• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Croydon Tram Crash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

neonison

Rather than a tunnel reports suggest the the incident is at the bridge under Addiscombe Road on the Beckenham Junction / Elmer's End line. There is a fairly tight W-N curve at this point.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I have often marvled at the tightness of this curve and the skill of drivers easing off, taking it and rapidly getting up speed again. Really sad to hear things have gone wrong here and hope all are ok

Shimbleshanks

I have often marvled at the tightness of this curve and the skill of drivers easing off, taking it and rapidly getting up speed again. Really sad to hear things have gone wrong here and hope all are ok

I live about two miles away and it has been raining heavily pretty much all all night. Also a lot of leaf fall in the area. May be a factor, maybe not.

Zoidberg

Established Member
Here's an extract from the BBC News page linked to in post #1, i.e. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-37919658

Not a lot of info available, yet.

Five people are trapped and 40 people have been injured after a tram overturned in south London, the city's fire brigade has said.

The Met Police described the accident in Croydon, just after 06:00 GMT, as a "serious incident".

Hannah Collier, who lives nearby, said she saw people being carried away on stretchers.

Police, fire and ambulance crews are at the scene and people are being asked to avoid the area.

Last edited:

Antman

Established Member
I can't help thinking that the tight curve must be relevant here, apparently there was heavy rain at the time. There are unconfirmed reports that the tram has just derailed and not overturned.

Domh245

Established Member
There are unconfirmed reports that the tram has just derailed and not overturned.

That'd probably make sense. I saw a tweet saying that the tram involved was 2 cars which given that all of the photos so far have a picture of 5 car 2554 would suggest that it was just 2 cars of said tram. Certainly you wouldn't think that the tram had overturned looking at the photos (although that might be a rescue tram?)

mirodo

That'd probably make sense. I saw a tweet saying that the tram involved was 2 cars which given that all of the photos so far have a picture of 5 car 2554 would suggest that it was just 2 cars of said tram. Certainly you wouldn't think that the tram had overturned looking at the photos (although that might be a rescue tram?)

That's not the tram involved. This is, very much derailed and on its side:
https://twitter.com/rachaelvenables/status/796273144717803520

Last edited:

Domh245

Established Member
That pic shows the severity of the incident well.

Perhaps someone more skilled than I can post it in this thread.

attachment.php

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Do the Croydon tram routes have anything remotely on the lines of TPWS overspeed grids

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
One of my colleagues found this picture somewhere on twitter.
attachment.php

I can also confirm it was raining very heavily around that time in the Croydon area

Attachments

• tram2.jpg
    tram2.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 1,203
Last edited:

Romney Bobby

I'd say (from Google maps) that there's a good 100m between the tunnel exit and the curve, the majority being tree-lined. Was this the first tram of the morning? If so it may have experienced a railhead with a heavy overnight leaf fall from all that rain whilst braking hard for the curve?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
If it was coming out of Croydon there is a falling gradient and a facing junction immediately before this curve, either of which could be factors in the derailment.

Shimbleshanks

BBC Local Live update reports:
St George's Hospital said: “Following an overturned tram incident in Croydon early this morning, 20 people have been brought to St George’s Hospital for treatment.

"Of these 20 patients, four are seriously injured..."

Last edited by a moderator:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Will the RAIB likely investigate this?

Of course, and I'm very surprised you need to ask. RAIB have investigated many incidents on this system in the past, it would be inconceivable if probably one of the worst incidents so far wouldn't be in scope.

Class455

Established Member
I am really shocked to see such a thing happen, especially how I used to use the trams every single day through that area! It must have done the curve too fast as many times before, drivers used to negotiate this curve with extreme caution. Tram involved was a CR4000, so I think the tram would most likely be written off. Not sure which unit it was. Had I not been in college today, I would have gone down there to have a look. I wish those injured a speedy recovery.

Last edited:

Clip

Established Member
Ooh looks nasty that for them to go right over. Thats the woodside tunnel isnt it?

Johnuk123

Established Member
There are some deaths in this crash.
Sun are reporting 6.

Last edited:

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Declared as a major incident by all three agencies. There were a significant number of injured people, some serious, and sadly some fatalities.

Status
Not open for further replies.