.jpg

Last edited:

itfcfan

For anyone who is interested, here are a couple of views of the Royal Oak portal taken recently (26th May).

attachment.php

I went to the same view point yesterday and the previous tracks have been removed. New (presumably permanent) track is being laid, starting from the tunnel - it currently only extends a few metres out of the tunnel. For the most part, the rest of the work site has no track laid currently.

plymothian

You could always wander round Tottenham Court Road station and spot all the signs they're going to have to change after they've already been installed!

rd749249

The Up Electric at Stratford London End Jct will shortly be re-routed to the south of the portal entrance.

nlogax

Established Member
From the infrastructure update vid at Custom House. These look like portal structures seen on HS1 or the French side of the tunnel, not Series (x) kit as per F&F or others. Are they used elsewhere in the UK?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-09-15 at 10.10.08.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-15 at 10.10.08.png
    399.3 KB · Views: 168

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
How long will it probably take them to get the OLE up and to a point where it can be energised?

pacenotes

I went to the same view point yesterday and the previous tracks have been removed. New (presumably permanent) track is being laid, starting from the tunnel - it currently only extends a few metres out of the tunnel. For the most part, the rest of the work site has no track laid currently.

I keep seeing them move metre by metre very slowly every day.

Does anyone know how the track will end up here? It looks like its splitting into a 4 track. Is there going to be a siding under Royal oak?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I keep seeing them move metre by metre very slowly every day.

Does anyone know how the track will end up here? It looks like its splitting into a 4 track. Is there going to be a siding under Royal oak?

Westbourne Park Crossrail turnback sidings (and emergency platforms) used for reversing about half the service, will be between the Crossrail up and down lines, so they don't cause flat crossing conflicts for those trains going to/from the western leg.

Not sure exactly where or how they'll look on the ground, but it will definitely need some kind of a "fan out" and crossovers via some length of four track layout.

Last edited:

D365

Veteran Member
Not sure exactly where or how they'll look on the ground, but it will definitely need some kind of a "fan out" and crossovers via some length of four track layout.

I've got a track diagram PDF saved somewhere, but this could well have changed as it's not very recent.

matt_world2004

Established Member
There looks to some sort of train shed just after ooc depot which appears new so I am guessing its for crossrail

There is also a new train shed at ooc at the other end when looking at the depot from the tracks

Ronnie268

I don't know if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but the up electrics on the Great Eastern have now been diverted around Pudding Mill Lane portal, so you get a good view of the tunnel from TfL Rail travelling from Stratford to Liverpool St.

Dstock7080

Established Member
OHLE Pudding Mill Lane- east of Whitechapel, Stepney Green junction-Abbey Wood is due to be energised from 1 October.
Phase 2, including Paddington, Bond Street, Tottenham Ct Road, Farringdon, Liverpool St, Whitechapel (station) is planned for February 2018.

Last edited:

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
I've been informed (by a Greenwich councillor) that the actual date for opening the new Abbey Wood station is 23 October. And I see one of the local newspapers is claiming the same date. If that's correct then there are just 9 days to go!

Last edited:

itfcfan

View attachment 33204
View attachment 33205

I went back to the same point above the Royal Oak portal today - a lot of the permanent track has been laid now, the points and connection to the mainline (now separated by temporary barriers) is starting to take place and many of the electrification masts are installed.

The final track layout is also starting to become clearer, with two lines on the left/South appearing to head towards the mainline and a single line on the right/North heading towards the reversing siding.

Here are some photos:

crossrail_royaloakportal_20171017_1a.jpg

crossrail_royaloakportal_20171017_2a.jpg

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I think the single line on the north side of the formation (RH in second image) will be the up Crossrail. Drawings previously shown online have the reversing sidings between the running lines. To achieve the frequencies east of the reversing sidings I expect that they really have to be in the middle.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Confirmed that the new Abbey Wood station will be opening this Sunday, 22 October! They are handing out leaflets about it at the station.

The lifts outside the station won't be operational yet though, which presumably means that step-free access requires walking to the station along Harrow Manorway.

Trailfinder

Thanks for the photos itfcfan. I videoed the work from an up train on Line 6 last week, but it was difficult to ascertain what was being put on the ground compared to the track layout plan that I had.

From the first photo, it can be seen that the 3 left side tracks will join the 3 right side tracks in photo 2. The fourth track becoming the Down Crossrail, not yet laid, being in the space between the existing line 6 and the laid track. This track will then take over the formation of line 6 until it joins Line 5. Line 6, of course being split in 2 by this work. Line 6 at Westbourne Park, after the connection to the Marcon concrete plant sidings (now also being laid), will become the Up Crossrail (right side line in photo 2). On the Paddington side, Line 6 will rejoin Line 5 shortly after Royal Oak.

Looking into the distance in photo 2, you can see the start of the turnback facility consisting of a single loop, which reconnects with the Down Crossrail prior to it joining Line 5, and 2 sidings.

I assume the work will all be connected up at Christmas, when there is another blockade and Paddington will be shut.

Has the connections at Pudding Mill Lane/Stratford been made yet? As they intend to start testing between Abbey Wood and east of Whitechapel soon, they will need some way of getting a Class 345 into the area, without dragging it round London.

For those interested I found the following PDF by Googleing 'ETCS' and 'CROSSRAIL', which has track and signalling layouts, and an explanation of the transitions between signalling systems.
https://www.networkrailconsulting.c...cbtc-interfaces-crossrail-signalling/download

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
I went through the new Abbey Wood station today. Couple of photos attached. Looks very large and shiny and new inside, and I love the wooden ceiling - very pleasant-looking design. There are also some very nice views from the station building across Abbey Wood - since the building is quite high up. I must admit to being a bit puzzled as to why they opened it today though, as it doesn't really look ready. Lifts not working - even inside the station, and loads of building works still going on outside, and the Felixstowe Road entrance is still sealed off.

One not-so-good thing that struck me is that the windows that overlook the platforms (straight ahead in the first photo) don't actually go up to ceiling level: There's what looks like a permanent gap above them. And since the building is quite high up, the result was that it felt to me very cold and windy inside the entrance.

On the upside, a nice touch is that there are very prominent departure boards outside the station, which hopefully will mean people will easily be able to see train departure info even as they are approaching the station.

20171022_160536-small.jpg
20171022_160616-small.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.