• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crossrail. What can you see?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Derparture boards outside the station are a nice touch, but I wonder if people may block the entrances by instead, standing and waiting at the outside boards for information?

I don't think that's likely. There's a lot of space outside and the boards are positioned some way from the doors. Besides, the station layout is such that even when trains are delayed, people are always going to know which platform their train is going to go from. It's not somewhere like Waterloo or Euston were people won't know which platform to go to until their train comes up on the departure board.

coppercapped

Established Member
I went through the new Abbey Wood station today. Couple of photos attached. Looks very large and shiny and new inside, and I love the wooden ceiling - very pleasant-looking design. There are also some very nice views from the station building across Abbey Wood - since the building is quite high up. I must admit to being a bit puzzled as to why they opened it today though, as it doesn't really look ready. Lifts not working - even inside the station, and loads of building works still going on outside, and the Felixstowe Road entrance is still sealed off.

One not-so-good thing that struck me is that the windows that overlook the platforms (straight ahead in the first photo) don't actually go up to ceiling level: There's what looks like a permanent gap above them. And since the building is quite high up, the result was that it felt to me very cold and windy inside the entrance.

On the upside, a nice touch is that there are very prominent departure boards outside the station, which hopefully will mean people will easily be able to see train departure info even as they are approaching the station.

The rebuilt Reading station has the same feature of being open. The roof of the bridge is open to the elements under the swept-over canopy roofs where they go over the top of the bridge. There are also no side screens beside the escalators/stairs or at the top of them. The result is that the bridge can be windy and chill in winter.

The reason is, I was told at a 'Meet The Manager' session, was that if the space is more enclosed it falls under more restrictive fire safety regulations. It would then need a much more comprehensive set of fire sensors, sprinkler equipment, fire hoses and a more comprehensive set of emergency exits - all this adds up £millions extra. If the roof is open and smoke can easily escape then these extra costs can be avoided for the same level of safety. But added draught...

I suspect that same is true at Abbey Wood.

mrmartin

Station is rising above the ground at Moorgate now also. Seems to be progressing pretty quickly.

itfcfan

I went back to the same point above the Royal Oak portal today - a lot of the permanent track has been laid now, the points and connection to the mainline (now separated by temporary barriers) is starting to take place and many of the electrification masts are installed.

The final track layout is also starting to become clearer, with two lines on the left/South appearing to head towards the mainline and a single line on the right/North heading towards the reversing siding.

Here are some photos:

View attachment 35833

View attachment 35834

Here are some photos of Royal Oak Portal taken on Friday (5th January):

crossrail_royaloakportal_20180105a.jpg

crossrail_royaloakportal_20180105b.jpg

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
There was a Crossrail train parked up at Abbey Wood station this evening. No photos sadly coz it was already dark. Wonder how long it'll be therefore, or what it's doing. Some test-running, presumably?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
There was a Crossrail train parked up at Abbey Wood station this evening. No photos sadly coz it was already dark. Wonder how long it'll be therefore, or what it's doing. Some test-running, presumably?
Testing has been recently mentioned in the Class 345 thread.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Testing has been recently mentioned in the Class 345 thread.

Yep. I think this also answers my question....

RailTechnologyMagazine said:
The first of the Elizabeth Line trains made its debut journey on Crossrail’s new south east London tunnels last night.

With 10 months to go until the line officially launches, the new train represents the first journey to leave Abbey Wood as part of the Elizabeth Line.

The Class 345 EMU travelled from its start point through new tunnels at Plumstead Portal and continued under the Thames heading for Connaught Tunnel before returning to Abbey Wood.

Obviously the train I saw is the one that made the journey.

matt_world2004

Established Member
I went to terminal 5 today it appears there is going to be no gateline in the middle of the platform so people can just walk past the gateline for ticketless travel between the terminals

There is also an Out of service oyster machine similar to the ones they have at Ealing Broadway

This seems a good idea Oyster validators are not prominent enough in a station the size of heathrow.The OCD bit in me would have preferred the look of gatelines going all the way across just with the gate bit removed.

