• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cryptic clues = station name

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
Thanks -- my go:

Modest accommodation for equines beneath JKR's gainsaid tree-tract, we hear; though much further south than the latter venue's generally understood location.

Calthrop

Established Member
Hint: the equines are not horses; but members of another (usually well-loved) branch of the genus. And that which they are referred to as "beneath": JKR = J.K. Rowling -- think Harry Potter and Hogwarts.

Calthrop

Established Member
Correct ! Ten points for (whichever your Hogwarts house is) -- and, your floor.

neilmc

Geographical Clue 1:

Cantaloupe from Orange County, for example

Easier Geographical clue 2:

One problem with driving is Oman is that you might suddenly find a ----- -- the road!

Calthrop

Established Member
Camelon? (Clue 2 -- self-explanatory. Clue 1 -- melon from Ca. [abbreviation for California]).

neilmc

Spot on Calthrop, I think I made that one too easy as I'd never heard of the place Camelon.

Calthrop

Established Member
Those Scots hide some extremely strange stuff in their Lowlands <D ...

My go, yes?

Imaginable secret instructions from the then king to the person commemorated in the station's name, for something quite like person's historical mission, in double-talk - Jim ! A la covert, spy thou in Ossie, 'K?

neilmc

I'm looking for a station which is a 27-letter anagram from "Jim" to "K" including J and K and V but not "and", but I haven't spotted it. am I on the right lines??

Calthrop

Established Member
You are indeed. Keep looking; and -- see my hint -- its being managed by Northern, should narrow things down some.

Calthrop

Established Member
Further hint: corny old joke featuring the person commemorated in the station's name --

Quizmaster: [Person commemorated] made three voyages of exploration, and was killed during one of them. Which one?

Sweet dotty old lady: Please, any chance you could ask something else? I was never any good at history.

neilmc

Ah - I think it's James Cook University Hospital - it was just called James Cook on the map I used!

Calthrop

Established Member
That's the one. I wasn't trying deliberately to make life more difficult: my 2013/14 all-lines timetable has it as James Cook University Hospital, and Google confirmed it as such.
Your -- well-earned -- floor.

neilmc

Clue: Think tennis rather than Davenport as a location and it will become very easy ... won't it??

Calthrop

Established Member
Kirton Lindsey? (I'm not au fait with this "tennis" thing by which many people set such store -- had to run the above additional clue past my sporty brother.)

neilmc

Right of course - (s)kirt on Lindsey (Davenport), renowned ladies player of around 20 years ago. Said station is favoured by a Saturdays-only service.

Calthrop

Established Member
I feel that a fair reward would be, to ask my brother to think up the next one :) ; but though he's a genius about sport-type stuff, he doesn't do cryptics. So, from me:

Idle Welsh idyll: (Anglophone) swain recommends taking it easy, to his lady-love

Calthrop

Established Member
Hint: the answer could conceivably be two words, or three. The clue works, either way.

Calthrop

Established Member
I thought this would be an easy one -- further hints, hard to think up ! Lad's (English-language) words to his lass might be thought maybe more American, than British, English; but only to a small extent.

Calthrop

Established Member
This one clearly isn't going anywhere. The answer is Sugar Loaf aka Sugar Loaf Halt. Either version would work: the lover is saying to his lass, "Sugar" (it might have been "Honey") -- "Loaf" = take it easy, don't exert yourself; plus (should it be so) "Halt" from your being busy and active.

Open floor.

DanTrain

Seeing as it's still open floor, try this one:

At the bottom of a large hole, a key turns to unveil a large amount of rye, removed without an echo.