• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cryptic clues = station name

Calthrop

Established Member
Can we take it that it's "open floor"? I have a fresh one to offer, if so.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
Thanks.

Suggesting maybe Amman or Aqaba: not nearly so far away, but still separated from us by sea

backontrack

Established Member
Afraid not.

Correct -- your floor.
Thanks :) I believe that Northern Irish station are technically not allowed, but it's still a great clue - unlike the below...

I went over the sea and I sprained a limb! What did you injure?

Calthrop

Established Member
Thanks :) I believe that Northern Irish station are technically not allowed, but it's still a great clue

Thanks for the praise ! The above issue was discussed on page 144, and consensus seems strongly to be that since Northern Ireland is part of the UK, stations there are admissible (Irish Republic ones, not). We've had a good many clues, with N.I. stations as the answer.

I went over the sea and I sprained a limb! What did you injure?

At present, not the faintest idea; will go on pondering...

backontrack

Established Member
Thanks for the praise ! The above issue was discussed on page 144, and consensus seems strongly to be that since Northern Ireland is part of the UK, stations there are admissible (Irish Republic ones, not). We've had a good many clues, with N.I. stations as the answer.
It's well deserved. Thanks for the clarification.

Calthrop

Established Member
Desperation -- and mispronunciation -- department: Holyhead? (if one can count the Menai Strait and Beddmanarch Bay, as "the sea") -- I got a hole in my head??

backontrack

Established Member
Desperation -- and mispronunciation -- department: Holyhead? (if one can count the Menai Strait and Beddmanarch Bay, as "the sea") -- I got a hole in my head??
It is incorrect, but slightly closer (if not geographically). Think about going 'over the sea' - where might one do that?

Calthrop

Established Member
Now, Skye doesn't have -- and never has had -- public railways (though there were proposals for such there, long ago) -- I'm struggling here...

Calthrop

Established Member
Not altogether sure that I deserve it -- you've had to do so much spoon-feeding -- but, anyway:

Modest place of worship, sound of unaspirated regatta town, and rabbits' deity: make the location of a sad occurrence 61 years ago

Calthrop

Established Member
If I may resort to doggerel:

That has to be the quickest ever --
And I thought that I was being so clever...

Your extremely well-merited floor.

DanTrain

A quick Google of 1957 rail accidents did most of the work!

Afloat at sea with no tea and the muddled up Christian Name of a communist dictator.