• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Croydon tramlink possible extension to Sutton under threat due to Covid-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

SECR263

I seem to recollect that due to the lack of future funds resulting from the current pandemic situation that the Tramlink extension to Sutton was recently announced as "under threat." Was this extension ever a runner so to speak or is this TfL spin saying a non existent project was cancelled due to no funding absolving Tfl of any non action if the crisis had not happened?

Is there a need for the extension?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Domh245

Established Member
Nothing had been committed to that I can remember, I think there had been a consultation but that was about it

duncanp

Established Member
A tramlink extension to Sutton would provide a useful connection to the Northern Line at Morden, although this is covered at the moment by existing bus services.

However it wouldn't be useful as a connection from Sutton to Croydon, as there is an existing rail route which is much quicker, and if you want to get from Sutton to the tramlink, there is an easy connection at Mitcham Junction.

I did once see something about the line being extended further South from Sutton to serve the London Cancer Hub at the Royal Marsden Hospital in Belmont. This would improve transport links to this important site, but again this could be achieved much more easily with more services on the Epsom Downs Line.

I think it is most unlikely that this extension will go ahead, given the current state of TfL's finances.

Domh245

Established Member
A tramlink extension to Sutton would provide a useful connection to the Northern Line at Morden, although this is covered at the moment by existing bus services.

You don't even need the bus, only a short (.5 mile/10 minute) walk from Morden Road to the tube!

London Trains

I did once see something about the line being extended further South from Sutton to serve the London Cancer Hub at the Royal Marsden Hospital in Belmont. This would improve transport links to this important site, but again this could be achieved much more easily with more services on the Epsom Downs Line.

The Epsom Downs Line cannot have any more services, since it is a single line. In May 2018, the service was increased from 1tph to 2tph all day, and that's the highest frequency possible.

A tram carrying on from the one way loop in Sutton, down Brighton Road, past Sutton station (an extra benefit being it would actually stop in front of the station) all the way to Belmont station, then turning eastwards, running alongside Downs Road to the Royal Marsden would be very useful. The route would replace / supplement a lot of buses - there are a lot of buses along Brighton Road between Sutton and Belmont. Additionally, an extension to Banstead could branch off at Belmont station.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I've an idea tram conversion of the Epsom Downs branch was considered at one point. I'm not sure if Epsom Downs is a useful terminating point for trains, which would suggest keeping it as it is, but I think getting a tram across the main line at Sutton and onto the branch would be quite tricky.

London Trains

I've an idea tram conversion of the Epsom Downs branch was considered at one point. I'm not sure if Epsom Downs is a useful terminating point for trains, which would suggest keeping it as it is, but I think getting a tram across the main line at Sutton and onto the branch would be quite tricky.

It is reasonably easy if you go through the driveway of one house. Have the trams share the short section of road with cars between the one way system (which the tram will run on) and Sutton station, then curve onto Mulgrave Road. Where the road bends, curve the other way, through a driveway, onto the tracks towards Epsom Downs. The line would join right after the end of Platforms 3 and 4, but would mean the platforms could both become terminating platforms without any changes other than buffer stops and a couple crossovers to allow services to run into Platform 3 (currently Londonbound only and limited to 2tph as that is the limit on the single line to Epsom Downs).

Additionally I would get rid of the stupid setup of Sutton station's taxi rank in the middle of Mulgrave Road as it would be way too dangerous once trams are running in the road. I would put the taxi rank next to the back entrance of the station where the carpark is.

duncanp

Established Member
The Epsom Downs Line cannot have any more services, since it is a single line. In May 2018, the service was increased from 1tph to 2tph all day, and that's the highest frequency possible.

The Epsom Downs branch is currently single track beyond Belmont, but it used to be double track (until 1982) , so it should be possible to reinstate the extra track to enable an increase in services.

Extending the tram to the London Cancer Hub would be a good idea, as well as creating a transport interchange there so that buses could either terminate there, or be diverted from their existing routes to serve the hospital.

As it is unlikely that the tram will go ahead for the foreseeable future, the double tracking of the Epsom Downs line should definitely be considered in order to cater for increased traffic to and from the London Cancer Hub, especially as many people will be coming all the way from Central London.

London Trains

As it is unlikely that the tram will go ahead for the foreseeable future, the double tracking of the Epsom Downs line should definitely be considered in order to cater for increased traffic to and from the London Cancer Hub, especially as many people will be coming all the way from Central London.

Not really. Since all the trains that go onto the Epsom Downs line go the really long way into London, basically all journeys (other than from Croydon) are easier to change at Sutton. It would be much easier to change at Sutton onto a bus/tram right to the doorstep of the Cancer Hub than to change at both Sutton and Belmont and walk/catch a bus for the last portion of the journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.