All the gatelines at terminal 5 are wide access gates which is to be expected

TheEdge

Established Member
I went to terminal 5 today it appears there is going to be no gateline in the middle of the platform so people can just walk past the gateline for ticketless travel between the terminals

I thought that was allowed and it was okay to make free trips between the terminals for the purpose of connecting flights...

matt_world2004

Established Member
I thought that was allowed and it was okay to make free trips between the terminals for the purpose of connecting flights...
Yes you can I believe the bit in the middle is to allow exactly this.I think the presence of the gateline though is to remind people to touch in for journeys beyond the heathrow terminal validators would not be conspicous enough in a station that size.I think you are going to get a load of tourists used to continental systems that are going to touch in and not touch out so I hope there is signage advising them of this.

mrmartin

Not exactly sure what it looks like but it would be good to have signage above, saying 'connecting passengers only' and 'Central London' to point them use the right gates. Otherwise I agree there is going to be loads of people not touching in.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
On the Underground customers may still travel free, but must be in possession of a CPC or Oyster card.

I'm not so sure that the purpose of the free transfer is for flight connections, as there are free buses that run "airside" and are the signed methods of flight connections. Of course if someone is in possession of the correct immigration documentation then they can transit that way but I suspect it's more to do with the same reasons why the buses in the area are free; to ease the movement of people around the airport; rather than for customers connecting between flights.

matt_world2004

Established Member
On the Underground customers may still travel free, but must be in possession of a CPC or Oyster card.

I'm not so sure that the purpose of the free transfer is for flight connections, as there are free buses that run "airside" and are the signed methods of flight connections. Of course if someone is in possession of the correct immigration documentation then they can transit that way but I suspect it's more to do with the same reasons why the buses in the area are free; to ease the movement of people around the airport; rather than for customers connecting between flights.
It is also impossible to walk/cycle to the central bus station which can limit peoples options

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Does anyone know what's being built at Abbey Wood station at street level on Wilton Road/Felixstowe Road, next to the bottom entrances to the lifts outside the station?

By the South lifts (Wilton Road) there seem to be some windows and rooms appearing next to the lift, while by the North lifts, it looks like there are a few steps up into something inside the building being built. But I can't figure out what those areas are intended to be. As far as I can tell they don't seem to have any access to the main part of the station.

pacenotes

With TFL rail starting next month to Hayes, when will the longer platforms be introduced?

Also can the class 345s be made smaller or is 9 car trains the only type we will see once they start?

rebmcr

Established Member
With TFL rail starting next month to Hayes, when will the longer platforms be introduced?

Also can the class 345s be made smaller or is 9 car trains the only type we will see once they start?

To begin with, some 7-car sets from the GEML side are planned to cover those services.

Non Multi

Latest London Reconnections article - 'Crossrail: The Western Approach?'
The article highlights the lack of any significant progress with station site rebuilding between Acton Main Line and Hayes & Harlington. I will also add that TfL Rail's managed stations further west are still awaiting their new facilities (buildings, gatelines, accessible footbridges and lifts).

Excerpt:
Going west
At this point you are probably wondering what this specifically has to do with Crossrail’s western progress. The problem for those wishing to avoid the subject of Crossrail in public meetings is that there is plenty of highly visible work going on between Acton Main Line and West Drayton. Or rather, there are plenty of highly visible construction sites with some work going on. Tellingly, there is also not a lot happening in various areas – most notably station reconstruction.

Also highly visible is the impact, or lack of impact, of TfL taking control of these stations. In contrast to the impressive reputation that goes before them, the impression is one of reluctance to do anything more than the minimum necessary at this stage. With TfL services and some class 345 trains serving these stations from May, it is going to look a sorry sight at some to see the latest state-of-the-art trains serving stations that are neglected, or building sites, or both.

One can understand that TfL Rail management may have more serious things to worry about at the moment and they are perhaps not inclined to focus on a few stations in the west of London that they have recently taken over. Nevertheless the takeover of stations from other operators should be the execution of a standard procedure by now for TfL. The shortcomings are thus not likely to be down to incompetence. One cannot help feeling that money is playing a large part in this. This cannot tell the whole story because some of the things that let down the latest TfL stations are things that could be easily put right with a bit of tender loving care.

Status
Not open for further replies.