• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Croydon-Newhaven November

Status
Not open for further replies.

londonbridge

Established Member
I'm looking to travel from Croydon to Newhaven for a fery to France on Friday November 8th, returning Saturday 9th. I note advance tickets are not yet on sale and have searched but can't find details of any planned engineering work for that weekend. Anyone have an idea when the timetable is likely to be confirmed and advances released?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member

As these are flexible fares it isn't a reliable guide to the service that will run. In fact, it suggests there are indeed engineering works!

@londonbridge: would the journey be impossible/more difficult if there were (say) an hour's delay on the return? If not, unless Southern offer a reliable alert service, you simply have to keep checking back.

Peter C

Established Member
As these are flexible fares it isn't a reliable guide to the service that will run. In fact, it suggests there are indeed engineering works!
Apologies. I just did a quick Google search to find the result posted and thought it was alright.

-Peter

londonbridge

Established Member
Update. Have now booked advance singles, £5 each way.......on the return leg my fery is due into Newhaven at 9.00pm, there are trains fron Newhaven Harbour at 9.30 and 10.00, so I booked the 10.00pm to allow for any delay to the ferry. However if the ferry was delayed to the extent that I missed the 10.00 train I'm assuming the ferry ticket would probably not cover me for acceptance onto the next train at 10.30? On the other hand arrive back on time and a polite word with the train manager might see me accepted onto the 9.30...

Saperstein

Update. Have now booked advance singles, £5 each way.......on the return leg my fery is due into Newhaven at 9.00pm, there are trains fron Newhaven Harbour at 9.30 and 10.00, so I booked the 10.00pm to allow for any delay to the ferry. However if the ferry was delayed to the extent that I missed the 10.00 train I'm assuming the ferry ticket would probably not cover me for acceptance onto the next train at 10.30? On the other hand arrive back on time and a polite word with the train manager might see me accepted onto the 9.30...

Note that Newhaven Town is the nearer station to the passenger terminal these days, but AFAIK you can still use Newhaven Harbour tickets to/from there.

Saperstein

londonbridge

Established Member
Cheers for the heads up. Haven't been to Newhaven for donkeys years and just assumed Harbour would be the nearer station. Last time I went by ferry it was from Dover.

Status
Not open for further replies.